D&D (2024) Actions

For jump we could use the possibility to jump as a bonus action : Cunning action and an additional feature for athlete feat. Or simply a feature if you are trained in athletic or acrobatic. But I’m ok with some characters needing an action to jump.

for hiding I got mix feeling.
removing the surprise round is a good thing. Giving advantage on initiative is quite enough.
making hide a fix DC is easier to manage with multiple monsters, and sometime I feel that passive check give more hindrance than good for the game.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
So; does search now find traps?
Does one have to study a trap before attempting to disarm it and does one get any benefit from do in so?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Does one have to study a trap before attempting to disarm it and does one get any benefit from do in so?
Unless this is a notice the noble's face before you walk onto the trap door in the throne room situation it doesn't. to find traps the study action would be needed so you could study the room(or whatever) in order to investigate for anything that jogs your memory as being reminiscent of a trap :D. If those memory jogging things are hidden it raises the DC to find them with the study action.

Players could sacrifice time to reduce the dc to study traps by searching the room for anything hidden but that's a tall task & no guarantee of finding anything because a good trap should be hidden in such a way that it doesn't appear that anything is hidden. Since that could take a long time & be inconclusive at best the players should focus on using the right action for the job they want to do rather than making a lot of noise attracting wandering/random monsters guards etc.

Olrox17

Hero
1- Yes.
2- DM's call. Personally, I wouldn't require a study->investigation check just to disable a pressure plate, or to correctly cut an activation wire. A successful investigation, however, would be required if you want to understand how a complex mechanism actually works, and the potential unintended consequences of messing with it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If Passive Perception is gone, this is a massive buff for Stealth. DC 15 is super-easy to hit for most stealthy characters, especially since most of them will have Expertise now.
I disagree. Most of the monsters in the MM (especially ones meant for Tiers 1 and 2) have Passive Perceptions that are 14 or lower. Which means it was actually easier for stealthy characters to avoid detection against most enemies with the old rules. Setting a DC at 15 regardless of the monster's Passive Perception means it's actually harder for characters to avoid detection, except when facing off against much stronger enemies who would lose out from having a PP over 15. But then again... I also wouldn't be surprised if more powerful monsters gained something in the new rules to compensate for the paradigm, should this DC 15 rule stick.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Unless this is a notice the noble's face before you walk onto the trap door in the throne room situation it doesn't. to find traps the study action would be needed so you could study the room(or whatever) in order to investigate for anything that jogs your memory as being reminiscent of a trap :D. If those memory jogging things are hidden it raises the DC to find them with the study action.

Players could sacrifice time to reduce the dc to study traps by searching the room for anything hidden but that's a tall task & no guarantee of finding anything because a good trap should be hidden in such a way that it doesn't appear that anything is hidden. Since that could take a long time & be inconclusive at best the players should focus on using the right action for the job they want to do rather than making a lot of noise attracting wandering/random monsters guards etc.
Ok a vote for Study
1- Yes.
2- DM's call. Personally, I wouldn't require a study->investigation check just to disable a pressure plate, or to correctly cut an activation wire. A successful investigation, however, would be required if you want to understand how a complex mechanism actually works, and the potential unintended consequences of messing with it.
and a vote against.
Kind of what I expected. Not 100% sure where I fall on this but thanks for the reponses.

Shiroiken

Legend
Overall, not a fan... especially of the vertical leaps.

It's just weird that a Ranger/Rogue/commoner could jump to the top of a 10ft building, but then couldn't do anything else, while taking their time to climb it leaves them with plenty of time for other activities.
It would allow the option of climbing to take an action or jumping to have more movement, but the logic is completely wack.

Remove ads