• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A simple houserule for martial/caster balance.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Existence of magic items is generally a reasonable assumption for most games. That the martial will have the correct type of item to fit their build or shore up their weaknesses isn't. In the last game I played, at level 12 my Paladin was still using a +1 mace to fight demons and devils, and had no items improving her mobility or ranged capabilities for example.
Were your mobility and ranged capabilities notably suffering, in your view? Are you able to work toward fixing any of these issues in the game that you're in? Questing for items you want, having them made, or simply asking thd DM if anything can be done?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
My design parameter is for an 80's action hero esque fighter and a spy/criminal rogue. I want those visions balanced alongside wizards and druids. GO!
If someone can figure out this without a lot of hand waving and ad hoc circumstances, they have a great career in writing for the Justice League and the Avengers.

How many plotlines have to bend around the fact that Superman exists? Or Thor? I love Batman and Captain America, but they are either peak human or just beyond it, and yet we have to accept them trading blows with Darkseid or Thanos, veritable Gods or realize they are completely out of their (Justice) league.

You may prefer the fiction of a regular man dealing with irregular situations, but all that gets thrown out the window when a Fighter survives a crit from a Giant's weapon and survives. Sure, I know hit points aren't meat, but all that luck has to come from somewhere.

You can cite people surviving mile high falls, but that's a once in a lifetime occurrence. The Fighter can do this on a daily basis by the rules. Second Wind is basically regeneration. The Fighter is already supernatural in several regards- the rules just need to finish catching up to him.

Undrave

Legend
Yeah because there's no middle ground between complete scientific understanding and anything goes because fantasy.
What I mean is that we shouldn't be relying on the so-called 'common sense' of random DMs for what is possible or not for non-magical characters.

Like that time on the old 4e DnD forum where a guy said it wasn't realistic that you could do archery on horseback... the guy was properly roasted for that one.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What I mean is that we shouldn't be relying on the so-called 'common sense' of random DMs for what is possible or not for non-magical characters.

Like that time on the old 4e DnD forum where a guy said it wasn't realistic that you could do archery on horseback... the guy was properly roasted for that one.
...ok, this is one for the ages. Right up with that woman who claims Ancient Rome never existed.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Indeed it does! But if we need an explanation for this, in universe, what is it? Divine providence?
Well, in DC last I checked, superheroes are the multiverse's antibodies against the Darkness' invasion, and Batman & Superman specifically have some cosmic significance, or something like that. It's meta as hell.

Maybe Fighter can be amped by being in the original quartet.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
In the game Pillars of Eternity, martial classes are dipping in a the power of their Soul, like any other class, they just awaken it differently than overt spellcasting. They gain inhuman resilience or accuracy by the same source of power that allows a Wizard to rain fire upon their enemy or a Cypher to re-awakens the memories of a wound on a target.

Remove ads