• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

adding class skills

SpikeyFreak

First Post
No, it wouldn't break the game.

It would make rogues slightly less appealing though.

I would let all the classes with 2 or 4 skill points per level add one (or two) and the ones that get more can add two (or three if you let the other classes chose two).

This thread might get a better responce in House Rules.

--Lenient Spikey

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think it should be class dependent. As a general rule clerics, wizards, rogues dont' need a dang thing to help them out . Thougha couple extra class skills isn't that big of a deal. Fighters kinda suck in anything but a hack and slash game since they have no class skills, and no skill points overall boring as heck to me. So they definetly could and should gain some more class skills. As for spot and listen, everyone should have those as class skills IMO, it's especially galling when I see it on the commoners class skill list.

On the other hand there are two good feats for this, one is cosmopolitan which was already mentioned, the other is in kingdoms of kalamar and I forget it's name. It makes a number of cross class skill class skills for aplayer = to their INT bonus, or it makes a number of exclusive skills, corss class skills again = to INT bonus.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Xarlen said:
Y'know, the DMG mentions changing the core classes.

For example, you want to create a street-savy fighter who doesn't use a shield, or heavy armor? Yes, he could be a rogue, but what about a street tough? A professional?

He could be a Ranger. He's just not too good with people (and if you want him to be, just add a single level of Rogue).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've taken all skills and regrouped them as
Basic - cost 1/rank
Expert - cost 2/rank (as per crossclass)
Limited - (Class specific)

Anyone can take whatever Basic and Expert Skills they like
The limiting/balancing factor is the number of skill points they get (which remains the same) ie rogues have more points than fighters or scorcerers and thus more skills.

Xarlen

First Post
LostSoul said:

He could be a Ranger. He's just not too good with people (and if you want him to be, just add a single level of Rogue).

The point is to make more use of the fighter, or change the class. Not squirt in others or multi-classes. Yes, and he could do the same if he was a Fighter/Rogue. But Rangers A) Are mainly focused in woods, B) Get divine spells (How do you explain a street thug doing That?), and C) The favored enemy woudln't work if he's city spesific, not many to be against.

photon1966

First Post
In Asgaard e magazine here on EN World there was a really good article about adding skills and deriving skills from prime stats and not INT, for example Fighters used STR mod not INT for prime class skills and 2+INT mod for Professions, knowledges, crafts and broke Perform into a multile skill for each form of performance. It was really good and we use it

alot of fun

Remove ads