Accessories Usage

jester47

First Post
I find that Campaign and Generic accessories seem to cause me to exclude the material of one type or another. Does anyone else find this to be true?

Here is an example when I use say a Necromancer Games Module in my FR campaign, it seems that I do not use the accessories I bought for FR at all. And to use the accessories I bought for FR, I basicly have to write the adventure.

Aaron.

Psion

Adventurer
jester47 said:
I find that Campaign and Generic accessories seem to cause me to exclude the material of one type or another. Does anyone else find this to be true?

Depends on what specifically you are thinking of. For example, I see no problem using Requiem for a God in FR.

Here is an example when I use say a Necromancer Games Module in my FR campaign, it seems that I do not use the accessories I bought for FR at all. And to use the accessories I bought for FR, I basicly have to write the adventure.

Well, sort of by definition. If the publisher is expected to define the opposition, then you don't have a place to.

But then, this is not always true, if you are the sort that adapts adventures and the like. For example, I had to scale up City of the Spider Queen for my epic level characters; I used Plot & Poison and Fiend Folio to do so.

jester47

First Post
I guess what I mean is that its hard to use the stuff in Serpent Kingdoms in Tomb of Abysthor. Which I guess goes without saying. But I find when I don't use a module or somthing, say I use Serpent Kingdoms and Unapproachable East, I tend not to use things like Tome of Horrors 2.

I guess my question is then- if you run adventures, why would you ever need supplements? It seems that there is a dichotomy between using supplements and adventures as adventures have everything you need to run a game. So why use a supplement? (I mean the answer is obvious in that there might be a point where you run out of adventures, but...) Still its an interesting phonomenon. It seems if you want to use a supplement you are stuck either modifying or building somthing new.

Aaron.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Eh just because a module is good overall doesn't mean it doesn't need tweaks here and there for your own entertainment AND to keep those nosy Meta using Players guessing. :)

Crothian

First Post
I find this odd. When I use a module I usually take out the creatures that don't fit to put in creatures that do, most of those creatures coming from the setting MM. If I am using the module and placing into a place like the Serpeant Kingdoms, then I'd use info from that book to make the background of the module fit and complete any NPCs

jester47

First Post
Well, basicly being a DM short of time, I have little time to modify or create stuff from the collection of sourcebooks. So it seems to me that I never really use sourcebooks. Yet I love reading them and collecting them. Go figure. I was just owondering if anyone else had such an experience. I would love to modify adventures to an extent that they made more sense in the greater context of setting, but that becomes hard when you don't have much time.

Aaron.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I have been getting a lot of use out of AEG DM Toolbox, other source material I seem to use haphazardly. Modules have not been fitting into my games for some time.

diaglo

Adventurer
i've always adjusted purchased modules to fit the campaign. so i guess i can't help much.

same with accessories. always adjusted them to fit the campaign.

and since they don't produce stuff for the edition i use i really have to do some tweaking to make it fit.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, one odd thing, "say I use Serpent Kingdoms and Unapproachable East, I tend not to use things like Tome of Horrors 2." Uh, it's a monster book man. I'm pretty sure that ToH2 has those weird Ophilians in it right, fairly snake like? Perfect servants for the Yuan Ti. Heck, maybe the mages in Thay have opened a portal to a new demi-plane by using some odd shaped black box and their pain will be legendary even in hell?

Voadam

Legend
jester47 said:
I guess my question is then- if you run adventures, why would you ever need supplements? It seems that there is a dichotomy between using supplements and adventures as adventures have everything you need to run a game. So why use a supplement? (I mean the answer is obvious in that there might be a point where you run out of adventures, but...) Still its an interesting phonomenon. It seems if you want to use a supplement you are stuck either modifying or building somthing new.

Aaron.

Because when you modify adventures to fit your campaign that's when the sourcebooks get pulled out and you use whatever you are most comfortable with and what makes the best fit for your campaign.

For instance in Lord of the Iron Fortress, there is a
duergar monk bodyguard. I didn't want her to be a monk so I redid her as an unholy warrior from the book of fiends because that fit with the devil support themes. I also threw in the forge devils from there because they fit thematically. There is a half dragon fighter cleric who was switched with a monster race from Monsters of Norrath and a divine warlord prc from Librum Equitis. I dropped the blue dragon patrols and looked through my books for an appropriate CR 10, 14, & 15 LE flying creatures to take their place for campaign reasons.

So I used multiple books to help customize the module for the campaign I was running.

Remove ads