• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A New Campaign Setting for 5E?

Oni

First Post
Here is the thing, I don't think there is a lot of room to do a setting that is generic enough to fit the idea of the classic D&D stereotype without basically ending up with a retread or pastiche of a setting that already exist, like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Mystara, et c. It wouldn't be worth the effort IMHO to make something new when an update to an existing setting would likely sell better anyway. As for tying those too closely together in one setting, well a lot of people don't take kindly to an extensive level of tinkering with classic setting, it would cause a crapstorm. To make something new that would be worth the time it would have be at least different enough to take it away from that ultra generic state that it wouldn't be a proper fit for everyone's D&D game, at least as different as Eberron if not more so, so while I expect they will make a new setting it may be a bit before they get around to it.

Of course I could be wrong, people have been eating up Golarion like nobody's business. But the flipside of that is a huge list of also rans, many of which came from WotC or TSR themselves, not to mention other companies.

Yora

Legend
I am not quite sure about that. Many of the classic settings are quite similar, but what fans mostly like about them are the interesting places and people. And the point when I become bored with a setting is when there is too much material and it appears as if every mystery has been solved and any possible scenario been run through.
If well written and populated by interesting people and filled with fascinating locations, even a very generic setting could be quite popular for the next 10 to 20 years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads