A sleep spell for allies

ccs

41st lv DM
"You make a calming gesture, and up to three willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range"

...er… you can use it on your self and you get two spell slots starting at level 2 but this is a 3rd level spell so even if warlocks could get it they would already have 2 slots. Since warlocks reset spell slots on a short rest you would use your second slot to get both back... the only lose their is a limit of spells known. BECAUSE you only have 2 slots until level 11 getting that other slot back before a fight is more important not less. because it means your trading 1 known spell for the chance to recover your second spell slot when you might not have time to rest other wise.

Also, better for the same reason:

- Magic initiate (warlock) - first level spell hex - hex counts as a warlock known spell can be case again with pact slots per sage advice.
- Pearl of power , Ring of Spell Storing* , and Rod of the pact keeper

So imagine a ring of spell storing + catnap prior to a fight. You have 20 mins, you cast a spell into your ring, you cast catnap and restore your spell slots and start the battle with 3 spells instead of 2. Or you fill the ring the nigh before, have a fight and use all 3 slots, take an hour and recharge 2 cast one in the ring then catnap to get back to 3 so you can have 3 spells for 2 fights that are close... still niche because if you can get 2 hours the usefulness of catnap drops to almost nothing... but then what does any other class use if for? It's still a "we have 20 mins gather your strength and take some hit dice because they are not far behind!"

Edit: It does get better at level 11 and again at level 17 but again the problem here is that the only class that any of this matters for is a class that doesn't get the spell... so short a 5 level multi-class dip your not getting it, which then means no 17 levels of warlock.

I think you missed Blue's point that it can only work on any given character once per long rest.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
"You make a calming gesture, and up to three willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range"

...er… you can use it on your self and you get two spell slots starting at level 2 but this is a 3rd level spell so even if warlocks could get it they would already have 2 slots.

I'm going to chop you off here, since I don't think you got what I posted. I never said it wouldn't work on the Warlock, as a matter of fact I explicitly said it would work on the warlock - but only once per day.

Here's what I wrote:
Catnap can only work on a particular character once per long rest, so it's not like the warlock can do it on themself to regain slots more than once per day.

This is supported by the part of the Catnap spell you aren't quoting:

If a target remains unconscious for the full duration, that target gains the benefit of a short rest, and it can't be affected by this spell again until it finishes a long rest.

I'm not saying it's not situational useful - there are times a 10 minute short rest is useful. I said it's only useful for the warlock to regain slots once per day and I'd wait until higher levels when you have more spells known.

You may want to make sure you understand what someone wrote before you say they are incorrect.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I think you missed Blue's point that it can only work on any given character once per long rest.

No I didn't miss that how often are you only going to have 10 mins instead of an hour to rest? His point is that it is niche in that respect because you can't just use it all the time so its limited use and better when you have more spell slots later. My point is that in its niche of "we are in a bad spot and have little time" their are not many rally spells an your usually left only hiding or running but more important because your spell slots are so limited. So I think its worth it because its a spell you can use when the chips are down, sure your going to get more mileage out of other spells but it may often be that its not critical for survival at those times so in a way those can be more a waste... not for sure of course, its going to be campaign dependent and situational. But like I said in several posts already it is niche and it is not a warlock spell so I understand if people steer away from niche spells and it doesn't matter because its not a warlock spell anyway I can't even take it.

More my other point is that the class that has the potential to get the best use out of it can't cast it.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I'm going to chop you off here, since I don't think you got what I posted. I never said it wouldn't work on the Warlock, as a matter of fact I explicitly said it would work on the warlock - but only once per day.

Here's what I wrote:

This is supported by the part of the Catnap spell you aren't quoting:

I'm not saying it's not situational useful - there are times a 10 minute short rest is useful. I said it's only useful for the warlock to regain slots once per day and I'd wait until higher levels when you have more spells known.

You may want to make sure you understand what someone wrote before you say they are incorrect.

Wow, you went of striate to condescending and irate for no reason. I know that its once a day because it says so explicitly and your not denying it nor am I. You are guilty of what you accusing me of. My point was that only having 2 spell slots makes being able to restore them more important in early game not less. Which is why I went into explaining all the other ways to get more spell slots early and the interaction with the ring of spell storing.

I fully except that my writing is not supper clear (I am not great writer and never claimed to be) and looking over it I see how you focused on the wrong part but if you a done as you suggesting condescending to me you would have noted I did in fact argue your stated point as I highlighted above. You basically, read my first statement and ignored the entirety of the rest of the post so that you could say I didn't read your post. If you read the rest you will see that the first sentence it an outlier and the rest is on your point as you stated. Again... I am partially to blame because that first sentence does make it appear I didn't read or understand your statement however if you or ccs had read the full post you would see I did address your point.

Last edited:

Remove ads