• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adamantine, arrows and you.

Bryntryst

First Post
Here's a question that is the subject of much debate in the Living Greyhawk Community.

When purchasing adamantine arrows, does the special material cost apply to each arrow or to each lot of 20 or even each lot of 50 (as is the case when enchanting)?

moritheil

First Post
Many people I know of argue that it should apply per lot of 20, as the weapon entry is a lot of 20, and if the cost is individual it becomes prohibitively expensive. Others find wording to state that each individual weapon's cost is involved, and that means each individual arrow.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I always assumed it was per arrow. Because a Adamantine weapon is 3000. +1 applied to arrows gives you 50. 3000/50 = 60gp per arrow. Exactly what it says.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
hafrogman said:
I always assumed it was per arrow. Because a Adamantine weapon is 3000. +1 applied to arrows gives you 50. 3000/50 = 60gp per arrow. Exactly what it says.
That's always what I assumed, for the same reasons.

Venator

First Post
I have no idea why the cost of arrows is so high in general. The ranger, fighter, bard, rogue, scout, whatever is better off just buying an adamantine melee weapon and giving that a shot.

50 arrows doesnt last very long in the lvl 8+ game, so if golems ect. are found in groups or make anything more than rare appearances, it doesnt seem to practical to buy them.

pressedcat

First Post
At the dm's discretion, and given the time, it doesn't seem unreasonable that a higher percentage of the arrows (or at the very least their adamantine tips) would be retrievable after shooting them. This is one option to lessen the overall cost of special material amunition in the long run.

mvincent

Explorer
Yes, the +60 gp cost is per piece of ammunition.

By rules, the arrow is destroyed after hitting a target, but I see nothing wrong with digging out the raw material and using (or selling) it to make more arrows later

frankthedm

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Darn, I thought the question was going to be "Do Admantine arrows break when they hit their target?"
Same here. By the rules the arrow is ruined if it hits and 50%/50% if it misses.

I would personally say an adamantine arrow that is 'ruined' needs a new shaft rather than a new arrowhead unless the arrow is doing over 20 damage on a hit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads