• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question regarding Swordmage Multiclass feats...

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
I'm making a Wizard with a multiclass into Swordmage. Before the recent update, the Character Builder had let me choose both the Heart of the Blade and Blade Initiate MC feats. After the last update, my character is now considered houseruled, and I realized it's because of the two MC feats. It will still let me choose both (they don't disappear like "illegal" choices usually do).

So, first question, was the CB right before when it said it was legal to have 2 multiclass feats for the same class, or is it right now that it says it's a "houseruled" character?

If the latter, I'm trying to figure out the reason for the Heart of the Blade MC feat (From Arcane Power) to exist at all. Mechanically, it's an absolutely silly choice by itself. It requires more to take it (13 con/int vs. Blade Initiate's 13 int), and doesn't give you the use of Swordmage implements for Swordmage powers, which makes taking feats to get Swordmage powers pointless. Is this an error?

As I see it on the CB, all you get out of HotB is skill training and the Swordbond class feature, which I'm interested in for RP/backstory reasons, but if I can only take one or the other, it's really hard to pass up the one that will probably actually have an effect on my character's effectiveness. (I don't see the issue of needing to call the sword to my hand or reform it coming up very often).

Ryujin

Legend
Based on a response I got from customer support a couple of months back, it was right prior to the update. Multiclassing rules specifically state that you can only take multiclass feats for a single class. This does not preclude taking multiple multiclass feats from a single class. Sounds like an issue that should be reported.

*EDIT* Trouble ticket issued.

Last edited:

Remove ads