• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A paladin in Hell? (actually the Abyss. . .)

I always figured the problem with "A Paladin in Hell/The Abyss" is that it's too easy for the player to make his character incorruptible. Sure, there might be some ultra-dedicated role-players who will allow the DM to corrupt their paladin - but most won't.

So the trick is: what can you do to tempt the player into compromising his character's moral principles?

There have been a number of good ideas in this thread already. I'll just venture a couple more.

First, I'm assuming the player desperately wants to get his character back to the rest of the group. You need to play on this desperation. I would go so far as to tell him, "We really can't have you rejoin the group until you get out of The Abyss." This is deliberately conflating the "you" of the player with the "you" of the character.

Now, what is he willing to do to get out? Is he willing to...

... give up his cohort? Maybe. I don't know how devoted your player is to his cohort. It depends upon whether you let him run the cohort himself, or whether you run it for him. It also depends upon how useful that cohort is to him, how long they've been together, and a bunch of other intangibles that you would know better than me.

... give up his dead cleric friend? I assume he's lugging the guy around for a reason, but the cleric is dead after all. The cleric's soul is safe in wherever, and there's not much the demons can do to the body that the Tomb of Horrors hasn't already done, right?

Perhaps some power in The Abyss offers the paladin a way out. But only two can leave. Does he take his live cohort? Or the dead cleric? ("Good riddance!" the demons would probably think, to that one.) Or does he selflessly send his cohort through with the body?

It still might be too easy for the player to resist these temptations. So, how careful is he?

Suppose he is set upon by a powerful enemy: the Winter Wight tracks him down, or some random demon desides to squash him. While he fights, another demon arrives and turns the tide of the battle - getting back at a rival demon, or just banishing that interloping Winter Wight. Afterwards, the helpful demon offers to point the paladin to a way home, saying, "I just need to borrow your dagger or something as a focus while I open the gate." Of course the demon has no intention of returning the borrowed item, and will later use it for some nasty ritual....

Again, a paranoid player might see through this, too. So how about my final gasp.

Your group is probably pretty close to going up against Acererak himself, correct? They've been fighting his minions for months of game-time. There have been deaths galore. They've lost friends, gold, and items. They should be itching to put a stop to the demilich, forever.

The paladin in The Abyss is shown a vision of his group fighting Acererak... and failing. One by one, his friends die in gruesome ways, until only he is left... and the vision goes dark. Allow the player to use divinations or other investigation tactics to learn that this is an absolutely true vision: if the group confronts Acererak, they will fail, and all will die. Unless... there is a certain demon who has information, information that will allow the group to succeed. Will the paladin trade with this demon? Is stopping Acererak worth compromising his principles? (I assume the group knows or can guess what kinds of awful stuff will happen if Acererak is not stopped.)

It's possible that none of these dilemmas will tempt the paladin's player. But, by targeting the player, rather than the character, I think you make the game that much more interesting. The player wants to rejoin his friends, he wants information about their foe, and he might get a little sloppy about lending things to demons. If the player can overcome all those pitalls, then he (and his character) deserve to escape from The Abyss.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Of course, it probably should be easy for a player to make his character incorruptible. Why should all paladins be corruptible and able to be turned down the dark path if they're put in the right circumstances? I don't see it as a sign of an ultra-dedicated role-player to allow the DM to corrupt the paladin. Instead, that's the sign of a player who wanted to play a corruptible paladin and likes--or at least doesn't mind--the idea of playing a fallen paladin.

There are lots of good ideas here (although I have to wonder about the "only two can pass through the gate/would the paladin leave his cohort?" scenario. Couldn't the paladin stuff the body in a bag of holding and leave with his cohort? Does it make a difference if the cohort volunteers to stay behind and fights to make the paladin leave? In that case, does it make a difference if the player or the DM is playing the cohort?). The thing that I wanted to make clear is that a good DM should never feel like his job is to make paladins fall. To tempt them yes, to ensure that they fall to temptation--unequivocally no.

JERandall said:
I always figured the problem with "A Paladin in Hell/The Abyss" is that it's too easy for the player to make his character incorruptible. Sure, there might be some ultra-dedicated role-players who will allow the DM to corrupt their paladin - but most won't.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Elder-Basilisk, and I never meant to say that all paladins should be corrupted. Nor do I want to promote a DM vs. player mentality.

Life is full of temptations to cut corners, to be careless or selfish, to do things you know you shouldn't in the interests of some greater end. In D&D a paladin can face all those temptations, too, and overcome them! That's what it's all about when you're playing a champion of law and goodness, right? Being steadfast in the face of chaos and evil. I just thought it would be fun for James to torment his player a bit. All in good fun.

Well, I don't want to turn this into another debate about the true meaning of paladinhood, or an essay about how to role-play, so I'll shut up now. :)

James McMurray

First Post
Thanks for all the great ideas folks! I settled on having the demon that once ruled the Keep the party is assaulting offer an alliance to the paladin. I'd post the email I sent, but I didn't CC myself and the player hasn't responded yet. :(

JERandall, I especially like your ideas. Of course, the party has already faced Acererak and failed, making one unusable. Rejoining the party isn't much of a lever to use either, as currently the paladin and his cohort are the only two party members left alive. :)

I'll be sure to post how it turns out.

Thanks again folks!

James --

Ah, but the fact that the party has already faced Acererak and failed open up another possibility - if you want to use it.

The demon shows the paladin a vision - a vision which is a replay of the party's disastrous confrontation with Acererak. He then offers this once in a lifetime opportunity: to travel back in time and confront Acererak again, this time armed with foreknowledge of A's capabilities, strategies, and allies. If you think that the party would refuse this out of hand (because they would just get clobbered again), then have the demon throw in some powerful magical aid or demonic assistance... perhaps a way to remove A's pet Balor from the equation?

In any case, this should be a mighty tempting offer for the PCs, both because it would give them a chance to beat Acererak, and because time travel is inherently cool.

Now, what does the paladin have to do for the demon to take advantage of his generous time travel offer? Hmm....

Remove ads