D&D 5E A Peek At Witchlight's WARDUKE!

We've known for a while that next month's Wild Beyond the Witchlight features a number of 80s D&D characters, including Warduke the evil fighter. We now have a clear view of what he looks like in his 5E incarnation!

5B8DD1D7-C8B2-4642-AF6F-81965656E1C8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Danny Downer here.

Not to be a naysayer but there's a line between "outfit designed to strike fear in the enemy" and "trying too hard." And this is a skosh over that line.

Like, I get that he's big and powerful but does he need a miniature fanny pack version of the horned skull from his shield? It's not as bad as, say, Apocalypse running around with an "A" belt buckle but it's definitely in Serpentor territory.

darjr

I crit!
Danny Downer here.

Not to be a naysayer but there's a line between "outfit designed to strike fear in the enemy" and "trying too hard." And this is a skosh over that line.

Like, I get that he's big and powerful but does he need a miniature fanny pack version of the horned skull from his shield? It's not as bad as, say, Apocalypse running around with an "A" belt buckle but it's definitely in Serpentor territory.
Wait. I thought the funny over the line thing was part of the point?

AcererakTriple6

Autistic DM (he/him)
This art is freaking awesome. I love 5e's art so much.

I'm excited to see his stats. I personally am wondering if they do what Waterdeep: Dragon Heist did, and reprint some of the Humanoid NPC Stat Blocks from Volo's Guide to Monster, but make slight changes to fit more specific NPCs (I could see Warduke being a Warlord with an added Flametongue and maybe some magical armor or a shield).

I'm personally very intrigued to see how the players can deal with him in a non-combat way. (Maybe it'll be similar to how you can deal with Arkhan the Cruel in Descent into Avernus. . .)

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
This art is freaking awesome. I love 5e's art so much.

I'm excited to see his stats. I personally am wondering if they do what Waterdeep: Dragon Heist did, and reprint some of the Humanoid NPC Stat Blocks from Volo's Guide to Monster, but make slight changes to fit more specific NPCs (I could see Warduke being a Warlord with an added Flametongue and maybe some magical armor or a shield).

I'm personally very intrigued to see how the players can deal with him in a non-combat way. (Maybe it'll be similar to how you can deal with Arkhan the Cruel in Descent into Avernus. . .)

I'm guessing they'll give him a unique stat block, that's been the pattern for the past 3 years I think.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm guessing they'll give him a unique stat block, that's been the pattern for the past 3 years I think.
Either Dungeon or Dragon magazine (I think Dungeon) gave his 3E stats, and I’ve noticed Dragonbait’s statblock in Tomb of Annihilation, so I can certainly see him getting a statblock (and probably an encounter!) in Witchlight - though that might be at odds with the “can complete the adventure without combat” statement for the adventure.

Azzy

KMF DM
I do hope that his stats are closer to the original than the epic-level Dungeon version. I always thought that version was a bit gratuitous.

The kid is remarkably tame and innocent in dungeon crawling. For example: in the very first adventure, we came across a goblin guarding a door.

The solution: jumping over the guard to get to the door, since that's how Bilbo got past Gollum in the Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit movie.

We all draw from our experiences and consumed media to inform our choices while playing. It's not the kid's fault that their breadth of influences is not very wide yet.
That's so funny. I played my kid through his very first adventure while camping a few years ago--totally spontaneous, working from a vague memory of Tomb of Horrors, him playing a character we wrote up on a paper plate haha. Same thing--the first encounter, he came across a goblin fighting with a (bigger) orc over possession of a golden key that would open a door later in the adventure. Rather than jumping into the fray against both or at least waiting for one to kill the other, he jumped in to save the goblin, then as I role-played him, he became my kid's character's companion. In the final adventure, the goblin runs off, seemingly betraying my kid, but then returns in the knick of time with some fellow goblins to help win the day. In the end, my kid conquered the dungeon and got the treasure, but only took what he could carry and left his goblin friend to be the new "king of the goblins".

Flash forward to a few years later after he properly learned D&D 5e and I ran his same character through Tyranny of Dragons. When the forces of good marshaled at the Well of Dragons in the finale, my son's old goblin friend, who had over time become the ruler of a vast tribe of goblins, came to repay his debt to his old friend and fight side-by-side. My kid just about lost his mind. One of the great DMing moments of my gaming life :ROFLMAO:

Visit Our Sponsor

Latest threads

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4