A Question Of Agency?

Imaro

Legend
You're saying that the officially published adventures are doing it wrong, consistently so? I mean, while I'm highly sympathetic to that idea, I haven't exactly seen much (if any) criticism that the published adventures aren't following the guidance you're claiming here. That's a steep hill to climb to claim that the adventures are examples of user error that consistently.

I'm saying read the DMG.... plain and simple. I don't run published adventures and yes since the business side is the major concern with published adventures here ease of use, page count, misunderstandings, etc. could easily take precedence over fully utilizing the rules and advice that was published. Especially if it's not adversely affecting sales.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm not constructing an entire scenario here just a quick example so you may need to extrapolate certain things... but yes it would probably be possible to learn the Moon tribe worships... surprise, surprise... the Moon goddess and thus I make the choice to play up my piety.

I made the choice to play my character with those characteristics vs others which had a meaningful effect on play... whether the results are pre-scripted or not shouldn't matter as long as what I did caused a game state change through the choice I made.
The counter to this is that it's only there because the GM placed it (or is following the text, which is functionally the same thing). You, as a player, cannot choose to play up your piety and push that so that the game responds -- you can't choose to have something like the Moon tribe be important -- only the GM does this (in any game with such a text). As such the "path" to the end is still ruled by the same thing -- the GM's desire -- and not the players. While you can definitely explore the GM's desires in different ways, is that a useful observation in the context of agency?

And, as always, this kind of play can be extremely fun -- I'm not knocking it at all. We're looking at a specific aspect of play, not a holistic view of play. The fact that APs can be lots of fun is not disputed, what's under discussion here is looking specific at how much agency you're wielding in this play. It's not a lot, honestly, and I say this having run and played in APs in the last few years.

Imaro

Legend
No, not at all! The path matters, for sure. My point in this is that we can look at two games after the fact, one of which is an absolute railroad and the other consisted of the GM abdicating things on the fly and all participants playing to find out what happens.

In both of those games, the players may be absolutely free to add characterization and a sense of backstory and personality to their characters. Would you agree that this is true?

If so, then isn't it clear that it is not just the construction and expression of a fictional personality for a PC that constitutes player agency? Doesn't it mean that those things (all things, really) have to actually matter to the outcome of play?
Is someone arguing it is the only form of player agency? I'm certainly not... but I also believe it can easily be a type of player agency...

It's possible, sure. But it is not essential to agency. Meaning, that it can happen without changing the game state, right?

This is why declaring that the ability for a player to breath life into their PCs through personality and characterization is an indicator of agency is false.
It is false or true totally dependent upon the game being played, the DM/GM running it and numerous other factors. That's the problem with blanket statements.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm saying read the DMG.... plain and simple. I don't run published adventures and yes since the business side is the major concern with published adventures here ease of use, page count, misunderstandings, etc. could easily take precedence over fully utilizing the rules and advice that was published. Especially if it's not adversely affecting sales.
I have read the DMG, multiple times. I'm a huge participant in threads that recommend following the DMG. I don't, in fact, disagree with you that play is better if you do it the way you're recommending -- I recommend it as well. What I'm saying is that you're mistaken that this is as concrete as you suggest -- it's more hinted at in a lot of places. And, again, as strong evidence that it isn't as concrete as you say, I point to the official products that don't do what you suggest. That you're don't run APs is really a non sequitur -- so what, I try to avoid them as well. But, if the company that produces the rules also produces multiple popular products that treat those rules differently from how you understand them AND there's a virtual dearth of complaints about that difference, perhaps your understanding of the concreteness of the DMG's recommendations is flawed. Not, mind, your recommendations -- these are excellent, and I do find them hinted at in the DMG.

Imaro

Legend
The counter to this is that it's only there because the GM placed it (or is following the text, which is functionally the same thing). You, as a player, cannot choose to play up your piety and push that so that the game responds -- you can't choose to have something like the Moon tribe be important -- only the GM does this (in any game with such a text). As such the "path" to the end is still ruled by the same thing -- the GM's desire -- and not the players. While you can definitely explore the GM's desires in different ways, is that a useful observation in the context of agency?

But the adventure is responding... again whether pre-scripted or not it is a specific response to my actions. And my choice is whether I do or don't play that piety up or rather I go in a different direction with my characterization which may or may not have different results. As long as there is a reasonable way for me to determine the likely effect my characterization will have beforehand, I would argue that is choice with agency... and if we are using D&D as an example insight would be my go to skill for that.
And, as always, this kind of play can be extremely fun -- I'm not knocking it at all. We're looking at a specific aspect of play, not a holistic view of play. The fact that APs can be lots of fun is not disputed, what's under discussion here is looking specific at how much agency you're wielding in this play. It's not a lot, honestly, and I say this having run and played in APs in the last few years.
It seems you are looking at a specific type of agency (non-scripted results perhaps). I on the other hand accept that agency can exist even if there is pre-determined results for the exertion of said agency.

EDIT: I am curious when dealing with non-scripted results where the player can narrate success but not failure how does the player measure risk vs reward in order to make a meaningful choice? Especially if the GM is creating the failure state on the fly...

Not all the agency/types of agency important to me. But the point was that railroads are still not 0 agency games.
The assertion isn't 'zero agency', but that they are at the lowest baseline level of player agency that is likely to exist in any RPG, some niche exceptions (Paranoia for example) aside. It seems odd to center the debate on THAT. Everyone grants that players RP their characters and often make decisions based on that RP, and that being able to make decisions which steer the character to a different 'region' of the fiction is a form of player agency. Again, it is pretty much the baseline, and the fact that even the most strictly 'classic' GMs seem to (on paper at least) agree to abhor force, illusionism, and most railroading in principle seems to validate that.

While not directly fun, Traps of the style indicated can be very mood inducing. And while maybe not the best way to arrive at this feeling they can give players a sense that danger is around every corner which often can enhance the experience. They also give players players something that can be particularly interesting to overcome ( though not the you take 10 damage style ones)
Yeah, the atmosphere thing is fair. I had a whole LONG thread on traps, years back, and we did come up with that as one function of traps. The 'toll bridge' COULD also be a viable function in a case where it is presented as "quickly escape through this trapped corridor, or go the roundabout way and risk capture." or something like that.

Still, the way traps are presented, and the 'Theivery' or 'Slight of Hand' or 2e-style 'find & remove traps' work, the fun is precluded unless you ignore how those work. As 5e reads a trap is just a thing that you have to find with Perception, or else set off, and then try to disarm with 'Thieves Tools' or else (I'm not sure what the or else is here). There isn't any rules process for engaging with a trap as a 'puzzle'. It isn't even totally clear that Perception vs Investigation is the correct skill for understanding what they do. I mean, most traps have some fiction associated, and that may suggest a way to bypass them (IE jump over the square containing the plate).

It is, obviously, one of those things where you can simply ignore some rules and maybe interpret using tools in a certain way and create an 'OSR-like' kind of scenario, but it is definitely not really the default (well, since skills and tools are actually options in 5e it is not clear what the DEFAULT rules for traps even are...).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
How is it being challenged?

Is there a RPG that you can site that does not allow a player to give characterization and personality to their character?

I don't think that this was dismissed as meaningless to the experience of the game.....indeed, many people may play solely for this purpose. But is it something that some games allow and some do not? Or is it simply safe to accept this as a baseline of playing a RPG?

I’ve seen rpgs cited here which give control of my characters beliefs to the dm. Surely those are examples that limit your ability to give personality and characterization to your character?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I’ve seen rpgs cited here which give control of my characters beliefs to the dm. Surely those are examples that limit your ability to give personality and characterization to your character?
The games I've seen, there's some mechanical way for the GM to inflict this as damage, because these mental facets of your character (trying really hard to avoid specific game terms) can be staked in tests. This isn't wildly unlike in 5E, the results for failing a Wis save after an hour within a mile (?) of a demon lord, where you can be forced to add a Flaw to your character sheet. The closest I've seen to the kind of thing you're talking about are games that have as part of chargen a requirement that you have mechanical ties to other PCs on your character sheet, and/or a requirement that you have something like the Trouble Aspect later versions of Fate want.

EDIT: Kinda ninja'd by @Ovinomancer

Remove ads