• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A playthrough of The Shattered Obelisk (spoilers)

Not to hijack your thread @MerricB but I just wanted to give my update instead of making another thread.

My group just finished up Zorzulas Rest and defeated Ruxithid. It was fun "boss" fight. At the end when the reveal happens I sprinkled in some Vecna seasoning to hopefully tie into the new Vecna adventure. We shall see though. Overall we are having fun.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Not to hijack your thread @MerricB but I just wanted to give my update instead of making another thread.

My group just finished up Zorzulas Rest and defeated Ruxithid. It was fun "boss" fight. At the end when the reveal happens I sprinkled in some Vecna seasoning to hopefully tie into the new Vecna adventure. We shall see though. Overall we are having fun.
No, go for it! :)

Shattered Obelisk is weird. I like many things about it, but it also feels less than it should be.

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
No, go for it! :)

Shattered Obelisk is weird. I like many things about it, but it also feels less than it should be.

I wonder if it only feels less than it should be for DMs. I had that feeling too, but my players are loving it. Gaming again tonight after two weeks away and the weirdness has arrived at Phandalin.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder if it only feels less than it should be for DMs. I had that feeling too, but my players are loving it. Gaming again tonight after two weeks away and the weirdness has arrived at Phandalin.
There are some weird editing errors, but as with Hoard of the Dragon Queen experience in actiluql.play is going to be a different story.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Briny Maze really made my players wonder what was going on with the adventure.

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Latest update: The group returned from Zorzula's Rest only to find many weird things going on in the town. Encephalon Gemmules, mutated cows, fungus with scales and people in extreme moods. They decided to evacuate the town, convincing Townmaster Harbin to lead the evacuation and cojoling or threatening those that were not keen. They helped everyone pack up supplies and they made their way to the safety of Wave Echo Cave. Then off to Talhundereth where they have made their way round to the treasure vault, using a Shape Stone spell to get in.

So the module has now gone off track with Phandelver empty of people. All good. Once the party finishes chapter 6 I will put a pause on. It's the natural place for a stop as they don't have enough clues to proceed. The town itself will have seemed to have thrown off the evil effects and they can settle. They have all had houses built for them now, except one of the characters who has the noble background. He is spending all the party treasure on the restoration of Tresendor Manor, but they have the income from Wave Echo Cave after that.

Then Sildar will return from Neverwinter to recruit their help for a special mission which will be chapter one of the new Vecna module. Once they have done that then it will be back to Phandelver where everything can go off the rails as per the module.

That's the plan, anyhow.

We were able to get two sessions in this past weekend. A 5 hr session sat night and a 2 hr session Sunday afternoon. With Ruxithid out of the way and new clues gathered from the crystal and the the map found in Ruxithids war room they have a new quest to plan for. The party helped the survivors of Zorzulas Rest safely get back back to Phandelin and made a new alliance with the sawplee goblins.

They party returned to Phandelin and met up with their associate Gywm who was very interested in the map they found. She was also able to help point them to their next quest destination. After a much needed long rest and a resupply the party helped a few village folk with some issues.

After a few days in Phandelin the party packed up and made it to Talhundreth. They have explored a good portion of the west wing. That's where we called it a day and will pick up there in a few weeks.

So far it's been fun and everyone is having a good time. I asked of they wanted to keep playing their characters once this game ended or if they wanted to start over with new characters. They want to keep going so Vecna will definitely be next after this game.

Remove ads