D&D 5E Absorb Elements saved my life.

Corwin

Explorer
The demon killed our gnome mage. Sure, our cleric would be able to revivify him if we can end the fight quickly enough. But just then the Maze Engine shook, scattering us about. The dead gnome slid into the lava below before anyone could get to him. Of course, earlier in the day, I had given him our bag of holding with a bunch of our loot in it! Figures...

My goliath EK, without hesitating, leapt off the platform as he shunted his maul into the nether for its own good. Things were about to get messy.

Lava hurts, BTW. No, seriously. Ouch! Every round, as the DM rolled some insane amount of damage, I was able to react with absorb elements to reduce it by half. It took three rounds to grab the gnome's burning body, hold him out of the magma as I swam to the nearest cliff face, and manage to climb out enough to get myself out of immediate danger. One more round would have probably killed me too, even *with* another casting of absorb elements.

By that time the rest of the group had wrapped up the fight. So I dragged the gnome's charred corpse back up to the top of the Maze Engine, flung him onto it and rolled myself up onto my back. Smoldering and (now) naked, I could only manage to exhale weakly, "I am of stone..."

The cleric was able to revive him in time. Though we use lingering injuries and he is severely scarred and one of his legs was completely incinerated. But he'll live. And, more importantly, the bag of holding survived!

That was the end of last session. We are in the middle of the Underdark and my HAM fighter has a 9 AC*, and no DR, until I can figure out how to get my hands on some heavy armor. This is going to be fun...

[*at least I can cast shield to give me a 14 a few times a day...]

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The cleric was able to revive him in time. Though we use lingering injuries and he is severely scarred and one of his legs was completely incinerated. But he'll live.

Seems like a good candidate for having the missing bits replaced with warforged parts.

[video]https://youtu.be/0KYxYOo2RnA?t=248[/video]

Corwin

Explorer
You may be playing D&D, if.... ;)
Seriously, though, great tough-guy heroics your EK spellcasting opened up for you, there.
I joked with the gnome's player, as I was doing it, that I was doing it to save the bag. He can easily make another PC. But the money, and magic items, in the bag (not to mention the bag itself!) are virtually irreplaceable.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I joked with the gnome's player, as I was doing it, that I was doing it to save the bag. He can easily make another PC. But the money, and magic items, in the bag (not to mention the bag itself!) are virtually irreplaceable.
;)

"Ha! Do your worst, lich, I do not fear DEATH!"
"OK, Mordenkainen's Disjunction it is, then..."
"Aaaa! Run away! Run away!"

Valdier

Explorer
The ruling for the lava was... "anything mundane that touches it is destroyed", but magic items had 10% change per round they were in it of being destroyed... I think the gnome mage cared more about the bag of holding than his own spell book at that moment.

Remove ads