Aasimar to Celestial to Half Celestial to What?

domino

First Post
CrusadeDave said:
Eventually my wife is going to have to stop advancing on these classes, she's gone from being Dazed, to weakened, to paralyzed on every Blasphemy.
Erm, how is that working? Or is it just that the LA is hurting her HD so that it's so much lower comparatively than the usual CL?

Spatzimaus

First Post
I always liked using Soldarin's ECL system (http://soldarin.tripod.com/id5.html) when balancing racial HD with classes, because the core 1HD=1ECL +LA system just never worked. According to his system, a Dragon or Outsider HD is worth ECL+0.8 (for the HP, BAB, Saves, and skill points, I mean). You're not getting any class abilities/spellcasting, so they're still a little weaker than a class level. Of course, this system was made back in 3E, when monsters got fewer Feats, so you COULD argue it's gone up.

Doing the math: every Deva HD you replace with a Druid level gains you 0.2 ECL, and that's assuming you don't get ANY of the angel abilities. The 12 HD a normal Deva has, then, would be worth ECL+9.6 (call it 10), meaning all those other abilities are actually worth ECL +10.4. You could try breaking it down further if you didn't want every ability, but I'd say then that the full package would require 10 levels, and that's assuming that for those 10 levels you didn't give ANY hit points, BAB, saves, or skill points.

Bottom line: I don't think it's possible to let a player become a true Deva without becoming horrendously overpowered. It's not a question of whether the player is a powergamer; it's just inherently too strong.

CrusadeDave

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
You could try breaking it down further if you didn't want every ability, but I'd say then that the full package would require 10 levels, and that's assuming that for those 10 levels you didn't give ANY hit points, BAB, saves, or skill points.

Well, at this point, that's what I've done. With the first level, being the Aasimar traits, the 2nd level being the Celestial traits, the 3rd and fourth levels gaining the Half Celestial, and then 6 more levels to get to full Deva status.

Spatzimaus said:
Bottom line: I don't think it's possible to let a player become a true Deva without becoming horrendously overpowered. It's not a question of whether the player is a powergamer; it's just inherently too strong.

Right now she's a Level 15 Druid, as a Half Celestial and the fifth (of 10) level of the progression: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, NA Set to +3 Natural Form (Was +1).

As everyone else in the party is level 20 she doesn't seem overpowered at the moment. When party members start adding epic feats next level, she may start to be underpowered.

And the lack of HD is definately starting to be a problem against Balors. Blasphemy, Blasphemy, Blasphemy. Her current strategy is to stay in the back, and act as a support caster and occasional offensive caster. Not enough HD to make a difference Wild Shaped. Her DC's are ok on her 8th level Druid Spells, not so much with Spell like abilities due to low charisma.

Remove ads