D&D 5E A sword sage

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm going to be starting playing in a 5e campaign starting at level 5 soon. I've come up upon a concept - a "sword sage", an old wandering scholar who has studied the way of the blade.

(Some of you may note, and I wouldn't argue with them, that a kensei monk would be perfect for this concept, and I would not disagree. However, I played a monk in the last game, so I decided not to repeat that. )

So I made him a fighter, psi knight to be exact. He's going to be the party tank, so I'm going with a dex build (a "hulking" sage doesn't fit my mental image), with a fast slim blade (ah la jian, so an "alt rapier") and a "shield" which is a heavy iron pipe (similar to the japanese kiseru).

All the "psi powers" are reflavored as "ancient mystical techniques". Things like "Twin River strike!" or "Cloud conceals the cunning cobra!" can "explain" his powered psi-strikes. Others (like the protective field acting at a distance) are "inner strenght" powers, where with a wave of his hand the sage causes a cloud of dust that partially fouls the blow of a foe upon an ally.

I think there is potential humor in some of the limitations of the powers - like he can "boost up" an ally to throw them up on a wall... but then has to ask them to lower a rope - he can't jump that high, he's old!

For the sage specialty, I will take alchemist. To give this more "substance", and because the party is a bit low on support, I'm going to take the Chef feat to boost my con and heal the party a bit - but instead of treats and meals, it's going to be tonics and ointments (and gain the alchemical tool proficiency).

Those are my ideas so far, but I'm sure you have some too!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
One of the things I'm pondering is if I should take a +1 armor or +1 sword (we can start with a few magical items). Since I'm going to be the party tank, the +1 armor seems like the right choice, especially since I can take a "common" magical sword (like the moon-touched blade). But +1 to hit and damage is nice too...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd go with the armor. You'll be in light armor, I'm guessing?

How do you feel about multiclassing? Swashbuckler rogue would be killer, as would Inquisitive, with each promoting different aspects of the concept.

What fighting style are you thinking? Dueling is obvious, as is Defensive, but the one that gives a superiority die and a manuever could be really fun.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'd go with the armor. You'll be in light armor, I'm guessing?

How do you feel about multiclassing? Swashbuckler rogue would be killer, as would Inquisitive, with each promoting different aspects of the concept.

What fighting style are you thinking? Dueling is obvious, as is Defensive, but the one that gives a superiority die and a manuever could be really fun.
Light armor yes. This will not be the party scout, but he'll be reasonably stealthy due to high dex.

Multiclassing? Ooof. At level 6 I get another feat (ritual magic? uh? uh?), level 7 I get more psi powers, level 8 I get a feat.... I don't know man. There is a lot of good in sticking with fighter for a while.

I was going to go dueling, but I hadn't considered that last one... it's tempting, but I think Dueling is better. The psi dice will have to do.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Light armor yes. This will not be the party scout, but he'll be reasonably stealthy due to high dex.

Multiclassing? Ooof. At level 6 I get another feat (ritual magic? uh? uh?), level 7 I get more psi powers, level 8 I get a feat.... I don't know man. There is a lot of good in sticking with fighter for a while.

I was going to go dueling, but I hadn't considered that last one... it's tempting, but I think Dueling is better. The psi dice will have to do.
For sure, yeah. That all makes sense.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You know, now that I look at the inquisitive, that is pretty interesting indeed. But have you looked at the mastermind? Master of tactics really fits, and master of intrigue... well you know what they say about old age and treachery...

Have you read the flavor of the actual swordsage class from 3.5? Not that it matters but you could get some inspiration there.

I've toyed with the idea of going battlesmith3/psiknight17 just to dump Str and go completely Int for all weapon attacks. I ran Hexblade3/Echoknight with full Cha focus and it was pretty cool.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Fighter has some definite potency boosts even at level 5

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases