D&D General A Taxonomy of D&D and other FRPG Settings

Mercurius

Legend
I find taxonomies to be somewhat interesting and useful for understanding a given subject, with the caveat—and ongoing reminder—that all taxonomies are abstractions (ala the famous Korzybski phrase, “the map is not the territory”) and often make categorical choices that don't always work. Meaning, there are always gray areas.

Ongoing discussions about D&D settings, new and old, have inspired me to think about how different worlds can be categorized. In particular, the discussion about Dragonlance, and whether it is closer to kitchen-sink settings like Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms, or if it has more in common with themed settings like Dark Sun, which is what I am suggesting.

Anyhow, what follows is one way (and not the only way) to categorize D&D settings. I’ve mostly included D&D worlds published by TSR or WotC, but have also included a few third parties, and a couple non-D&D worlds. If you have a sense of deja vu while reading this, it may be because I (think I) wrote something similar here some years ago, but am not certain.

Category A - Kitchen-sink Settings:
These thematically-broad settings are designed for a wide range of play experiences. There is an “anything goes” feel, even if they vary by tone and flavor. They generally include a number of Earth analogues, although are not necessarily bound to them. They are also based upon the D&D rules-as-written, with only small—if any—variations. The underlying idea is that if you want to play D&D as it is described in the rules, with as many options as possible, these settings are for you. A further commonality is that they all generally arose out of a specific edition of the game, what could be called their “root edition,” even if they were updated in later editions. To some extend you could say that they were designed as showcases for default game as it was when they were published (which sometimes led to awkward adaptions in later editions, e.g. the infamous Spellplague of the Forgotten Realms).

Examples (with root edition): Greyhawk (OD&D), Forgotten Realms (1E-2E), Mystara (BECMI), Golarion (Pathfinder), Exandria (5E/Critical Role), Kingdoms of Kalamar (OGL), Midgard (OGL).

Category B - Thematic Settings (Style/flavor-focused):
These settings are more narrowly focused around specific themes and styles. They vary in terms of geographical and thematic feel, but the underlying commonality is that the theme or style is front and center, and they generally don't make an attempt to be all-inclusive of every game element. Imagine, for instance, the difference between a full-color painting (kitchen-sink) and a sepia-toned one (thematic); both could depict the same breadth of landscape, but the latter emphasizes a particular mood or flavor, even at the expense of including "all colors." Unlike the next category, the focus is on theme or style, with rules differences being secondary.

Examples: Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Eberron, Ravenloft, Scarred Lands, most Magic: the Gathering worlds.

Category C - Thematic Settings (Rules-focused): While these settings are somewhat similar to the previous category, there are some notable differences. These settings are focused on different and specific elements of the D&D game ruleset itself, and often on variations, options, or sub-systems from the core rules. Meaning, while both groups are theme-focused and and may have elements of both stylistic and mechanical variance from the default game, it is a matter of whether or not the theme is focused on stylistic and flavor elements (B) or rules and game elements (C). Meaning, a category B world might start with the What If scenario of, "imagine a post-apocalyptic world without water," while category C might start with, "imagine a world built around psionics and alternate approaches to magic use."

Examples (with thematic focus): Planescape (the Planes), Spelljammer (spelljammers and the crystal spheres), Birthright (kingdom-building), Ghostwalk (ghost PCs), Council of Wyrms (dragon PCs).

Category D - Boutique Settings: These are what I would call “art settings” or “world-first” settings, meaning, they were created as imaginary worlds first and foremost, and only secondarily as RPG or novel settings, which may simply have been utilized as the chosen way to express and share the author's creation (and thus, you will note, none of my few examples are actually D&D worlds). The underlying reason behind their creation may vary widely, but they all share this underlying world-building first factor. Meaning, the primary “game” of the designer was the building of the world itself, which may or may not have continued for years. Another important element is that these settings tend to veer towards sole authorship; others may have fleshed out certain elements, but the world itself is the creation of a single author. Of course settings in different categories might share this, but the shared quality tends to be greater. Note: This category doesn't really apply to published D&D worlds, but it may apply to homebrew settings, as some folks (like myself) enjoy world-building for its own sake, so I thought it was important to include.

Examples (with author): Middle-earth (JRR Tolkien), Talislanta (Stephen Michael Sechi), Tekumel (MAR Barker), the Hyborian Age (RE Howard).

Further Thoughts

As with most taxonomies, there is an artificiality that makes some settings debatable, or at least borderline. A good example is Eberron, which is strongly thematic in terms of steampunk, but also somewhat “kitchen-sinky.” But I categorized it in the second group because its focus is on the thematic style, and the Earth analogues are generally more distant than the worlds in group A. For instance, Sarlona has strong elements of East Asian-style Communism, but it is divergent enough not to be as straightforward as, say, Mulhorand-Egypt.

A few settings that I didn’t categorize are Jakandor, Nentir Vale, and Blackmoor. The first because I don’t know enough about it to decide whether it belongs in B or C, and the latter two because they are partial-settings that are presumably part of a larger world, which I would assume is category A, but wasn’t described enough to safely categorize. The Wilderlands of High Fantasy is sort of in a middle-ground: it is a much larger region, but am not sure if it belongs in A or B.

In some cases, a setting may inhabit a different category depending upon vantage point. For instance, Earthdawn could be either B (Barsaive only) and/or A (the wider world), although if I had to pick just one category I’d go with B, for reasons similar to Earthdawn.

Finally, among some of the classic non-D&D worlds, I’d include Glorantha and Harn in category A, and Earthdawn, Warhammer, and Shadow World in B. I am least certain about Glorantha and Warhammer, both of which are close to the line between A and B. Glorantha follows Earth analogues and is kitchen-sinky enough that I think it probably best belongs in A. Warhammer is also tricky as it is basically dark fantasy Europe, but its thematic elements are central enough that I think it slips over into B. Harn is pretty much a very realistic fantasy-version of the Medieval world and I think safely belongs in A. Shadow World, or Kulthea, is strongly themed around certain ideas, and a good example of a large setting that still fits B over A.

Voadam

Legend
Kalamar was originally a 2e setting and technically never OGL, it was a direct official 3e D&D license so a 2nd party publisher.

By your definition of kitchen sink I would definitely have put Eberron there, it was explicitly designed to have a place for everything that is mechanically D&D. It does have a strong pulp post WWI theme so which group it fits in more is definitely debatable.

I would also generally put in Dragonlance, it started as a standard normal option D&D with rare clerics but the default party for the adventures had one from the beginning. It got more exclusive later with Dragonlance Adventures messing with clerics and magic users and had a strong romantic heroism theme (as well as to actually use dragons in every adventure), but it felt in line with core D&D options when it came out.

Jakandor is strong themes, distinct culture clashes, a big magocracy with a neutral animated dead work force versus a barbarian warrior society mix of vikings, Celts, and American Indians with totem magic all in a backdrop of unexplored magical dungeons after a magical apocalypse.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Too late in evening to really respond appropriately. But I like this exercise; not sure if I agree with your taxonomy 100%. I'll try to come back tomorrow.

Coroc

Hero
Kalamar was originally a 2e setting and technically never OGL, it was a direct official 3e D&D license so a 2nd party publisher.

By your definition of kitchen sink I would definitely have put Eberron there, it was explicitly designed to have a place for everything that is mechanically D&D. It does have a strong pulp post WWI theme so which group it fits in more is definitely debatable.

I would also generally put in Dragonlance, it started as a standard normal option D&D with rare clerics but the default party for the adventures had one from the beginning. It got more exclusive later with Dragonlance Adventures messing with clerics and magic users and had a strong romantic heroism theme (as well as to actually use dragons in every adventure), but it felt in line with core D&D options when it came out.

Jakandor is strong themes, distinct culture clashes, a big magocracy with a neutral animated dead work force versus a barbarian warrior society mix of vikings, Celts, and American Indians with totem magic all in a backdrop of unexplored magical dungeons after a magical apocalypse.

Yea you could see Eberron as THE kitchen sink setting, but that tittle still goes to the realms, because Eberron has everything but as it says on the label "with a twist" and that makes it a themed setting.

With Ravenloft, Eberron, Darksun and Krynn being thematic settings I totally agree, but all of these have (had) special rules and not few of them, so they also (but not exclusively) would fall under category 3 imho. But I do get what OP meant, and overall it is a good taxonomy still

Mercurius

Legend
Would a setting like Ptolus fall under the rules-focused thematic setting?

Hmm...I'd say category B, based upon what I know of it. Its theme focus, as far as understand it, is more setting-oriented--urban adventure--and less about specific rules. I suppose it could be a hybrid of A and B, because it is essentially a kitchen-sink city.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Is this taxonomy just focusing on a set of rules of the game:

A: Defaults
B: Gameplay rules
C: DM rulings and additional game modules
D: Character creation rules

If so, wouldn't there be another category based on enemy design (resulting in many low magic worlds and Earthlike worlds via subtraction or No European settings or Horror games via addition)?

Warren Ellis

Explorer
Hmm...I'd say category B, based upon what I know of it. Its theme focus, as far as understand it, is more setting-oriented--urban adventure--and less about specific rules. I suppose it could be a hybrid of A and B, because it is essentially a kitchen-sink city.
Well I remember hearing it's like a setting designed to show off every little gameplay assumption about 3e or 3.5e as in "you can buy magic" and all that, for example.

Like it provides in-setting explanations for why all these little gameplay assumptions are there.

atanakar

Hero
Examples (with root edition): Greyhawk (OD&D), Forgotten Realms (1E-2E), Mystara (BECMI), Golarion (Pathfinder), Exandria (5E/Critical Role), Kingdoms of Kalamar (OGL), Midgard (OGL).

While it is true that a Greyhawk supplement was published for OD&D it contains no details of the world except two short mentions. It was mostly new spells and additional rules. Greyhawk became a proper published setting (with map and details) only during the early days of AD&D 1e.

Blackmoor was also an OD&D supplement (lacking setting information).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases