• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new beginning.

Ceadren

First Post
Avoiding the overtured pews Caedren looks around the room insearch of any obvious traps. Eyeing the wrought iron stair case next to the alter he starts towards it.

"Let's go upstairs and see what we can find." He said to Aervir. Turning to dravis and Aerlyn, "We'll yell if anything turns up."

GladiusNP

First Post
Aervir and Caedren ascend the final steps of the winding staircase. Their footfalls change from the ringing noises of boots on iron to the dull clack of soles on stone. A faint breeze blows through here, from all directions - it is open to the sky. The faint warmth of the morning sun is a pleasant change from the miasma of refuse below. Caedren moves to the center of the room, which is dominated by a siege crossbow, which is facing the woods to the north. It appears to have been recently turned at the base - a heavy and laborious task. There is also a rack of rusted iron against one wall, holding several spears, which jut up into the view of the forest like so many jagged teeth. Aervir crosses to south side, and looks out and down over the keep. Caedren also looks around, and sees three intact towers, and the crumbled remains of a fourth. To the south, a large courtyard runs up to the remnant of the southern wall. An outer, recently cleared area runs away to the forest. A palisade of sharpened wooden stakes rears up about halfway to the trees. Aervir turns to go back down.
""I think I should deal with the chalice, Caedren, if there's nothing else you want me for up here."

Aerlyn moves the side of the curtain gingerly aside with her spear. A small garret lies beyond the curtain, with a narrow, squat bed, and a small, cramped writing desk. The bedclothes are matted and untidy. At the foot of the bed rests a small chest.

Dravis examines the writing desk as Aerlyn goes to the chest. Upon it rests a small brazier. Carefully, Dravis looks inside. A layer of fine, grey ash coats the bottom. A few larger pieces remain (Intelligence Check 18 - 1 = 17.) and Dravis realises that these are the remnants of burnt parchments. He examines the rest of the desk, and sees a small drawer below the main writing desk. He reaches for it, then pauses, unsure of whether he should open it.

Aerlyn looks closely at the chest. It appears to be made of pine, and has slightly rusty iron fittings. The latch on the front hangs casually open. Undecided, Aerlyn looks up at Dravis, curious as to what he's going to do.

Aerlyn

First Post
Aerlyn looks at Dravis and then back to the drawer. "Dravis, if you are suspicious of that drawer I could cast detect magic to make sure that it isn't rigged with a spell."

WraithSpawn

First Post
"Aye, that would be a good idea Aerlyn, however, I fear that it may be trapped by device. Cast your magic and we shall see."

(OOC- If Magic Detected)
Dravis consults Aerlyn on what they should do.

(OOC- If NO Magic Detected)
Dravis tells Aerlyn to move out of the room so that he may open the drawer without fear of hurting her.

Last edited:

Ceadren

First Post
The Lull Continues...

Finding nothing of interest in the upper room, Caedren walks back down the spiral staircase with Aervir right behind. Once clear of the stairs he turns and looks past the open curtain to watch Aerlyn cast her Detect Magic spell.

OOC - Don't forget it's Mother's Day today(for you guys)!

GladiusNP

First Post
Aerlyn's spell reveals nothing magical in the drawer. Turning to the chest, she checks it as well. Neither seems to have any sort of magical aura.
"Dravis, both seem to be unenchanted."
Dracvis simply nods, and sets his spear to one side, gesturing Aerlyn out of the room, who meets up with the two warriors as they descend the stairs.

Dravis first yanks open the drawer, flinching back. Nothing happens. He then turns to the chest, and throws the lid back. Neither is even locked. Dravis first looks in the chest. A large cloth sack lays on the bottom, filled with something. Upon the sack lays four heavy silver armbands, worked with orc runes. They are curiously sectioned, and look like they could be quite easily snapped. Around them lays a scattered score or so of silver coins, mostly Imperial mint. Beneath the sack, Dravis finds a small pouch. The pouch is full of gold coins, seemingly double-marks. Dravis is surprised to see that they are shiny and pristine. They are the least worn coins he's ever seen in his life. The sack is quite heavy, and is filled with silver dust.

The rest of the group enters. Dravis quickly shows his find to the rest.

The desk holds four sheets of writing paper, a single bottle of ink, a small case closed with a black iron clasp, and a closed book, which is burned and blackened at one end. It seems to have been salavaged from a fire at one point.

(Alex - tell me if you want to hide anything from the others. If not, Dravis and Aervir thinks the armbands are worth around 40 gold, Caedren thinks about 41 gold, Aerlyn thinks more like 35 gold. All agree the silver dust weighs about the same as the heavy armbands. There are 18 doublemarks, worth ~36 or more gp depending on weight. These look good. There are 31 silver pennies on the sack. These are old and tarnished, similar to most other coins in Faratia.)

Last edited:

Aerlyn

First Post
Aerlyn quickly opens the door after hearing Dravis open the chest and drawer. She runs to his side asking what he has found and immediately notices the book. She quickly scoops up the book, hoping that it may contain something that will help her in her quest. After quickly scanning through the pages of the book, she noticed the glimmer of gold in the chest and asks Dravis how much he has found.

Ceadren

First Post
OOC - If Dravis decides not to be greedy…

“The spirits truly favor us this day! Perhaps we can all buy some finer weapons!”

OOC - If Dravis decides to be a little greedy…

“Good find Dravis! I leave it to you if you want to split it.”

OOC – If Dravis keeps it all to himself…

Caedren lowers his head in disappointment. “Perhaps we will find some treasure somewhere else in the keep.”

GladiusNP

First Post
Aervir goes to the defiled chalice on the altar, praying in front of it, then picking it up and beginning to cleanse some of the filth from it, reverently wiping it. He finishes this as the others finish discussing the treasure. He comes up behind Caedren to hear the elf's last line. As he steps through into the small garret, filling the doorway - and the room, with his bulk, he speaks, saying
"I agree it is a good find, Caedren, but we need to move on. I still think we need to find both the truth of the vampire rumours and the priest's purpose. I suggest we check the other two towers first. I would also like to reconsecrate this chapel." He checks the edge of his sword slowly and methodically, obviously ready to hunt the priest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads