• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Thought Exercise... Making a One-Shot/"Pickup" RPG

Bold or Stupid

First Post
For freeform one shots I use a system I call Joel's Wotsits. Resolution is roll 1 dice get high (player chooses the dice and I apply a judgement on whats high enough), characte creation is simple.

Choose concept and appearance

Pick one thing your good at.

Pick one thing your bad at.

Check with the GM so he can stop broken characters (Good at one liners, bad at dying, for example.)

It works for me.

clearstream

(He, Him)
And a few not so indie RPGs. Like Paranoia.

There are a bunch out there. But I like the idea of considering, basically, what makes a game a pickup system, and what makes a regular system. I thought it was an interesting question, last night.

A pick-up system has to be fun as a one-off, which generally means that the rules are shaped to specifically capture a distinctive fluff. Dogs in the Vineyard, Paranoia, etc. A single session should be able to touch all the key bases.

The core rule should be distinctive, more than anything else, and ideally something new for players. For example, the Dogs in the Vineyard core rule is abominable: it only works because it is distinctive.

It can offer freedoms too. The game can implode in ways not desirable for session-spanning campaigns. It doesn't really matter in Paranoia if everyone gets all their clones terminated in session 1. It wouldn't matter if players are hugely powerful, vastly wealthy, or distressingly impoverished. The limited span makes stuff that will be problematical work okay, including blowing up the Universe.

-vk

I'd want a game that can be used with easily available tools. Probably something using 3d6 or dice pools similar to Shadowrun (4.0).

Okay, this is a simple system - I wonder if it's already too complex?

Maybe 3 attributes with a few linked skills:

Body - [Weapon]Training, Dodge, Endurance, Athletics, Stealth
Mind - [Vehicle] Pilot, Knowledge [Topic], Medicine, Use Computer, Use [School/Origin] Magic, Perception, Survival, Willpower
Social - Bluff, Conviction, Diplomacy, Intimidation, Streetwise
Skills with [] in their name indicate their might be several subgroups. These subgroups can be determined by the DM.
Weapons might have subgroups like "Pistols, Edged Weapons", Spell like "Conjuration, Divination" or "Arcane, Divine" and so on.

Also, characters have 1 point of starting karma.

Character Creation
Characters have 10 ability points they can spread among those 3, with a value between 1 to 5.
A character also gets 20 skill ranks he can spread among skills, with a minimum of 3 points spend on every group, and a maximum skill rank of 5.

A character may learn one spell for each rank in Use Magic.
A character with at least two ranks in a [WEAPON] Training skill should also have an appropriate weapon for it.
Additional equipment can be determined based on player requires and gamemasters (GM) decision, favoring characters with a high Social attribute for better or more equipment.

Checks
[sblock]
All checks are 3d6 + attribute + skill ranks against a minimum value. A typical starting DC is 11 (moderate difficulty for the uninitiated). For modifiers, apply the highest penalty that you think applies and add half the number (not value) of applicable modifiers (rounded down) to the DC. So, if a character has a -2 penalty from being injured last turn, a -4 penalty from being blind and a -2 penalty from shooting at long range, he has a total modifier of -5 (-4 from blind, -1 from 3 total modifiers applying).
A result 5 points or more above the DC is considered an extraordinary result.
[/sblock]

Challenges
[sblock]
Challenges exist in various forms, generally they require a mixture of roleplaying and skill checks as they fit the scene.

You can set up a challenge by determining allowed skills that might apply to the challenge, and specific actions taken by the players that would help to resolve the challenge even without requiring any rolls.
The DCs for such skill checks should start between 10 (easy), 15 (moderate) and 20 (difficult), possibly increased for more experienced characters. Harder DCs are better suited for characters with at least some training in the respective skills.

Then, determine a success and a failure threshold (these can be different numbers).
Each successful check adds +1d6 to the challenges success value. Each failed check adds +1d6 to the challenges failure value. Extraordinary successes grant +2d6 to the success value.
If the success threshold is reached, the challenge is successful. If the failure threshold is reached, the challenge failed. You can use the difference between success and failure value as a guideline to determine how the challenge succeeded or failed and if any complications arised.

Generally, a failed challenge should not end the game, it should add additional complications - like an additional combat encounter or another challenge that requires resolution to progress.

Ensure that every player character can be involved in the challenge. Remember that not everything requires an actual skill check - using the right spell, saying the right words, solving a riddle, all that can help to resolve a challenge.

To make a challenge more interesting, consider special effects depending on challenges.

[/sblock]

Combat
[sblock]
At the start of combat, each character rolls a Perception Check. Determine the highest result for each group of characters (typically player characters or villains). That group starts combat. On a groups turn, each group can act in any sequence they like, if in doubt, clock-wise around the gaming table or alphabetical order.

During combat on his action, a character can walk 5 squares or his Athletics skill (whichever is higher), or run twice this value. Walking causes no penalties or modifiers, running means -5 to all attacks and +2 to all defenses.
The character can take multiple actions during his turn.
Normally, you roll 3d6 for your skills. In combat, these 3d6 are called your action dice, and if you want to make more than one action each round, you have to spend your action dice among most things you want to make, even if they don't actually require a check. So, if a character chooses to open a door and fire his pistol, he has to spend 1 die for opening the door and can make an attack using 2d6.
Not all actions require devoting dice. Speaking doesn't require any dice, unless the speech requires a skill check.

A character can also choose to act defensively - devoting any number of his action dice to defense. Roll these dice at the end of his action. The result are additional dodge points he can spend to improve his dodge or willpower value against individual attacks.

Attacks
Attackers roll their relevant attack skill against a DC determined by the defender. The DC is
Weapon Attack: 10 + body + dodge
Magic Attack: 10 + mind + willpower or use magic

Damage
A successful attack deals 1d6 damage, a extraordinary attack 2d6.
Characters have 15 hit points. If a target is reduced to 10 or 5 hit points from an attack, the attack has injured or similarly affected him. The Injured Result in a weapon or spell description what happens then, if nothing is noted, the target takes a -2 penalty on his next action. If it is reduced to 0 hit points, it is considered a Knockout Result. If nothing else is noted in a weapon, this means the target is dead or dying.
A character that has at least one point of Karma is merely injured and needs medical attention. If he received that, he or the one treating him can spend one point of karma to recover him fully, otherwise he takes a cumulative -1 penalty to every 3d6 roll.
[/sblock]

Weapons
[sblock]
Weapons (or spells) allow you to roll additional d6 on attack or damage, and pick the best combination of result. This can't change the number of total dice added. They might also provide special injury or knockout effects, replacing the standard -2 penalty or dead/dying condition.

For example:
Unarmed:
Injured Result: The target loses its weapon or is knocked prone. (-4 to his next attack).
Knockout Result: The target can be dropped unconscious instead of killed.

Knife:
+1d6 attack.
Injured Result: The target is bleeding. (1 point of damage at the start of each action, Endurance or Treat Injury DC 11 ends)

Rapier:
+2d6 attack

Longsword:
+1d6 attack and +1d6 damage.

Axe:
+2d6 damage.

Flail:
+1d6 damage.
Injured Result: The target loses its weapon or is knocked prone. (-4 to his next attack).

Club:
+1d6 damage.
Injured Result: The target is knocked prone (-4 to his next attack).
Knockout Result: The target is dropped unconscious.

Bow:
+1d6 damage. You can attack two enemies with a single attack.

Crossbow:

Pistol:
+1d6 attack. You can wield two Pistols to attack two enemies with a single attack (you don't need to split your dice).

Rifle:

Automatic Rifles:
+1d6 attack or +1d6 damage and target two enemies or
target four enemies.
[/sblock]

Spells
[sblock]
Spells are simple - declare which spell to use and roll your skill check.
Since magic is often supposed to be very powerful and dangerous, the gamemaster may allow the character to take drain damage from casting spells for improved effect.
The character takes 1d6 damage but rolls an additional 2d6 for his Use Magic skill roll when doing so. An injured result might add some complication, or just cause a -2 penalty to the next Use Magic roll of the character.

Optionally, the spellcaster might allow allow this drain to be taken by a willing or helpless creature.

Charm Person:
+1d6 damage. Injured Result: Target cannot attack its round. Knockout Result: Target treats you as friend and is no longer hostile.

Dominate Person:
+1d6 attack: Injured Result: Target makes a single attack against a target of your choice on its action. Knockout Result: Target treats you as friend.

Magic Missile:
+1d6 attack and target two enemies.

Fireball:
Target 4 enemies. Flammable material in the area might catch fire.
Injured Result: Catch Fire. The target takes 1 point of damage at the start of each of its turn, until it succeeds at an Endurance or Medicine Check DC 11.
Knockout Result: Target is burned to a pile of ashes.

Flesh to Stone:
Injured Result: Target cannot act on its next action and attacks are made at +4. Knockout Result: Target is turned to stone.

Counterspell:
Not an attack. Roll for Use Magic. This is the number of points you can spend for yourself or allies in radius to improve their defenses against magical attacks.

Invisibility:
Not an attack. Roll for Use Magic and use the result like Stealth, except you can do this even when in plain sight.

Knock:
Not an attack. Roll for Use Magic and use the result like Thievery.

Summon Monster:
Not a direct attack. You conjure a creature under your control. The creature uses your Charisma for all its attributes and your Use Magic skill rating for all its skills. It has 5 hit points. You can take up to 3d6 points of damage to increase its hit points by an equal amount. When the creature is reduced to 0 hit points or less, you take 1d6 points of damage.
You can direct it to make an attack with a +1d6 bonus to the attack or a +1d6 bonus to its damage. You have to use your own action dice for the attack.
[/sblock]

Armor
[sblock]
Light Armor grants a +1 (Leather) to +2 (Hide or Kevlar Vest) bonus to the characters Dodge value.

Heavy Armor replaces the characters Dodge skill with a bonus between 4 to 6 (4: Chainmail or Kevlar Jacket, 5: Scale Mail or SWAT Armor, 6: Plate Armor or Bomb Squad Armor). Heavy armor also reduces all damage inflicted on the character by 1.
A character armed with a shield gets 3 dodge points which work exactly like the dodge points gained by defensive fighting.

Advancement and Rewards
Successful combats, roleplaying scenes, or other encounters grant karma.
At the end of a session, a character can spend up to 3 points of karma. An ability raise costs 3 points, a skill raise 1 point. Neither skill nor attributes should be raised beyond 6. Additional spells can also be bought 1 point per rank (better make up some more before getting there.)

A character can spend Karma to reroll any roll he just made and take the better result. In combat, he can also spend karma to negate a injured effect or a knockout effect.

Additional rewards might exist in form of treasures, advanced or magical equipment, favors or reputation.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

erf_beto

First Post
When I was in high school, we had 20-30 min breakes between classes, so we ran a game for people who never played RPGs before using paper-rock-scisors contests to adjucate challenges. Sometimes, when the players tried anything the GM thought was two hard, we did best-of-three, or five.
The players had only chosen (or were given) character concepts to work with. Thankfully, the wizard player wasn't a power gamer, because he could possibly do anything.
It was really fun, and the game went on for about 3 months!

BUT, I recognize that even a small mechanical system to balance things would be nice.

And I agree, a one shot system should have simple CharGen, in-game level advancement tied to a simple reward system, should only use a handfull of d6 dice (2d6 is best), no long lists of anything, and possibly be setting independent.

Ariosto

First Post
Wik said:
4. Advancement wouldn't be included in the game (because PCs shouldn't really be levelling up).
That offers the advantage of not having to worry over (non-existent) "levels" of characters and scenarios; anyone can play in any one.
Wik said:
Perhaps include PC advancement IN the game. So that PCs level during play. That could be a lot of fun.
As opposed to advancement OUTSIDE the game, NOT during play?? What would that look like? I'm not sure what's being compared here, in practical terms.

Mustrum Ridcully said:
Okay, this is a simple system - I wonder if it's already too complex?
"Simple" and "system" tend not to go together in this field! Instead of front-loading complications at the most abstract level, try looking first at what you're more specifically trying to do and then adding just what it takes to do that.

The adventure is in key particulars. The original Metamorphosis Alpha gets quickly into stuff that makes the situation interesting. There's not a lot of "fat" to trim by "systematizing", and uniformity is not always a virtue. Character skills can be added without contriving complicated schemes of probability.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm working on something like this currently though, since I plan to sell it, I can't divulge too many details here. I can say that the game is extremely simple, uses only six-sided dice, and is complete (sans art) in less than 30 pages. A primary goal was to make it accessible to hobby newcomers.

Characters have three primary traits (not Body/Mind/Soul) and skill sets that can be learned via three different levels of training. The primary mechanic is based on a dice pool of ten dice or less (making it manageable).

The game itself focuses on high lethality military adventure with an element of weird science. Each 'adventure' is, essentially, a self-contained field operation and, if desired, individual operations can be linked to form a campaign continuity (though that is entirely optional).

Several setting elements and options for adventure are offered in a bulleted format, including brief examinations of genre tenets. The section for the GM includes an introductory adventure.

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
That offers the advantage of not having to worry over (non-existent) "levels" of characters and scenarios; anyone can play in any one.
As opposed to advancement OUTSIDE the game, NOT during play?? What would that look like? I'm not sure what's being compared here, in practical terms.

Character's "Level up" during play. As an example, imagine you got XP at the end of every encounter, and as soon as you hit a milestone, everything on your sheet goes up by 1. This happens multiple times in a single session.

In a game I designed a while back (It's on the threads here, somewhere.... called the Awakening) PCs had percentile skills, and whenever they rolled a zero on either die, there was a chance the skill they were using went up by 1% - and that was how characters "levelled".

I like the variety seen in the games put forward - it really shows how different people approach the same challenge. We've got games that could work as a single one-shot or a campaign (MR), and Erf's "Rock Paper Scissors" approach would be the exact opposite (it sort of reminds me of Dread).

Jezrael

First Post
I use Spirit of the Century (SRD here)with some optional rules.

I use the Fast Character Creation in the SRD (Section 2.16) in conjunction with the Stuntless Rules on the SotC Wiki.

All you need is a name, description, two aspects and your apex skill and you are ready to roll. Taking out the stunts cuts the rules down considerably and invoking aspects to replace them works very well.

The rest of your apsects and skills can be brought up organically in play. Dead simple stuff.

Also if you don't like the Fudge Dice (4dF) you can roll d6-d6 instead.

Woas

First Post
The aspect of being able to start right away with little to no prep is important. That said, I think the need for simple character creations is the most important part of that whole. A lot of games I've played that posit long, multiple sessions 'campaigns' also require a lot of upfront brain-work on the part of the player to figure out who/what the character is... be it stats, feats, aspects, characteristics, etc.

So if I were creating a pick-up/one-shot RPG I would make sure to add a way to allow the players to mold/shape their characters during play via some sort of game mechanic.

Remove ads