• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AC 56 at level 6! You too can do it!

moritheil

First Post
There was a surprising amount of furor over this very simple statement, so I'm branching this off into another thread.

KarinsDad said:
Ok, so you still have to back up this claim.

I've shown more than I care to show. I broke the AC down source by source, points by points. That's sufficient for anyone familiar with the books to identify everything. You have yet to sit down with the books and figure it out, which is a laughably simple task, but I won't be blamed for that. Nor do I intend to spoonfeed people who happen to randomly stop by the boards and just want a min/max build without properly understanding how it works. I want to encourage people to be able to min/max themselves, not to rely on other people posting every little detail. It's feed a man a fish versus teach a man to fish.

Your claim is that AC increase is astronomically higher than to-hit increase from levels 1 to 10.

I claim that the OP's statement that to-hit far outstrips AC is spurious at lower levels, and if anything, it's the other way around. I just happened to throw out some plausible numbers to illustrate my point.

Alter Self has a 5 HD limit. In your other post, you appear to be claiming a 5 or less HD creature with Natural Armor +20 and has the same creature type as the Elven Artificer.

This is suspect.

No, it's really not. You certainly know that the effective use of alter self hinges upon having a type other than humanoid. You also know how to get another creature type at first level. I've seen you do it before on these boards. Please don't conveniently forget how to min-max just to make me look bad. :p Come on, play fair. You know how to get the optimum AC from alter self. Why would you assume that I did anything else?

And, you did not illustrate the other side of the equation. You have yet to illustrate that a optimized to-hit same level character is astronomically lower than the optimized AC same level character. In fact, you only posted some vague numbers and didn't even attempt to post both characters.

You're still fixating on a single word I happened to use. As I said before, that's just semantics and has no real bearing on the issue at hand. If you want my reasoning, it's because some of the AC stuff isn't possible due to lack of resources/feats, etc. before 6th level. What's the fastest to-hit increase over one or two levels? I imagine the fastest it could increase would be around 5 or 6. I'd call an increase of 10-20 much higher than an increase of 5-6 (let me guess, one of your replies is going to take me to task for using "astronomically" when I really just mean "much.") However, I don't know that 5 is the biggest increase possible. Also note that I am ONLY considering literal to-hit increases, because that's what the OP I responded to discussed. I am not interested, for example, in how wraithstrike makes a mockery of high ACs; that issue is well known (and is part of why I wouldn't bother building such a high AC in a character I was running.) It is an effective AC decrease rather than a to-hit increase, and as such has no bearing on the discussion as framed by the OP.

Without real support to back up the claim, it sounds totally spurious and dismissable.

Maybe to you, because for some reason you continually question my motives. It's simple, though. I don't do to-hit optimization. I left it open for someone who really knows their stuff to come in and show how they get more than +56 to hit at 6th level (which is necessary to prove the OP's point - or have you conveniently forgotten that this is a RESPONSE to someone else's assertion and can only be properly understood in that context?)

Furthermore, no one else has attempted that pure to-hit build either. Not you, not Nail, not any of the other respondents. So you might say I've only shown half the argument, but I note that you didn't come right out and show how to do it yourself - instead you relied on a debuff, which is a known and acknowledged weakness of the build. That doesn't prove anything about the rate of increase of AC and to hit bonuses themselves.

I never said, "This character is invincible." I said that I wouldn't build a character like this myself, but it can be done. Furthermore - and this is important, for people like Nail who totally misrepresent what I'm saying - if I can do it, anyone can do it. DnD rules do not change depending on who is playing the game. Nail keeps yammering on about how most "characters" can't do it - despite the fact that I corrected him. I don't care about characters. I said that most PLAYERS can do it (the ones who can't are those who are incapable of either reading splatbooks or correctly performing math.)

The only reasons players don't do it are because either they don't realize they can do it, or they are too lazy to do it. I posted up here to address that first issue. You can address the latter issue yourself. :)

Last edited:

IanB

First Post
My response would simply be that if you want me to take your position seriously, you should show your math, rather than expecting people to spend hours trying to figure out exactly what you're talking about.

moritheil

First Post
IanB said:
My response would simply be that if you want me to take your position seriously, you should show your math, rather than expecting people to spend hours trying to figure out exactly what you're talking about.

Hours are hardly necessary. Both Nail and KD admit that they know how to get AC ~60 at that level. So for learned respondents, it isn't a question of whether it is possible.

IcyCool

First Post
moritheil said:
Nor do I intend to spoonfeed people who happen to randomly stop by the boards and just want a min/max build without properly understanding how it works. I want to encourage people to be able to min/max themselves, not to rely on other people posting every little detail. It's feed a man a fish versus teach a man to fish.

You're kidding, right? This is your response when someone asks you to back up your claims?

Wow. Just ... wow.

If it upsets you so much, why bother even creating this thread? How can it end in any other way than flames?

Crothian

First Post
Okay, so let's see it. I don't care how many people say they can do it. I can claim to fly and have people back me on that, doesn't make it true. :D

Vuron

First Post
Several people indicated that while 56 ac is possible at that level it requires very specialized builds and combos that are in no way easy to replicate.

A specific build + spell combo that the average game or player can't replicate is in fact anything but easy. It requires that someone build thier character with the express goal of having a high AC for a small number of encounters each day.

Further what cause such derision without some idea of what books you are using it's an unverifiable claim. The claim that such builds are "secret" and that if you don't already know about them you aren't going to enlighten people is a dubious debate tactic and people justifiably called you on it.

Finally you generate an entire new thread to repeat your claims without providing any proof other than a "well poster x and poster y have admitted it can be done" thus it can be done. You actually expect people to view such a statement favorably?

pogre

Legend
and this thread is why the Rules Forum has its reputation.

I open it expecting someone to show me their build to make an incredible AC character, instead I get snarky comments about rules knowledge from the OP. :confused:

Silly, just silly.

Stalker0

Legend
Agreed...this is pathetic. You are not the first person on the rules forum asked to back up their claim, and you certainly won't be the last. Either show your work, or let it go.

moritheil

First Post
Vuron said:
Several people indicated that while 56 ac is possible at that level it requires very specialized builds and combos that are in no way easy to replicate.

See my post regarding "easy" in the context of powergaming.

A specific build + spell combo that the average game or player can't replicate is in fact anything but easy. It requires that someone build thier character with the express goal of having a high AC for a small number of encounters each day.

No, that's par for the course. All characters in 3.5 (well, all efficiently designed or "powergamed" characters, which is effectively the same thing on boards such as these) are designed to do something and do it well.

Further what cause such derision without some idea of what books you are using it's an unverifiable claim.

Nice to meet you. You obviously haven't seen my prior posts on this board. I use all books, all the time, with the occasional exception of Incarnum.

The claim that such builds are "secret" and that if you don't already know about them you aren't going to enlighten people is a dubious debate tactic and people justifiably called you on it.

Finally you generate an entire new thread to repeat your claims without providing any proof other than a "well poster x and poster y have admitted it can be done" thus it can be done. You actually expect people to view such a statement favorably?

What do you think I am aiming at? Victory of some sort? Is this a debate with points being scored and medals on the line? I just want awareness of the issue to increase. View it favorably or unfavorably as you like - some small portion of the readers of this thread will sit down and attempt it, and they will become better at powergaming.

If I deride anything, it's that people would ignore the facts and twist the truth just to win an argument.

Thanks for responding and helping my cause! :D

moritheil

First Post
pogre said:
and this thread is why the Rules Forum has its reputation.

I open it expecting someone to show me their build to make an incredible AC character, instead I get snarky comments about rules knowledge from the OP. :confused:

Silly, just silly.

You seem to be misunderstanding - I've already shown it. It's in the other thread.

That fact aside, do I owe you something? My only point is that it can be done and I want to raise awareness of that fact. You seem to accuse me of looking for the fawning adoration of the masses.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads