• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question about Reach

Rkhet

First Post
Given

a) medium-sized humanoid, preferably one of the standard races

and

b) wielding a medium-sized non-reach weapon

Is it possible to get 15" or more reach?

Eloi

First Post
I can see a typical humanoid of Medium size, 5' threat range when armed with a Medium, one handed/maybe two handed, non-Reach weapon, going up to 10' of threat range when Enlarged, if he had a weapon like a Bastard sword he could opt to use two-handedly. (Large creature plus an weapon enlargement (M becomes L) good for 5' in reach.) But if he's not using a potentially two handed-weapon to start with, the Enlarge wouldn't do anything special for him, and he'd be stuck with 5' of threat range still.

I came across a bit concerning Reach when looking into creating balanced races from which characters might come: the first 5' is standard for what you can threaten as a Medium creature, extra 5' chunks are worth about a character level each. So if you are trying to incorporate a few PCs with, shall we say, "extra endowments", be sure and make them pay cash for the special favor. You want an extra 10' of threat range? Pony up two levels.

You wouldn't happen to be working on a 6th level Improved Enlarge spell, would you? Two extra size categories would be kind of useful sometimes. Especially if you know someone with grafted-on Otyugh or Roper tentacles..

Rkhet said:
Given

a) medium-sized humanoid, preferably one of the standard races

and

b) wielding a medium-sized non-reach weapon

Is it possible to get 15" or more reach?

Dragon #331 has an article called "The Point of Pole Arms." The stats for the awl pike give it a 15-ft. reach, but it cannot be used against opponents 5 or 10 ft. away.

Scharlata

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Dragon #331 has an article called "The Point of Pole Arms." The stats for the awl pike give it a 15-ft. reach, but it cannot be used against opponents 5 or 10 ft. away.

Yupp. The article has nice feats, too, by the way.

Rkhet

First Post
Not quite what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for spells and Prc abilities that grant reach, while being medium-sized (so no size-enhancing effects) and wielding a normal weapon (say, a longsword).

I'm reasonably certain that it cannot be pulled off by feats and weapons alone.

Scharlata

First Post
Rkhet said:
[...] I'm more looking for spells and Prc abilities that grant reach, while being medium-sized (so no size-enhancing effects) and wielding a normal weapon (say, a longsword).[...]

I'm not sure if this could be the right way, but...

... look into the Book of Vile Darkness and read the description of the Thrall of Demogorgon. She has quite an exceptional class feature.

Enjoy!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rkhet said:
Ah, interesting. But that's only +5 feet. Anything else that's similiar?

Depends whether the Thrall of Demogorgon's class feature lets you qualify for the Extended Reach feat from Savage Species or not :)

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads