• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About ... your table

arnoo

First Post
My post certainly will amuse some of you…

I would like to know under which conditions of playing you, I want to speak about the material and items (table(s), chairs, lights, dice, others).

I am particularly interested by the characteristics of... your table(its dimensions, for how much players, mats, etc.).

Thanks

--Arnoo

Well, my ...table is a coffee table. We sit in the den, not around a table per se, on couches and easy chairs. The only reason I use a table at all is for the battlemat, which only comes into play when we're playing d20. Which is certainly most of the time, though.

For lighting, I turn off the overhead light and use the lamps; it's plenty of light still, but it gives a dimmer feel, which is good. I also use a stereo, although I recently swapped out DVD players, so I can't play my CD full of mp3s anymore.

Munin

First Post
Ah, the game table is an often overlooked element of the gaming experience. Like JD, my group is pretty laid back. We lounge on comefy chairs, sofas and even bean bags. When battle starts, we break out a fold out table and use Tact Tiles. I highly recommend you check them out if you haven't done so already.

Lord Foul

First Post
when I did have a game going, we played in my basement on a ping-pong table. It was great. You had plenty on room to spred out your books and leave the battlemat out.

Tinner

First Post
Our table sucks

No, seriously. I hate the layout we have for our game group!
The only one of us that has an area big enough to game in, and doesn't live out in the sticks has graciously offered us his basement.
We have one crappy table that is pushed in the corner, which means we can't all get around it. Some players are sitting across the room on recliners, and some are in fold up chairs. We can only get the GM and two players around the table.
This scattered arrangement makes gaming difficult. Not everyone can see the maps and handouts easily. The GM can't see the players to read their reactions to descriptions, and some of the players can't even see each other, which makes RP hard.
I'd really like to move, but we have no where else to go. Sadly, this crappy arrangement IS our only choice for the moment.
Oh well, a mildly crappy game is still better than no game at all ...

boxstop7

First Post
My current group has actually managed to find an unoccupied conference room in the student union building of a local college. We meet there, and will continue to do so until we're kicked out :D

- Jason

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
At my house it is the kitchen table. The table is 3 1/2 feet across and with both leaves expands to 108 inches long. The table has six wood chairs that we made cushions for, plus we have a computer chair, an old chair with arms and a nice thick cushion (if any players are pregnant, this chair is reserved for them) and two folding chairs from WalMart with token seat padding. Yes, sometimes we need all of them. I have four tray tables, two for the DM and gear, two placed between other players around the table. When we first started playing we had a lamp hanging over the table that had one huge bulb pointing down. It was painful if you accidently looked up at it and it hung low and hurt if you banged into while reaching across the battlemat. We replaced it with a country-style chandelier that is higher and not so painfully bright.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
6' x 3' folding conference style table set up in my gaming room. Several nice comfortable chairs around it. The walls of the room filled with bookcases full of gaming books, props, minis and terrain, etc. A couple of lamps a few candle sticks around to provide ambience. My computer on a seperate desk at one end of the table to hold my notes (a monitor turned away from the players with a click on screensaver is the best DM screen ever :) ), to play music and sound effects, run DM Familiar, keep a copy of the SRD up, etc.

It's nice to have been playing and collecting game stuff for 25 years and to be able to treat yourself from time to time on more than a student's salary :)

Imperialus

Explorer
my group sits around a large oak turn of the century dining table. Makes for some paranoid looks when we bust out the fancy dice, the ones made from brass, pewter or dwight's D20 the size of a chihuahua’s head.

Remove ads