• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

adding class skills

KnowTheToe

First Post
Does anyone think it would be unbalancing to allow each class to add 1 or 2 skills of their choice to their character class when first creating a character.

My thought is it will allow some more diversity in characters without unneccessary multiclassing. A fighter who wants to track could take wilderness lore and use a feat for tracking. He does not need any other part of the Rager or Barbarian classes and should not be forced to take multiple levels in them just to be a good tracker.

I do not see weaknesses in this as long at it is equal for all classes, but then again, I am far from a rules monger

anglachel

First Post
I don't think it would be unbalancing for certain classes like Fighter or Wizard who have very restricted lists. To keep it from getting out of hand you could still use the cross class rank limits (1/2 normal) even if buying the ranks didn't cost more.

smetzger

Explorer
What if everyone makes Spot a class skill?
Kinda cuts the legs out from under the Ranger and Rogue.

I suggest using the feat, from FR, I believe that lets you make any cross-class skill a class skill. That way people burn a feat for it.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Re: Re: adding class skills

smetzger said:
What if everyone makes Spot a class skill?
Kinda cuts the legs out from under the Ranger and Rogue.

I suggest using the feat, from FR, I believe that lets you make any cross-class skill a class skill. That way people burn a feat for it.

This is what I mean, if you can spot anything you can be one of 2 classes. That is too limiting. Don't you think if a soldier spends day in and out on patrol, he might get good at spotting things out of the ordinary. Police officers notice a hell of a lot more about other drivers than I do.

A rogue gets so many skill points and a wide varity of skills, you can take that class in many directions. With most other classes you either have too few skill points or too few skills to choose from to create variety of sill supported character concepts. A fighter can only be different thru feats, by 15th lvl many fighters will have the same feats, why not offer diversity thru skills.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I would not allow it to be done for "free." FR has the Cosmopolitan regional feat that gives you a +2 bonus to a non-exclusive skill and it is always considered a class skill for your character. So I would probably make him take this feat and create a plausible story to justify it in the game.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Do you really think adding a skill of choice for each class would be unbalancing to the game? It is something that would be equal to each class.

IMO converting a cross class to a class skill is not worth a feat, unless it is a fighter. The power of feats are much greater than a skill used to flesh out an individualistic even if it were listen or spot.

With all of the third party and expansion feats, skills and classes out there, would a change like this really effect balance? I am asking because I am a rules light player/DM and don't know if it would hurt the playabilty of the game.

Xarlen

First Post
Y'know, the DMG mentions changing the core classes.

For example, you want to create a street-savy fighter who doesn't use a shield, or heavy armor? Yes, he could be a rogue, but what about a street tough? A professional? Thus, taking the heavy armor ability and shields off, and allowing a little diversity through skills (Intimidate, Sense Motive), I don't think this will break the game.

The fighter still gets 2+int skill points. 3+int if he's human. The rogue gets 8+int. I still think the rogue is on top, even if a fighter could have Some of his skills.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Even in the PHB there is a section on customizing classes. I think that things are pretty well balanced and nothing should be gained without someting being lost. If you want your Fighter to have Wilderness Lore then discuss with your DM and perhaps choose something else you don't need, like a skill or two you are willing to give up in trade.

Simply adding new skills to a class though is a bad habit to get into in my opinion.

Chun-tzu

First Post
I'd say that expanding the skill selection for all classes would be fine, as far as house rules go. It helps for small parties of low-level characters. It won't break the game, but it does up the power level a bit.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Xarlen said:
Y'know, the DMG mentions changing the core classes.

For example, you want to create a street-savy fighter who doesn't use a shield, or heavy armor? Yes, he could be a rogue, but what about a street tough? A professional? Thus, taking the heavy armor ability and shields off, and allowing a little diversity through skills (Intimidate, Sense Motive), I don't think this will break the game.

The fighter still gets 2+int skill points. 3+int if he's human. The rogue gets 8+int. I still think the rogue is on top, even if a fighter could have Some of his skills.

I forgot about this option. It would work well enough trading a feat or core skills depending on the new skill/s requested. I just get frustrated with class skills on all of the classes except for the rogue. The rogue gets twice the amount of skill points which will make up for adding a little diversity in the other classes as you mentioned.

Remove ads