Level Up (A5E) Actions in Combat

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Isn't there like 500 new magic items? I'm sure that at least one or two modify basic melee damage in some way:)
Oh probably. It's not really about doing more damage, exactly - It's more about the damage being sufficient to be worth tracking. (I also prefer more interesting things in the game that don't require magic to be involved, items or otherwise). It's not a big deal anyway.

ojacid

Villager
Honestly, it looks to me like the intent of Fall Back is to not provoke OAs from your attacker. Maybe think of it as "give ground" instead. The opponent is making you choose to either take some nasty attacks, or move where they want you to and have your own attacks penalized. Those are both pretty undesirable conditions. You could also imagine it in reverse. Your opponent is inflicting forced movement on you, Didsadvantage to your attacks and using up your Reaction, but you can instead choose to "Stand Your Ground" as a free action and not take those effects at the cost of granting them Advantage on attacks against you.

It really seems like that's the intended balance. Having you also take an OA from that opponent when you fall back seems too much.
Agree on OA not being provoked, but I have a follow-up question on Press The Attack/Fall Back

The Fall Back sidebar says "You move backwards 5 feet, your attacker does not gain advantage against you from using Press the Attack, and you have disadvantage on attacks until the end of your next turn." emphasis added

However, attacks against someone using Press The Attack are made with advantage, do the two effectively cancel out and the character Falling Back is actually making a normal attack instead of being at disadvantage as long as they target the one Pressing them?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Agree on OA not being provoked, but I have a follow-up question on Press The Attack/Fall Back

The Fall Back sidebar says "You move backwards 5 feet, your attacker does not gain advantage against you from using Press the Attack, and you have disadvantage on attacks until the end of your next turn." emphasis added

However, attacks against someone using Press The Attack are made with advantage, do the two effectively cancel out and the character Falling Back is actually making a normal attack instead of being at disadvantage as long as they target the one Pressing them?
Advantage and disadvantage work as they always have. You lose ground and get closer to the cliff-edge, and the two of you stay even.

A third attacker joining the fray? That's where that matters.

This rule is all about movement.

I am really looking forward to trying this out soon. And it feels like something that is fully modular - we could just drop this in to an existing o5e game. Might suggest it to my Friday night DM who loves this sort of thing.

edit: we don’t have a barb, so it won’t step on any toes.

Remove ads