A Tale of Two Persons, Parts 1 and 2 / Ah, it's a wizard's life!

William Ronald

Explorer
Serpenteye wrote:

Most fantasy worlds are really quite unpleasant places compared to most parts of Earth.

I agree, at least as far as the industrialized nations are concerned. We have luxuries that the ancients could not imagine, such as the internet and EN World. Communication satellites.

I do not envy the people of the Middle Ages in general. (Okay, there are a few people I would love to have a dinner chat with, but in our time.)

Anabstercorian

First Post
The thing about stories starring oneself in a fictional light is that they are inherently extremely self indulgent.

However, they're often a stitch to read, and rather enjoyable. So go wild! Yes, it's goofy, but I'd love to hear of the wild adventures you'd have. Naturally, however, you'd have to post them all here so we could mercilessly criticize your rate of advancement, the realism of your combat, how true you are to the DnD spirit... ;)

This is... errr... weird.. :D

Not my kind of writing sadly! Original but not appealing to me. I'll attempt another installming with interest so we'll see!

Good to see you on the boards Terry!

JohnBrown

First Post
Edena,

Your stories were very interesting. Good job! While no literary great myself, I never have a problem critiquing the works of others. :) :)

The first story seemed like you wanted it to be a ‘fish out of water’ story, but you as the ‘fish’ could have as easily been a 1st level commoner, and thus not a ‘fish’ at all. Your second story read better because the otherwise extremely confident and capable knight was unable to function in his new environment. In the first story, your ‘fish’ was unable to function as well but only due to physical limitations, not because the environment was new. You communicated your theme well enough, but the Story would have read better if you had made yourself extremely confident and capable in the real world, and then thrown for a loop in the new environment.

Your third story was good as well, but stories involving extremely powerful characters tend to bore me a tad. A less powerful Edena that used Edena’s Halloween Special (great spell by the way) and luckily managed defeat the brigands in an interesting way, would have been more amusing to me than All-Powerful Edena simply choosing to use the Halloween Special to amuse himself. I found myself saying “…. brigands that can cast Hellball? Those are some brigands!“ That’s just me though. Weak Edena facing five brigands is more engaging to me than Powerful Edena facing fifty. Also, I am not sure that this story was the right vehicle for your theme (actually it seemed like there were a couple of themes jumbled in there, but the main one seemed to be about Edena re-evaluating what was important in his life). Perhaps, a story where he was close to achieving something that was ‘professionally’ dear to him, but choosing to go on the date instead… Just a thought.

I hope this doesn’t come across as harsh, because I did really enjoy your work.

Looking forward to reading more,

John

A very fun read, Edena, interesting and unique-I'd expect nothing less from you :) Anyways, I think I need to give it another look over before I comment, but I thought the first story was pretty much true, going from real world to DnD mechanics-if you decide to continue it let's just hope RL Edena doesn't get mixed up with those clerics of loviatar in your world ;)

Remove ads