• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability increasing magic items...

dcollins

Explorer
kreynolds said:
Now, there is no rule that states that a magic item that grants a bonus to Strength cannot grant a bonus greater than +6.

Except on DMG p. 176: "Most items that add to ability scores are restricted to a maximum bonus of +6."

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

dcollins said:
Except on DMG p. 176: "Most items that add to ability scores are restricted to a maximum bonus of +6."

Yeah, Most, not all. I took that too mean "Items that grant a bonus above +6 are very powerful and should be very difficult to find. You, as the DM, should be careful when adding such items to your campaign."

It didn't say all items, it said most items, so that's a worthless referrence and is the exact reason that I didn't bring it up in the first place. The DMG is vague about this whole issue.

But, as I stated above, the PH is much more direct, stating that ability scores cannot be raised above +6 by magic items, which is just rediculous, as I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

Last edited:

Gilmax

First Post
The Players Handbook specificaly states on page 10 second coloumn last sentence of the thrid bullet:

"Note that a magic item of this type can't change an ability score by more than +6"

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

Gilmax said:
The Players Handbook specificaly states on page 10 second coloumn last sentence of the thrid bullet:

"Note that a magic item of this type can't change an ability score by more than +6"

Uhh...thanks, but you're a little slow off the mark there bucko. By the way, what's up Dwarf? ;)

Hey everybody. This is the guy that pointed out that passage in the PH to me yesterday.

Last edited:

Gilmax

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

Originally posted by

Uhh...thanks, but you're a little slow off the mark there bucko. By the way, what's up Dwarf? ;)

Hey everybody. This is the guy that pointed out that passage in the PH to me yesterday.

Sorry about restating the previous mention section. Didn't have much time to read the whole thread before a having to attend a meeting, so I skimmed it and missed the two references to it.

As for allowing higher then +6 enhancement bonuses on a magic item, I personally don't have any problem against it, but think that you might want to impose a slightly higher cost on them versus the standard creation (x2 cost of all +8 and higher).

My reason for this is that as far as my memory is concerned there is no spell that grants higher then +6 to a stat.

P.S. Just so people understand. The reason I can remember the page number of a weird rule like stat enhancement bonus, and not remember the effects of spells, is that I just started to reread the PH about 2 hours before (to stop a couple of Rule Lawyers in one of my games) kreynolds asked me this question.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

Gilmax said:
My reason for this is that as far as my memory is concerned there is no spell that grants higher then +6 to a stat.

Tenser’s Transformation, 6th level spell, a +2d4 Strength enhancement bonus, a +2d4 Dexterity enhancement bonus. But I won't blame you, as I know you haven't gotten to the spells in the PH yet. ;)

It's because spells like this exhist that I began making items that grant stat bonuses higher than +6.

Last edited:

HeavyG

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

Gilmax said:

How about an empowered empowered empowered Bull's Strength ? This could get you *counts on his fingers* a +5 to +12 enhancement bonus, no ?

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

HeavyG said:
How about an empowered empowered empowered Bull's Strength ? This could get you *counts on his fingers* a +5 to +12 enhancement bonus, no ?

Just to refresh my memory, Empower increases the rolled result by 1.5. Would a thrice empowered spell increase the rolled result by 2.5 (1.5 + .5 + .5 = 2.5)?

Last edited:

HeavyG

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

kreynolds said:

Just to refresh my memory, Empower increases the rolled result by 1.5. Would a thrice empowered spell increase the rolled result by 2.5 (1.5 + .5 + .5 = 2.5)?

Yes.

As far as I can tell.

2.5X2 = 5
2.5X5 = 12.5 (rounded down to 12)

Remove ads