• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Score Scale 1 to 20

Aus_Snow

First Post
Go no lower than -4, would be my advice. And (preferably) use point buy. So, minimum 4.

That's still a modifier of -3. Not so good, but functional or whatever.

Also, things can get pretty wacky after about +4, for that matter. So I'd cap that there, as well.

Creeping Death

First Post
You don't ever want to do odd racial modifiers either. If you had a -3 to a stat and a +3 to another stat, you could use point buy to minimize the -3 and maximize the +3. Racial stat modifiers should always be even.

Phasics

First Post
Thanks Guys

Once I've finished putting together my idea I'll post a linky in this thread for the race idea.

Heh I still get the feeling its going to need alot of tweaking before being playable.

And just a note on Races

Would it be acceptable to design a race that has fixed attributes for character generation ? Or at least partially fixed by limiting the point buy ? i.e. instead of 28 point buy , it say 12 12 12 4 4 4 base with 21 point buy or 14 14 14 3 3 3 with 18 point buy ? or even 15 15 15 5 5 5 with 9 point buy ?

Either that or put restrictions on the max of certain attributes e.g. mental scores are 6 or less and phys scores are 20 or less.

Or is it pretty much a case of its mine race and I'll do what I want with it ;)

Creeping Death

First Post
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to come up with a race that is super awesome at being a mage, cleric, psion, sorceror or a race that is super awesome at combat without the +X LA?

If so, that is going to be hard to do.

As much as I love 3.Xe you are going to run into problems if you have a party where half the group has AC that is 20 more than the other half. Saves would present the same problem, if half the group's saves are so far above the other, it will be very hard to almost impossible to find the right encounter.

Your last 2 stat blocks are pretty much the same for a wizard of that race. Int is so good but con sucks so bad that he would only get 1 hp a level. His already weak fort save would be crippled by a 5 or a 3 Con that he would only be good as a scholar mage. AC would suck since his dex would also be so low. Without taking any feats to increase HP, and without boosting Con at levels 4,8.12,16 or 20, this mage would have 20 hp. How would this character fare against a human fighter or even another mage? A 10th level mage could cast fireball 10d6, get 35 (the average) and if, if this mage made the save he'd survive the first round, but only have 3-4 hp left.

Compare and contrast the differences. Super fighter race takes fighter and has 18 CON without magic items or feats, his fort save will be 16, while the super wizard would be 3, same with will save. Whatever threat one could easily pass, the other will only pass on a 20. When the math gets like that, then encounters turn into half the group sitting out because they have no hope of succeeding or contributing while the other side shines. I think SWSE got it right. You want to try to keep the numbers in a tight range.

What you could do is have a race with +4 Int and -2 to each of the physical stats, keep point buy the same as all other races. This would make that race excel at a certain form of magic but not suck too bad as other character classes.

Hope that helps.

Remove ads