D&D 5E Adding a line to Dual Wielder feat...

Yardiff

Adventurer
Would adding "When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack." to Dual Wielder make the feat OP?

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
It would basically be giving any dual-wielder with a fighting style +1 AC, since it would make the TWF fighting style redundant. Also, this way a champion dual wielder could have the equivalent of 3 fighting styles, so I would skip the change.

Mercule

Adventurer
Yup. As [MENTION=6855956]Plutancatty[/MENTION] said, you're giving a twofer.

I've considered swapping what the feat and the fighting style do, though. Ultimately, I decided it isn't really worth it because the most likely characters to care are going to be those who already have ready access to both.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Would adding "When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack." to Dual Wielder make the feat OP?

To answer your question, no I don't think it would make the Feat OP. But as previously stated, it does mimic the Dual Wield Fighting Style.

What I would *like* to see if the Dual Wielder Feat adding an extra off-hand attack if/when the player gets the ability "Extra Attack".

Yardiff

Adventurer
I see what your all saying. I was just trying to figure a way to let the rogue duel wield and add damage to secondary attack without having to multi-class.

MostlyDm

Explorer
I see what your all saying. I was just trying to figure a way to let the rogue duel wield and add damage to secondary attack without having to multi-class.

That's kind of you, but why is it necessary?

Rogue damage is primarily delivered via sneak attack anyway. The loss is trivial.

Satyrn

First Post

Let me say, then, that your rogue would be fine dual wielding without this feat or that fighting style, and I actually think that he's better off not bothering with either.

He's got plenty of other options to use his bonus action on, so if he hits with his first attack (and uses his sneak attack) he's better off using his cunning action. It's when he misses his first attack that the dual wielding becomes useful as a second chance for a sneak attack.

The extra damage from the fighting style just don't seem significant enough to matter. The nice bit about Dual Wielder feat though is getting to use rapiers instead of shortswords, but that hasn't made me select it yet for my dual wielding character. I'm just not concerned about squeezing out a little bit more damage. I'd prefer some unique benefits -

Oh, maybe let the Dual Wielder feat let the character make 2 opportunity attacks in a round, one with each weapon?

Or a second reaction that is specifically an opportunity attack with the offhand weapon. That would be cool.

Clancey

First Post
I would agree with most everything others have said except in the case of the Swashbuckler. I would like to see the off-hand attack adding the damage bonus because, really, that particular archetype is made for dual wielding and it should be built into that subclass. However, taking two levels of fighter isn't a bad way to really spice up that character. Dual wielding isn't that much of a boost to fighter-types, since once they get two attacks the one bonus attack doesn't help them all that much. Other fighting styles and feats are much more effective throughout every level for them. I am enjoying playing my Tabaxi 3rd level Swashbuckler/1st level fighter though. It is very tempting to go for that Action Surge...

Remove ads