Adapting settings for systems

prosfilaes

Adventurer
You're aware that we are talking about the difference between flavours of D&D, not between reality and D&D?

You did say "using D&D, GURPS, HeroQuest, FATE, 13th Age or whatever you want". I'm pretty sure the leveling in-world of D&D 5 would be noticeable, too; suddenly street thugs can land a fist on adventurers.

Thanks. An adult blue is CR 16 in D&D 5, so that's a bit higher then I would like, but a white is CR 13. It's not hugely different; with a +3 to hit and an AC 18, that's 1 in 4 arrows hitting, and with no DR, that's 1d8+ Str or average 5ish damage per hit, which runs out to 320 arrows for an adult blue. An adult blue is also stupider then the demihumans and humanoids it's fighting, so I'd put more money on the humanoid smart tactics then the dragons.

(A blue would be 1 in 5, and 5 * 85 HP, so 425 arrows.)

If you want to guess further, you can assume the green is CR 15 (Red 17, blue 16, white 13 implies green 15 and black 14), although I'm not sure how the stats would change (don't have the MM yet).

Henrix

Explorer
I think I'll change tactics here:

Given your assumptions it seems evident that you need to change a lot in your setting between D&D5 and PF, seeing that the probabilities for grunts killing a are different. ;)

prosfilaes

Adventurer
If you want to guess further, you can assume the green is CR 15 (Red 17, blue 16, white 13 implies green 15 and black 14), although I'm not sure how the stats would change (don't have the MM yet).

It doesn't really matter; it's a stream of arbitrary monster CR 12ish monsters. It's made me think about how much implicit change I've made to these monsters by making them into unintelligible monsters in this world, which actually does have some effect.

Remove ads