D&D 5E Additional Races! (June 7)

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The half-orc getting a +2 to strength is the first time D&D next has ever gotten an ability score adjustment right. Half orcs are now properly a full ability modifier stronger than, well not humans, but the other races. It's a meaningful difference.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The half-orc getting a +2 to strength is the first time D&D next has ever gotten an ability score adjustment right. Half orcs are now properly a full ability modifier stronger than, well not humans, but the other races. It's a meaningful difference.

I agree -- but the difference won't last long, especially if feats are the same as +1 to a stat, and there's a cap at 20. The advantage for half-orcs will prove quite short-lived, I think.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Could you imagine the outcry if all small races were just given a flat -5 to strength (as is probably right)?

:p

Squidmaster

First Post
I disagree with some of you guys about the ability scores. The problem with giving races +2 bonuses is that it pigeon holes them too much. If you want to play a powerful character, you're almost required to take one of the races that gets a +2 bonus to an appropriate stat (or two.) By making the bonuses +1, it's a lot less painful to play that halfling fighter or whatever.

I don't mind races getting a -1 to a stat, though, and, like many of you, I can't stand that humans get bonuses to all statistics. The only reason that the half orc is getting a plus to strength in this latest packet is because of the human bonuses. Ridiculous.

I love the gnome, and agree that the forest gnome is probably the best polished. The idea behind the rock gnome is solid, but the execution may not be there yet. I do like the advantages they get on certain checks. That makes a lot of sense and could be useful as well.

The half elf stinks.

S

Sunseeker

Adventurers are always the exception, I really don't see why we have fixed modifiers at all. The 6-stat array is too limited to correctly represent different races. The differences between one race or another should be skills and special abilities. That way you can play your dwarf not because he's got the right stats for X class, but because he's got this really cool thing he does when underground, or your elf not because it's the ideal wizard...but because he's got a special feature that lets you do something nifty.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Is it just me, or is the Half-Elf way worse than the Elf in every way?

It isn't just you. The only advantage half-elves have is being able to choose one of their stat bonuses, but that doesn't even begin to make up for the loss of charm/sleep immunity, elven weapon proficiencies, trance, and either a cantrip and extra language or fleet of foot and mask of the wild.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I really like gnomes. Their abilities are all thematic and useful. The tinker ability could stand to be a bit more useful, but it's at least fun and interesting.

I do have an issue with gnome illusionists though. Illusionists know one illusion cantrip plus two others, but forest gnomes already know the only illusion cantrip - minor illusion. The detect illusions ability is also a lot less useful for gnomes, since they get advantage on all int/wis/cha saves against magic already, and two instances of advantage don't stack.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Gnome: The Gnome is looking good, with rock and forest subraces. I think Gnome Cunning is overpowered with advantage on half your stats againt magic though, and think it’d be better if it only had advatange on save against illusion spells instead. Ability Score Adjustment feels right to me with +1 INT and +1 DEX or CON. I like the Forest Gnome's Natural Illusionist and Speak With Small Beasts and think affinity with both illusions and small animals is a common traits to Gnomes. Rock Gnome's Artificer's Lore and Tinker are very thematic to the Tinker Gnome recognizing and building devices and has great releplaying use i find.

Half-Elf: The Half-Elf feels like its inferior to the Elf
, while offering more interesting abilities than Human. I like its Ability Score Adjustment of +1 CHA and +1 ANY, it shows some flexibility and adaptation of which Half-Elves are reknown for. Keen Senses and Fey Ancestry kinda make sense as Elven heritages and i like that its less powerful than the Elf feature Free Spirit. Free bonus Language is okay but i feel like its still missing something compared to other Races.

Half-Orc
: Its a debut but i think the Half-Orc feels a little bland and incomplete though. I like its Ability Score Adjustment of +2 STR and +1 CON, showing the strong and sturdy Orcish blood. Darkvision make sense and Menacing surly help reinforce the intimidating aspect of Half-Orc quite well. But i feel its missing features compared to other Races and perhaps it could get something akin to the Orc's Relentless trait to show more of the Orc grittyness heritage. Or something like the Action Surge trait Half-Orcs and Humans have in Against The Slavelord Bestiary would be great for both Races!

Remove ads