AASIMAR PROTECTOR PALADIN & THE TOMB OF ANNIHILATION CHARACTER HELP

ZethTheRed

First Post
I will be playing an Aasimar Protector Paladin in the upcoming Tomb of Annihilation adventure.
I will be playing in the Adventure League format at a local gaming store.
The campaign is expected to get the character from levels 1 to 11.
As far as mapping out my character, I am not concerned about levels 12 and above at this time.
My Paladin’s archetype will be Oath of the Ancients.
I will be taking at least 7 levels of Paladin (though I am not sure in what order if I multiclass.)
I will be taking Resilient (CONSTITUTION) as my 1st feat (ASI)
My character’s deity will be Lathander.
These are set in stone.

It’s my understanding this adventure will be set in the jungles of Chult with some Yuan-ti and undead running around. So, ideas for dealing with plants, poison and necrotic damage are most welcome!
I am also hoping to get some thoughts on what to do with the other 4 levels, another possible ASI/feat, spells, etc. and would enjoy seeing what everyone’s input is!
I will tailor my background story based on what the final character looks like at level 11.

THINGS TO CONSIDER:
I have considered taking a level or 2 in Cleric with the Nature Domain because it will provide me access to Shilleigh and the 2nd level domain feature which allows me to control Beasts or Magical Plants (and since we are in a jungle I’m assuming there will be magical plants to overcome!).
Not positive what cantrips and spells to take.
I have also considered taking a level or 3 in Sorcerer.
This gives me access to the Shield spell and Metamagic options.
Again, not sure what other spells or what Metamagic options will be most useful.
Fighting style is up in the air. I can’t decide between dueling, protection and defense.
I like Protection but dislike that you have to be within 5’ to use it.
Paladin spells – other than Protection from Evil and Good and Protection from Poison, not sure what other will be most useful in this campaign.

ANY & ALL ASSISTANCE APPRECIATED!

mellored

Legend
Shilleghlah from the nature cleric, will let you attack with Wis, and Wis does nothing for paladins. You could get it from either bard or warlock, which lets you attack with Cha, but that takes away a few levels of paladin.
Also, your channel diviintiy will be based on Wis, which again, won't be that high, and does not combine well with your paladin channel divinity.

I wouldn't take Resilient as your first feat. +2 just isn't much. Make it your second feat when the bonus is +4, and only if you use concentration spells (like quicken+bless).
If you want to be a protector, then Inspiring Leader will go a long way to keeping your party healthy. Or just +2 Cha for spell saves against everything for everybody, including concentration.

ZethTheRed

First Post
I think I can use my Charisma (Paladin spellcasting ability)for Shilleghlah. The spell doesn't say it has to be Wisdom and I know some bards take it and use Charisma. My starting Charisma will be 16. My starting Wisdom will be 14 so yes on the Channel Divinity it won't be as high and as you mentioned does not combine with my Paladin Channel Divinity. The Paladin is so MAD. Inspiring Leader is a consideration, thanks for the suggestion.

neogod22

Explorer
Since it's AL I won't be able to combine Volo's and the Warlock of Undying Light fro another source.
Yes that. Also, don't worry about that too much, if the DM runs it right, your character will die. Make back ups and don't think about optimizing because it's gonna be useless.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

gyor

Legend
If you goal is too be a protector don't multiclass, you really can't do better then straight Greenknight with multiclassing.

It gives you options for tanking, healing, protecting, and some other cool stuff.

Lock an enemy down with Ensnaring strike, boost their saves and reduce damage from magic spells by half for anyone in your aura, and so on.

Man eating trap has you, misty step out, disease, your immune and can cure others with lay on hands, Yaun-Ti casts poison spray at you, your aura reduces the damage, T-Tex tries to bite you in half with insane damage, get back up with 1 hp, fighting undead, Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite.

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
I know you said some things were set in stone, but protector paladins wear heavy armor, and something tells me that this adventure will be bad for heavy armor types, making use of extreme jungle heat and the exhaustion condition.

I would find a way to be a more dexterous paladin or perhaps be a nature paladin (Oath of the Ancients) since you will be dealing with plants and jungle animals in Chult.

Protector paladins are a dime a dozen.

A nature/green knight type paladin would be awesome in this campaign!...perhaps worshiping peaceful Chauntea (Mother Earth) or Silvanus (the Great Tree Yggdrasil) or even reckless Talos (the Storm Lord). If you play an elf you could also dig into the elven pantheon for more nature deities.

...just my two cents....

ZethTheRed

First Post
I didn't consider heavy armor and exhaustion. I've only played one heavy armor character and it was in Curse of Stradh.
My problem with the dexterous paladin is that the paladin must have a 13 Strength. You almost need a 14 dex to make it worthwhile and then I want a decent Con and Charisma. It's so MAD but thanks and I am reconsidering Dex.
I am thinking of Lathander because his followers consider undead an affront.
Definately going Oath of the Anicents.
Thoughts on taking a couple levels of cleric? I know we are only get to level 11 total.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases