A supposedly great thing that I'll never watch again- Great media that left you cold

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I just hate harry potter for a mix of reasons one very stupid but the rest is are I just do not get the setting or the characters.

will agree with the bbt bashing.

not seen half the things mentioned as they are older than I am, and by that I mean my father has fond memories of baby me bouncing along to the buffy theme song.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
From a fiction perspective, Narnia and Dragonriders of Pern - both classic series of their day (and I was in that day), but never grabbed me.

Good Good let the hate flow through you

I would say based on this thread theres a lot of hate for popular culture and a lot of you have barely watched BBT

the writers of this show are not the bullies you grew up with in fact they appear to be just the opposite

Other than the absurdity of the hot neighbor falling for the low income scientist it hits the mark pretty closely (ive been doing this for 45+ years)

rpg players
-we don't usually flaunt it. Its never water cooler talk, most don't wear D&D shirts out like those who wear say a Yankees hat
-good chunk of us (not all) have a partner who has no interest in this or understands it
-your parents etc didn't play it (a majority)
-your coworkers have no idea

the characters on BBT are funny and they do things that I know I might do if I was in there situation

-1 episode where they try to sneak into a D&D celebrity game. I know I would love to sit down with William Shatner and play d&D
-1 episode they go the George Lucas filming estate-yeah sorry but that's a cool scenario
- star trek new generation cast members show up due to relationship with Wil Wheaton
-episodes where they play their own version of D&D. we each have our own house rules

where are you people in this crazy world where you don't fit the stereotype. every youtube station, every game store every comic book store (im sorry but the guy in the simpsons who runs the comic store is somewhat accurate)

for those of you who hate critical role (not sure why hate but I could see the I dont have time argument). Matt Mercer is probably one of the greatest GM's/DM's on the planet. People are afraid that he has put pressure on them to live up to what he does as a dm (the Mercer effect). I would argue hes a better DM than the creators of D&D and any other famous DM out there (go back and look at a good chunk of the classic modules-they are a mess and many have things that make no sense). He's a once in a lifetime

what this thread should do is for those who hate something give us an example or things you like instead and that you think deserve awards for excellence in movies etc

Ace

Adventurer
While I never got that vibe, a friend of mine hates Big Bang Theory with a passion for exactly that reason, to the point where he calls it a "nerd minstrel show."

Minstrel Show. Ouch.

I can't bring myself to hate any media. That would require me to be involved with it. I am therefore indifferent to media I don't like. I guess that qualifies as cold.

Harry Potter is a good example, saw the first movie and was just "eh." after that. I can't blame other people for enjoying it though. Its good just not for me. I actually liked Twilight more but that's not a high bar.

Same with most of the teen dystopia other than Maze Runner which was decent.

I will say though BBT . Well I do get while some normies like it. For some I've seen its helps them understand super smart people on some safe level.

I'm not a fan. From my few viewings is filled with fairly offensive nerd stereotypes and it feels like that is the last group its OK to treat like that on TV . And yes there are people that do act like that . So what? There are people who act like other unpleasant stereotypes as well.

Its ugly and in a way since most of the characters are far from neurotypical , it feels like disability bashing as well. Just because they are smart and its funny is not OK.

Mayim Bialik get a pass, she's the least nerdy anyway and actually that smart. Is it acting? No one knows ;)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Good Good let the hate flow through you
what this thread should do is for those who hate something give us an example or things you like instead and that you think deserve awards for excellence in movies etc

So, if you read the OP (which I wrote about four months ago), you would see this:

"And I was thinking about the subject- what is some great media (TV, movies, music if that's your bag) that you finally broke down and consumed because "everyone says it's the best thing ever" and you were just like, "Eh. That's it?" ...

This is more like, "Eh, Firefly is just not all that." And, by the way, what brought this up is a recently made the acquaintance of another serious nerd who just, you know, didn't like Star Wars. ...

Just off the top of my head. Anyway- what media was highly recommended to you that you just couldn't get into?"

The point of this is (was?) not to just hate on things. But for people to explain why certain things just didn't work for them; whether it's nerd confessions (my friend who doesn't like any of the Star Wars, or that I don't like the Harry Potter movies ... or books) or general befuddlement at pop culture acceptance.

Trust me on this- I'm pretty sure that neither Chuck Lorre (creator of BBT, net worth of $600 million+) nor Matt Mercer needs you to defend them. :)

Ryujin

Legend

So, if you read the OP (which I wrote about four months ago), you would see this:

"And I was thinking about the subject- what is some great media (TV, movies, music if that's your bag) that you finally broke down and consumed because "everyone says it's the best thing ever" and you were just like, "Eh. That's it?" ...

This is more like, "Eh, Firefly is just not all that." And, by the way, what brought this up is a recently made the acquaintance of another serious nerd who just, you know, didn't like Star Wars. ...

Just off the top of my head. Anyway- what media was highly recommended to you that you just couldn't get into?"

The point of this is (was?) not to just hate on things. But for people to explain why certain things just didn't work for them; whether it's nerd confessions (my friend who doesn't like any of the Star Wars, or that I don't like the Harry Potter movies ... or books) or general befuddlement at pop culture acceptance.

Trust me on this- I'm pretty sure that neither Chuck Lorre (creator of BBT, net worth of $600 million+) nor Matt Mercer needs you to defend them. :)
I think that I worked out that something around the cost of 9 minutes of one episode, of BBT, would have paid for the entire last season of the web series "JourneyQuest."

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Owlboy. Award-winning indie platformer, and I ragequit halfway through the mandatory tutorial. I have noticed a definite trend in a lot of gaming and young adult literature, in which "whimsical" as a tag or in a synopsis is practically synonymous with "CW: child abuse" except you're supposed to think it's funny, and quite frankly I wish all those authors and designers who can't tell the difference would die screaming.

Also noped out of Harry Potter halfway through the fifth movie, same reason. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, at least, is actually marketed as horror, so I couldn't complain when I couldn't finish the first season.

True- it seemed a lot of posts were more hate than left cold. I just tried to point out these bbt characters are closer to reality than they want to admit

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
True- it seemed a lot of posts were more hate than left cold. I just tried to point out these bbt characters are closer to reality than they want to admit

I think that there are numerous reasons why BBT doesn't work for various people. I mean, it certainly doesn't for me! But I have trouble watching any three-camera, laugh-track sitcom.

That said, one person's immersion is another person's inability to suspend disbelief. The very things that you might like about the show (for example, the references to aspects of nerd culture that you otherwise wouldn't get in a primetime sitcom) might be exactly inline with the things other people dislike about it (that it traffics in that culture, yet gets details wrong or makes fun of aspects of the characters).

It would be like someone in the 90s saying, "How can you not like Friends? That's totally how the post-college, 20-something, restless life was like!" And someone else replying, "Really? People were able to afford massive apartments in Manhattan like that? Tell me more!"

What works for some people (and at some times) doesn't work for other people at other times.

I think that there are numerous reasons why BBT doesn't work for various people. I mean, it certainly doesn't for me! But I have trouble watching any three-camera, laugh-track sitcom.

That said, one person's immersion is another person's inability to suspend disbelief. The very things that you might like about the show (for example, the references to aspects of nerd culture that you otherwise wouldn't get in a primetime sitcom) might be exactly inline with the things other people dislike about it (that it traffics in that culture, yet gets details wrong or makes fun of aspects of the characters).

It would be like someone in the 90s saying, "How can you not like Friends? That's totally how the post-college, 20-something, restless life was like!" And someone else replying, "Really? People were able to afford massive apartments in Manhattan like that? Tell me more!"

What works for some people (and at some times) doesn't work for other people at other times.
Somewhat true obviously on Manhattan although I thought they lived outside of that but I think for gamers it’s something more. It’s prevalent on this site that there’s a huge dislike for a lot of popular culture especially successful ones(there’s a loud critical voice for all things got tv and lotr movies) etc

Remove ads