D&D 5E A wizard with a "Boots of Elvenkind" using inivisibility spell

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Oooh...this is not in the 3.5 section.

It doesn't matter. The boots do not state that they do not work with armor, so they do work with armor. If they work with armor, the item would be worthless with armor if it did not prevent the sound. Plus, there would be no way to adjudicate it since there is no perception roll at all for something that does not make sound. Hence, there is no disadvantage for heavy armor for a perception roll that does not exist.

Bottom line, any noise from armor is considered part of movement. If the armor is not moving, it should not be making noise.

This does not mean that if something struck the armor, that it would not make a sound. It would. It just means that the normal sounds of armor caused by movement would not be heard.

Eejit

First Post
All of these work except the last one. NPCs cannot make a successful listen check against a PC that has the boots on. Even the sound of the PC's armor is part of sound caused by movement.

Listening could still work, depending how long the invisible person can hold their breath for.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Listening could still work, depending how long the invisible person can hold their breath for.

As a DM, I would not default to allowing an NPC to listen for a PC's breathing without extenuating circumstances like the NPC knowing the existence of the PC and it is a totally quiet room, or the PC was just exerting himself heavily, or the NPC has a particularly keen sense of hearing or something similar.

I would not give a roll to an NPC to hear a PC under normal circumstances (99% of the time). Breathing cannot be heard even in quiet places for any significant distance and where there is any background noise at all (even the breathing of other NPCs), it would be nearly impossible to hear.

Sit in a quiet room. Most people would have difficulty hearing their own breathing unless they take a deep breath. Note: this changes with sleeping when the conscious mind is no longer in control.

People can take this out of hand in a game.

DM: "You did not have breakfast this morning, so he hears your stomach rumbling." :lol:

The intent of the boots is to make a PC quiet, so the PC is quiet unless he purposes tries to make noise as a general rule. Otherwise, why does the DM even hand out the boots if he is going to just ignore the magic of them and give the NPCs listening checks anyway? Granted, a given DM might have the boots just make a PC harder to hear, but that should probably be a stealth modifier in that case and not how the boots in this post were written up.

Dausuul

Legend
DUH! From the OP I guess (at least, that's where I got them...)

Oh, I see. I thought the OP was paraphrasing a published magic item, and I wanted to verify what the actual rules text said. If it's homebrewed, then it's a question for the DM--the DM should decide how he or she would like the boots to work, and make them work that way.

If I were presented with a published magic item whose text was simply, "The wearer of these boots makes no sound while moving," my first response would be to gripe about lazy designers not putting in the minimum effort to define how an item works in common situations. Then I'd rule you can't be detected while invisible except in special circumstances (e.g., you're moving through mud and leaving tracks, or you just fought your way out of an otyugh's nest and haven't washed off the stink). Under those circumstances, Perception checks to detect you get disadvantage.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Where are you guys finding the stats for boots of elvenkind?

My quess is that it comes from the September play test.

When wearing these, your movement makes no sound, even from the environment (dry leaves, broken glass, creaking floor boards).

Also, any elves who see a non-elf wearing these assume that they are stolen, although they are sometimes given as gifts.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I think the rules cover this pretty well already.

Initially, the chance for detection would be Passive Perception (at -5 due to disadvantage). This covers all of those minute possibilities that they are just noticed. Once there is a reason for somebody to actively be searching, I would rule that they make a Perception check with disadvantage.

Note that even without the boots of elvenkind, invisibility automatically grants advantage on your attack (because you can't be seen), and then is dispelled. If your opponent is attempting to attack first, it's at disadvantage (because they can't see you), and might miss altogether if they don't know where you are.

The miss chance goes away if they know where you are (succeed on their Perception check). Once they know where you are (presumably even if you have a ring or cloak that can't be dispelled), you'd have to successfully Hide (with advantage, and their Perception check is probably at disadvantage) in order to be someplace else to maintain that miss chance.

The fact that all of this is irrelevant with a 1st level spell (Faerie Fire) can't be overlooked. Throwing a shovelful of ashes from the fireplace onto the floor, smashing a few bottles, or similar approaches to reveal footsteps, or even throwing ashes or flour onto the invisible creature (DMs judgement as to whether it becomes invisible) are also things to keep in mind.

Another thing that DMs often forget is that your allies can't determine where you are either. So if they are planning on rushing into battle (or firing missiles) then there could be potential consequences as well. At the very least I'd probably rule that a critical miss might in fact have struck the silent and invisible ally. It depends a lot on the action that's going on.

As was also mentioned before, other sense still work, and I think that, at least in their home, most high level villians have far too few pets (dogs, etc.) than they should. Once a dog has latched onto the invisible creature, then Perception checks are irrelevent. Attacks against them may still be at disadvantage, but they wouldn't have a miss chance then either.

But by far my favorite defense is Faerie Fire. I point it out to every new spell caster because it not only reveals the invisible creature but everybody gets advantage on attacks against them. An almost ridiculously powerful 1st level spell.

Ilbranteloth

Ashkelon

First Post
I always imagined invisibility working like a chameleon suit.

When you are still, you are perfectly invisible. When you move, there is a faint outline as the light bends around you.

So even a silent invisible creature will still be somewhat noticeable while they move.

Also, don't forget that people breath, clothes rustle, pouches jangle, etc. Just because your footsteps aren't making noise, it does not mean you are totally silent.

pepticburrito

First Post
This combination has created a big problem in the game, because not find anything in the rule covering this, and I'm very easy wizard just disappear, and no one able to use your perception against him.

He's one trap away from having his legs blown off. If he wants to scout ahead with his new toys, let him. He can still trigger a trap and die.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases