Level Up (A5E) Actions in Combat

Xaielao

Explorer
Speaking of Opportunity Attacks, looking at the section under "Grapple", specifically "Freeing a Grappled Creature": would moving a friendly 5 feet away from the enemy that grappled it allow it an OA that could simply re-grapple it?
I'd say no Scrumpet, based solely on this line... "Additionally, you may move the freed creature 5 ft. in any direction."

That makes it Forced Movement, which is not subject to Opportunity Attacks. It's nice to see allied forced movement. It's got quite a lot of potential, so it's unfortunate we haven't really seen it in O5E.

I really like how the Combat Actions have been reworked. Press the Attack and Fall Back will make for some interesting back and forth maneuvering. I like that you can avoid it with a reaction but you still get a benefit from using an action to Press the Attack thanks to an Opportunity Attack. The new Shove is quite potent, and thematic. No save when pushing an enemy over a ledge is nasty and my players will love it.. until I use it against them muahaha. ;)

Stalker0

Legend
You're trading several attacks with advantage with being pushed 5 ft and taking one extra attack (OA).
It can be a good choice, but it's probably very circumstantial. Maybe we can call it depth :)
So just out of curiosity I looked at what the Marilith would do with advantage vs giving it the OA and losing advantage (I also used the double damage crit rule of LU)

The marilith generally does about ~20 more DPR against your usual AC ranges if allowed to have advantage.

Aka yes against a marilith, you will take less damage if you choose to take the OA. Below is a chart with the numbers for those who care.

ACDmg (OA + Advantage)Dmg (advantage)
21​
56​
73.935​
20​
59.8​
78.8175​
19​
63.6​
83.235​
18​
67.4​
87.1875​
17​
71.2​
90.675​
16​
75​
93.6975​

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So just out of curiosity I looked at what the Marilith would do with advantage vs giving it the OA and losing advantage (I also used the double damage crit rule of LU)

The marilith generally does about ~20 more DPR against your usual AC ranges if allowed to have advantage.

Aka yes against a marilith, you will take less damage if you choose to take the OA. Below is a chart with the numbers for those who care.

ACDmg (OA + Advantage)Dmg (advantage)
21​
56​
73.935​
20​
59.8​
78.8175​
19​
63.6​
83.235​
18​
67.4​
87.1875​
17​
71.2​
90.675​
16​
75​
93.6975​
That's a great example . Press the attack takes the marilith from scary to horrifying lol :D

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
See? This is why I like fall back. It’s one of those that’s not great at low levels but gets better as the monsters get more attacks!
Even better... I pity the fool who does press the attack against the marilith & gives it all those advantage attacks or makes an OA against an adjacent marilith ally using the reaction they can no longer use to scream "fallback! in terror.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm so glad they took out the fourth Off Your Turn item:

4. Pull out your smart phone and start scrolling. Because hey, the game really does revolve around just you.

I guess you can always declare the damage to be non lethal. . .
All damage is non-lethal if your opponent gets three death saves after hitting zero. Does O5E extend this courtesy to monsters, by any chance?

Stalker0

Legend
See? This is why I like fall back. It’s one of those that’s not great at low levels but gets better as the monsters get more attacks!
So we can normalize this to a more general scenario.

Scenario: Assume that a creature has X number of attacks, where all attacks at the same to hit (which is +9 for this example) and damage. We will also assume crits are double damage and only occur on a 20. In that case, when does falling back result in more or less damage?

Attacks
AC
1​
2​
3​
4​
21​
21%​
-6%​
-19%​
-27%​
20​
23%​
-3%​
-16%​
-23%​
19​
25%​
1%​
-12%​
-19%​
18​
28%​
4%​
-8%​
-15%​
17​
30%​
7%​
-4%​
-11%​
16​
33%​
10%​
-1%​
-7%​

In this chart, a positive % indicates that a character using fall-back will take more damage on average than if they had accepted the advantage. A negative % means that fall-back actually reduced the damage.

So in general:

1) With 1 attack monsters, you shouldn't not use fall back unless there are other circumstances going on.
2) With 2-3 attack monsters, its debatable. It depends on your AC and their attack bonus. Considering you also get disadvantage on your attacks and it costs your reaction, probably not worth it in many cases but could be in some others.
3) At 4+, fall back becomes more favorable and generally will save you a good bit of damage.

Honestly, it looks to me like the intent of Fall Back is to not provoke OAs from your attacker. Maybe think of it as "give ground" instead. The opponent is making you choose to either take some nasty attacks, or move where they want you to and have your own attacks penalized. Those are both pretty undesirable conditions. You could also imagine it in reverse. Your opponent is inflicting forced movement on you, Didsadvantage to your attacks and using up your Reaction, but you can instead choose to "Stand Your Ground" as a free action and not take those effects at the cost of granting them Advantage on attacks against you.

It really seems like that's the intended balance. Having you also take an OA from that opponent when you fall back seems too much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases