A question about Goliath Barbarian Racial Substitution levels.

IcyCool

First Post
So, I was reading through the Mountain Rage(Ex) ability, and it seems to be horrifically potent. It replaces Rage, and gives the following benefits:

Increases size to Large. The goliath gets the associated penalties and bonuses (such as the +2 STR bonus) and such for being large. Flavor-wise, they don't get much bigger, but they get a space/reach of 10ft./10ft.

If I am reading it right, they get the benefits of Rage and they get an additional +4 STR, +4 Con, +2 to will saves and -2 to AC.

So, if you start with a Goliath with a strength of 20, and he Mountain Rages, he now has 30 STR, +8 Con, +4 to will saves and -5 to AC?

IanB

First Post
IcyCool said:
So, I was reading through the Mountain Rage(Ex) ability, and it seems to be horrifically potent. It replaces Rage, and gives the following benefits:

Increases size to Large. The goliath gets the associated penalties and bonuses (such as the +2 STR bonus) and such for being large. Flavor-wise, they don't get much bigger, but they get a space/reach of 10ft./10ft.

If I am reading it right, they get the benefits of Rage and they get an additional +4 STR, +4 Con, +2 to will saves and -2 to AC.

So, if you start with a Goliath with a strength of 20, and he Mountain Rages, he now has 30 STR, +8 Con, +4 to will saves and -5 to AC?

I was actually just looking at that last night. I think there's got to be an error in the description, but I haven't decided exactly which part is wrong. ;)

boolean

Explorer
Is this the sentence you're looking at?

"However, the barbarian gains these benefits in addition to the normal benefits and penalties of his rage (+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 on Will saves, and -2 AC)."

The way I read it, "these benefits" refers to the +2 Strength, and size increase. The section in parentheses is simply re-stating the normal benefits and penalties.

So a mountain raging barbarian gains a total of +6 Strength, with all of the rest as normal.

IcyCool

First Post
boolean said:
Is this the sentence you're looking at?

"However, the barbarian gains these benefits in addition to the normal benefits and penalties of his rage (+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 on Will saves, and -2 AC)."

The way I read it, "these benefits" refers to the +2 Strength, and size increase. The section in parentheses is simply re-stating the normal benefits and penalties.

So a mountain raging barbarian gains a total of +6 Strength, with all of the rest as normal.

That is the sentence, and your reading makes sense, but is there an official clarification on it? Heck, I'd even feel better with a FAQ answer on it. No CustServ answer though, please. While I'd appreciate the effort, I wouldn't find the answer all that useful.

IcyCool said:
That is the sentence, and your reading makes sense, but is there an official clarification on it?

I don't think there would be; reading it, there is absolutely no question in my mind that it is merely restating the normal benefits / penalties of raging.

IcyCool

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I don't think there would be; reading it, there is absolutely no question in my mind that it is merely restating the normal benefits / penalties of raging.

The problem arises, in my mind at least, because that sentence is in a separate paragraph, and no benefits are listed prior to the listing of the Rage benefits.

Remove ads