a variation of Green Lantern

Stormborn

Explorer
First, why is this in general? Second, Blue Lantern, are you just trying to get a yes-no answer or are you actually playing in a game and want this to be a PC? Check out Mutants and Masterminds 2e and Ultimate Power for the same system if you want a system that might be able to handle it (not saying for sure that it can, but it might). The power ring is pretty powerful in the hands of someone with an imagination. In a game, without a writer to control the character and throw up plot complications, it would like be too powerful to allow purelly as is regardless of the system. There would have to be a limiting factor, perhaps a skill check, to prevent abuse, not to mention a GM who could adapt well on the fly.

Now, as for DnD possibilites, the Warlock has mechanics that might replicate some of the GLs powers. You could just say that the blasts were blue.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
LoneWolf23 said:
Why place in the Impurity? To prevent the Lanterns from abusing their powers by giving them a strong limitation.

Yep, to keep them humble. If I recall correctly, at one point a particularly jerky Green Lantern gets the "commoner vs. cat" treatment, because his ring can't stop the furball... :D

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
SWBaxter said:
I'm not real familiar with Stormwatch, but Wikipedia's article on the team says that Ellis introduced a "secret" Stormwatch team with direct parallels to the JLA:

Apollo - Superman
Midnighter - Batman
Impetus - Flash
Amaze - Wonder Woman
Lamplight - Green Lantern
Stalker - Martian Manhunter
Crow Jane - Black Canary

I can't speak to how close the homage/parody/whatever is to the source, but it seems reasonable to me that there's at least a nod to DC's characters.
Well, the Wiki article on Green Lantern made no such qualifications. For the vast majority of Stormwatch's existence (stretching back almost to the beginning of the Wildstorm label), it was a UN paramilitary superhero team, even after most of them were killed horribly by Aliens.

I own the Ellis run of Stormwatch and his Authority series and only vaguely remember Crow Jane, et al. I can't help but think this is mostly a team mentioned more than seen.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
pawsplay said:
For that matter, the Silver Age Green Lantern was a knockoff of the Lensmen series.

How so? Lensmen was all about the telepathy (and the inertialess ships, natch). Never had any creation of arbitrary objects out of energy.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
LoneWolf23 said:
Originally, the concept between the Yellow weakness was that it was a "Yellow Impurity" placed within the Power Rings, which turned the otherwise Blue energy of the Guardians into Green energy, and made the energy further vulnerable to yellow.

Hmm . . . what about Sinestro's power ring. It's been a while since I read any comics with him in but I don't remember his ring having a specific weakness against anything? If his ring didn't have a "yellow impurity" in it wouldn't it be blue?

I know looking for logic in what may well have been somewhat unconnected decision-making over GLs comic book career is potentially quite futile but it would be nice to know if any one know's something about this.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Erekose said:
Hmm . . . what about Sinestro's power ring. It's been a while since I read any comics with him in but I don't remember his ring having a specific weakness against anything? If his ring didn't have a "yellow impurity" in it wouldn't it be blue?

I know looking for logic in what may well have been somewhat unconnected decision-making over GLs comic book career is potentially quite futile but it would be nice to know if any one know's something about this.
The addressed this in Guy Gardner's comic, back before they turned him into a shapechanging alien for a while (I know, I know). The ring's weakness wasn't color, it's that it was recharged by green rings, which is inconvenient even if you ARE a supervillain who beats up Green Lanterns and damned awkward if you're a superhero not on speaking turns with the then-last Green Lantern on Earth.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Plane Sailing said:
How so? Lensmen was all about the telepathy (and the inertialess ships, natch). Never had any creation of arbitrary objects out of energy.

Let's see... alien race distributes items of power? Check. (Guardians == Arisians)

Beings with these items organized to act as galactic peacekeepers & police? Check. (Green Lantern Corps == Galactic Patrol)

Heck, there were Green Lanterns named Arisia and Eddore as homage to the Lensmen.

And while they don't make physical objects, the second and third stage Lensmen are pretty darned potent...

EditorBFG

Explorer
The lowdown on the Ellis JLA/Stormwatch thing

SWBaxter said:
I'm not real familiar with Stormwatch, but Wikipedia's article on the team says that Ellis introduced a "secret" Stormwatch team with direct parallels to the JLA:

Apollo - Superman
Midnighter - Batman
Impetus - Flash
Amaze - Wonder Woman
Lamplight - Green Lantern
Stalker - Martian Manhunter
Crow Jane - Black Canary

I can't speak to how close the homage/parody/whatever is to the source, but it seems reasonable to me that there's at least a nod to DC's characters.

This team appeared only in flashback. Henry Bendix, Stormwatch's evil commander, had previously assembled this early Stormwatch team, but they had all been killed except Apollo and Midnighter. They were a purposeful JLA analog.

Lamplighter (not Lamplight) carried a lantern which, Planetary later revealed, had been taken from an unnamed alien vivisected by bad guys.

Remove ads