D&D General Accursed Tower: Map Problems

Yenrak

Explorer
Has anyone tried to play through the Accursed Tower?

It is a 1999 Forgotten Realms adventure by R.A. Salvatore & the Seven Swords. I bought a pdf from DMSGuild.

The thing I'm struggling with is the maps, which don't seem to work. I can't see doors connecting the tower the players enter through to the rest of the complex after sublevel 3. And the stairs in the tower don't seem to make sense.

Any thought?

Yenrak

Explorer
It is even worse than I initially thought.

Sub Level 5 is actually the "first floor" of the old fortress. There's no way into the tower there or any other way "up" to the second level (called Sub Level 4). Clearly a door or passage to the western tower has been omitted. It looks to me like room 20 was supposed to connect to the unnumbered passageway on Sublevel 5 but somehow that got replaced by bricks.

Yenrak

Explorer
Actually, I think the scale of the map is more like 2 1/2 feet per square, which is bonkers. The map doesn't give a scale but judging from the text, that's what it appears to amount to.

The fallen tower is actually quite interesting. You have to hoist yourself up onto a curved passageway in the ceiling to get from the "bottom level" to the "second level. A five foot wide passageway with ten-foot ceilings becomes a 10-foot wide passage with 5-foot ceilings when tipped on its side. You have to scale up a passageway to get to the next set of stairs. Like I said, it's very interesting.

Shame the map is so bad.

Yenrak

Explorer
I decided, in order to figure out how the tower should work, to actually build it out of cardboard.

You can't see much of the interior but I'll post that later. It's not exactly fine miniature art but it's all to scale and I actually made the fallen tower work properly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 12.22.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 12.22.09 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 268

Remove ads