A Remembrance of Everway: The First WOTC RPG that was too Good to Succeed

pemerton

Legend
This blog - now about 20 years old - does a nice job of putting Everway into its (then) historical context:

During the early 1990s . . . a certain approach to numbers and Fortune became apparent across a number of games: Prince Valiant, Over the Edge (especially in light of Laws' essay), Castle Falkenstein, Everway, Maelstrom/Story Engine, Zero, and The Whispering Vault. Later, similar games include Sorcerer, Orkworld, and The Riddle of Steel. All of these texts demonstrate an internal struggle to articulate means of addressing Premise, littered with trip-ups based on assumptions of GM-power and the utter lack of precedent in explaining the whole idea. . . .​
A . . . structural issue is to decide how much Premise-addressing (story, if you will) has already occurred before in-play decision-making begins. . . . When the Situation is well-established prior to play and essentially independent of the player-characters, then how they encounter it and become enlisted in its hassles is up for grabs, including when they arrive. The protagonists usually play a catalytic role toward everyone and everything else. Playing Everway, The Dying Earth, InSpectres, Orkworld, The Whispering Vault, and Trollbabe is a lot like this. . . .​
[A] Timid Virgin (sic) effect is a full spin toward Force Techniques in isolated spots, which is less schizoid in terms of the reading experience, but perhaps more confusing in the long run. Sorcerer, Everway, Zero, Prince Valiant, and The Whispering Vault all have this bi-polar problem, which I think characterizes many early-to-mid-90s game texts.​

The same author notes "Jonathan Tweet's discussion of resolution presented in Everway", which introduced a handy taxonomy of resolution techniques:

These terms describe the mechanical and social means, among the real people, by which an imaginary action or event is determined to occur.​
  • Drama resolution relies on asserted statements without reference to listed attributes or quantitative elements.
  • Karma resolution relies on referring to listed attributes or quantitative elements without a random element.
  • Fortune resolution relies on utilizing a random device of some kind, usually delimited by quantitative scores of some kind.

I've never played Everway, but based on what I know if it, and also drawing on familiarity with another Tweet game from the same general era, namely, Over the Edge, I would expect actual play to vary quite a bit both from table to table and at a given table, between highly collaborative approaches and a lot of player-driven RPGing, and a lot of GM power and GM decides with the players along for the colourful ride.

Longspeak

Adventurer
Back in the 90s, I wrote for a small local 'zine. Its emphasis was "Horror and Weird." My main thing was reviews, and I reviews a lot of things, some cool, some awful, some lame derivative ripoffs... and then there was Everway.

Having heard there was a "Collectible Card RPG" (it's not and never was, but that's what we heard at the time), and being a well-established MtG hater, I asked our Editor to get me a copy so I could rip WotC to shreds for the sheer gall of trying to force more of their lame dreck down our throats.

In '97, after WotC had dumped Everway like the lame cowards they were, I got to go to my first (and only) Gen Con, as part of Rubicon Games' Everway team. Rubicon didn't last long. WotC had poisoned the well for the game by forcing distributors to take pallets of Everway if they wanted the latest Magic Crack, and then left those distributors hanging when they dropped the game.

But it was too late for me. Everway overcame every single one of my stupid preconceptions, and I'd become an Everway Zealot.

A couple years back when Rich and Jesse were kickstarting an anniversary edition, I went in hard. The books were beautiful, and the work they put into letting the game be itself while still helping to explain it was lovely. Minor tweaks aside, this new version is a lovely, cleaned up presentation which actually fits on my shelf. The cards... okay the base deck is actually just the original decks. IDK if they had hundreds of them laying about, or if they had new ones reprinting, but the base deck is identical to my well-loved and well-used fortune deck from that first review copy I got back then. But the deluxe deck.... it's lovely, but it's also the largest change from the first game... and also the smallest. The new deck is 78 cards instead of 36, bringing a lot more nuance to the tarot-like meanings and utility of the deck.

Of the new edition, I've only one complaint. MAKE THE PDFs SMALLER, GUYS! Even the 'smaller' version of book 1 is 253 MB, and scrolling through is it an exercise in tedium. Terrible for reference during a game. Faster to just use the book... or keep the pretty ones on the shelf and just use my old copies.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
What I heard from a then WOTC distributor was that WOTC offered their distributors better prices on Magic if they ordered this, distributors did the math, ordered copies that they knew would never sell to save more money on Magic than they had to pay for Everway, dumped them quickly for cash flow, undercut all the stores that were trying to sell it for full price, and hurt the market for Everyway. Then, they did it again with Ars Magica....

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
What I heard from a then WOTC distrributor was that WOTC offered their distributors better prices on Magic if they ordered this, distributors did the math, ordered copies that they knew would never sell to save more money on Magic than they had to pay for Everway, dumped them quickly for cash flow, undercut all the stores that were trying to sell it for full price, and hurt the market for Everyway. Then, they did it again with Ars Magica....
That's quite credible given what little I know about business. Were there lots of copies of Everway on the secondary market, though? I only ever saw one, at a convention I think (which I bought)...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I bought the original box and the expansion card packs. I may have a complete set. However, I never got to play it.🤷🏾

I’m also happy to hear about the Silver Edition release. Might have to look into that!

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
What I heard from a then WOTC distrributor was that WOTC offered their distributors better prices on Magic if they ordered this, distributors did the math, ordered copies that they knew would never sell to save more money on Magic than they had to pay for Everway, dumped them quickly for cash flow, undercut all the stores that were trying to sell it for full price, and hurt the market for Everyway. Then, they did it again with Ars Magica....
That matches what Jonathan Tweet himself says in the article linked below. As has been said sadly too believable.

EVERWAY Then and Now

I've both the original and new versions of Everway. I like the art, so I was excited to see that the new edition had an expended Fortune Deck with art in a similar style. I appreciated there was a bit more explanation about how you were supposed to play, role of the deck for randomization and inspiration, &c. I ran a game of Amber prior, which I found exhausting, but strangely I had a better grip on "what I was supposed to do" than with Everway.

I really like the new Fortune deck. I use it regularly with new characters in my game, but especially those coming into the middle of the run or just there for one night (Our Special Guest Star). I have them draw three cards for their background, and one for each special power or magic item they might have. You could do the same with a Tarot deck, obviously, but I have a stronger appreciation for the new symbology and thematic scheme that the Fortune Deck has.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Sort of off topic: I just wanted to say as a fellow Zelazny fan, I salute you. One of the sad rituals I perform when checking out a used bookstore is checking the Zs in the vain hope that I may have missed some almost forgotten short story collection from his writing. There was a small print Amber collection that I did find once, and damn if that wasn't exciting.

So, feel free to discuss the post, or Everway, or, you know ... whatever!
Superb replication of an early '90s attitude! :D

Great post - the only thing I think it's missing is that a bunch of people wouldn't buy Everway because they were mad about MtG. Obviously this is PURELY anecdotal. But it's an attitude I heard both IRL and online, and even from someone who I think was a staff member at the London FLGS, Orc's Nest, who was uh, speaking out against WotC, MtG and Everway. If it wasn't a staff member maybe he shouldn't have been in the little counter-island thing! But that attitude seemed to be this - "MtG was intentionally designed to steal customers/business away from TTRPGs, and Everway was made by the same guys, so people shouldn't buy it!".

In retrospect, it seems like MtG must have made Orc's Nest a ton of money so I'm confused but whatever man.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases