About SOAK

Atom Mlatom

First Post
So, I've been playing around with character generation. And not even trying to be all that tweaky about it, but here's something I ran into pretty quick:

Making a character with the Ogre's +5 SOAK special ability, and then equipping scale mail for 7 SOAK.... maybe I'm misinterpreting something but at 12 SOAK, that pretty much makes my starting character invulnerable to anybody with a 2d6 damage (roughly 60% of the melee weapons list) unless they get exploding dice. It even makes him mostly invulnerable to guys with 3d6 damage unless they get on the luckier end of a roll.

So... SOAK.. maybe... a little... twinked? Or am I missing something? Here is a suggestion, if this isn't already how it's intended to be read: Maybe your SOAK score should only be the highest of any type of armor you're wearing. So this Ogre with Scale Mail would actually have a SOAK of 7, in that case.

And/Or maybe SOAK scores in general should be dropped a bit lower?
Thoughts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You trade your attack dice to increase damage to bypass armour. That's a central part of the system - base damage is very low without doing that.

Remove ads