A Review of The New Hunter The Reckoning

The modern World of Darkness is not very concerned with tradition. It blew up much of the setting of Vampire: The Masquerade to redefine it for a modern age. It remixed the Clans to better fit some of these newer ideas, such as the death-obsessed Hecata. It also surprised many fans when it announced that the second game in the reborn setting would be Hunter: The Reckoning. When the original...

1656362806787.png

The modern World of Darkness is not very concerned with tradition. It blew up much of the setting of Vampire: The Masquerade to redefine it for a modern age. It remixed the Clans to better fit some of these newer ideas, such as the death-obsessed Hecata. It also surprised many fans when it announced that the second game in the reborn setting would be Hunter: The Reckoning. When the original was released in 1999, it caused a stir because the game focused on hunters, called the Imbued, who were given powers to fight back against the menagerie of creatures in the classic World of Darkness. This edition, despite the title and the blaze orange color scheme, opts for a more low key approach. Renegade Game Studios sent a copy of the new book for me to review. Does Hunter hit the mark? Let’s play to find out.

Hunter: The Reckoning, from designers Justin Achilli, Daniel Braga, Johnathan Byerly, Edward Austin Hall, Karim Muammar, Mario Ortegón, Pam Punzalan, and Erin Roberts, casts players as normal humans that have seen the truth about the World of Darkness and can’t go back to ignoring that there are monsters out there. Each character chooses a Drive to illustrate why they have taken up the hunt, such as classics like Vengeance or Atonement, or more complex ones like Greed or Envy. Drive factors into the bonus dice system for this game. Hunters can access Desperation dice based on their character choices. These dice come with a risk. They can cause an Overreach which can ratchet up the tension by increasing Danger or they can cause a character to Despair because they feel the cost of being on the hunt. Hunters can’t use Desperation Dice while in Despair. Acting in accordance with their Drive brings the hunter out of this condition.

The Desperation mechanic is an interesting mash up of V5’s Hunger mechanic and the stress dice from ALIEN. It exists as kind of a reflection to the Danger rating, which feels a little like the countdown clocks seen in games like Tales From The Loop or Monster of the Week. While I like the concept of both, they feel a little unfinished. I wanted more guidance on how to use Danger to raise the stakes in a game and when to give the players access to more Desperation. When games have a “doom” mechanic like this, I want there to be specific consequences beyond “the descriptions get spookier”. I wouldn’t mind something like the Doom Pool from Marvel Heroic or the light/dark tokens from Chill where the ST can spend points for a specific thing to happen, leaving the players to sweat out the consequences until the reveal.

Characters also choose one of five Creeds to frame how they hunt, be it the classic run and gun of the Martial Creed to the more Ghostbuster-y scientific capitalism of the Entrepreneurial Creed. Unlike the Clans or other supernatural counterparts, these essential elements aren’t overly tied to specific abilities or in-universe social collectives. There are recommended edges for each, but anyone can take a power and narratively flavor it to their liking. I like the change away from specific splats to something broader but I also see a lot of folks already lamenting the loss of the Imbued storyline.

The focus of this edition is on the cell, which gives the game a similar feeling to the early seasons of the long-lived Supernatural TV show. The crew stumbles onto something weird, figures out what it is, how to kill it, and how to survive till dawn when everyone rides out of town. These hunters aren’t the slick techno killers of the Second Inquisition, nor are they part of the compacts of Hunter: The Vigil. This version of Hunter: The Reckoning really leans into the punk half of the Gothic-Punk setting. It’s you and your cell versus the whole World of Darkness. I think that makes it stand out against other games in this series.

These hunters only have each other and, like their V5 siblings, Touchstones that give them something to protect. Touchstones have a heavier role in this game as their loss can trigger a semi-permanent Despair until the Hunter finds a new person for which to fight. Touchstones are an underserved mechanic in World of Darkness and I hope each new game uses them in an interesting way.

Fans hoping for some clues on how the newest World of Darkness will change the other supernatural creatures won’t find many clues in the monster section. There are broad write ups for creatures that fit the Big Five and they are purposely written without many specifics. There’s also a big section devoted to hunter organizations, including a few returning ones like the Arcanum and Orpheus, Inc. I like that the book doesn't assume the reader already knows this stuff, but I was also hoping for some more straight up weird monsters that didn’t fit anywhere. Until such time as they release a deeper monster book, keeping around Horror Recognition Guide or The Book of Unremitting Horror seems like a good idea to really keep players on their toes.

Hunter: The Reckoning is a solid entry into the monster hunting genre for tables that want that desperate feeling of being alone in the dark.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

Am I the only one that thought the imbued were goofy. “There are creatures with bizarre supernatural powers out there we have been chosen to hunt them… (checks notes) with our own bizarre supernatural powers!” I just always found it to be a weird fit.

It's fascinating seeing the outpouring of suport for them after 20 years. I remember how much they were reviled when the original game came out in 1999.

Wicht

Hero
Of all the OWoD games that I wanted to run the most and didn't get a chance to... Hunter was top of the list. I may have to look into the Renegade version.

Personally, I would have found it more interesting to forge a Hunter game out of the material used in The Second Inquisition. They are a much more intimidating group, akin to a Technocracy antagonist group in effect and the various ‘orgs’ add intrigue in the same manner they may have done if taking a Delta Green or Night’s Black Agents approach.

However, I think Hunter: The Reckoning was a successful computer game brand for White Wolf and the ‘entry level’ simplicity of the premise probably accounts for its relative early release here. The fact that it isn’t actually a ‘5th edition’ and its premise is slightly different to the original, notwithstanding.

I bought the PDF - and it does serve as a useful source of antagonists for Hunters and Vampires, in fact. The mechanics are a decent adaptation of ideas from V5, which were very good in my view, and so I’ve no complaints about that or the presentation really. Nevertheless, it isn’t a 'must buy’ for me and I’m more interested in how they develop Werewolf into a 5th edition to be honest.

I bought the PDF - and it does serve as a useful source of antagonists for Hunters and Vampires, in fact. The mechanics are a decent adaptation of ideas from V5, which were very good in my view, and so I’ve no complaints about that or the presentation really. Nevertheless, it isn’t a 'must buy’ for me and I’m more interested in how they develop Werewolf into a 5th edition to be honest.

During the interviews Justin Achilli did for Hunter, he mentioned that he expects Touchstones, Tenets and Convictions to be in each WoD5 game. He suggested that n some form or another, modified for specific games. For example, one of the Convictions every player might have in Werewolf is defining how they feel about Gaia.

Weiley31

Legend
There are recommended edges for each, but anyone can take a power and narratively flavor it to their liking. I like the change away from specific splats to something broader but I also see a lot of folks already lamenting the loss of the Imbued storyline.

I have to admit to being disappointed. I would have been interested if we were getting an update the The Imbued.

I am not disappointed. I prefer the OWod Hunter to the NWoD Hunter.

I'm wondering how much the decision to ditch the Imbued was because they were too much a part of the endtimes of old World of Darkness, and wouldn't fit into the revised timeline?
I always preferred the Imbued more. But then, I've played all three Hunter: The Reckoning video games so I'm already invested into it that way because of that.

IIRC, on one of the Blog posts by Renegade, they said you can pretty much fluff up the details of the Edges however you want to. So, for my H5 games, all the descriptions are gonna be Imbued Edge style and all the Creeds will be auto-fluffed back to the Imbued creeds.

Of course, since I'm gonna have Slashers existing in the WoD 5th Edition, that also means we can have "regular' H5 Hunter/Cells composed of regular humans separate from the Imbued as well.

Weiley31

Legend
Also: I'm so glad they legit straight up changed the original cover to the current one. Of the 5th Edition WoD games, H5 is probably my second favorite right after V5's cover.

Seriously, the original H5 cover was terrible.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Am I the only one that thought the imbued were goofy. “There are creatures with bizarre supernatural powers out there we have been chosen to hunt them… (checks notes) with our own bizarre supernatural powers!” I just always found it to be a weird fit.
I mean, it’s a world full of opposing supernatural forces. Nothing at all odd about adding to that premise the idea that some force in that mix gives power to otherwise regular people and sends them to gank monsters.

I mean, it’s a world full of opposing supernatural forces. Nothing at all odd about adding to that premise the idea that some force in that mix gives power to otherwise regular people and sends them to gank monsters.
Yeah but in the original book I got the real sense that the Hunters didn't like the other supernaturals because they were supernatural, when they themselves were supernatural. It was just weird. Also the other games have a classic literature archetype they followed, where Hunter was this separate thing that didn't have a good strong "this is basically (insert media X) the game." I dunno, at the time, for me, monster hunters were the crew of light from Dracula, normal people fighting against the things that prey upon humanity in the night. But what I got was basically the Human/Angel; the Asskickening. It was just a weird fit that I never got. And on top of that the back story from them was also just plan strange. The Imbued were given powers by some sympathetic angels that felt bad for humanity after god abandoned creation. I dunno, it just never worked for me. nWod Hunter was one of the few games in that line that was straight superior for me than the original incarnation.

Remove ads

Remove ads