Dragonlance Adept of the Red Robes...is it overpowered?

GreyLord

Legend
So, going over the Dragonlance Book I saw this feat. If taken by a Fighter or a Rogue with Finesse weapons, in theory, once they get a 20 in their primary stat they could be guaranteed a minimum of 16 anytime they attack or do a skill test with that ability score.

It gives a minimum of 10 as a roll if they roll a 9 or under. At higher levels this means a Fighter would automatically get a 21 rolled if they max out their Attack ability score. The same with a Rogue.

Worse, with a Rogue with expertise it would mean that the minimum they could ever roll with a Dex dependent skill (saying the Rogue focused on getting a 20 in DEX) would be a 27.

This seems like it is even stronger than the Battlemaster...but it's basically unlimited or am I seeing something wrong on this?

I know it is meant for Wizards and spellcasters, but it almost seems like it would be worth it for a more martial class to take the feat just for this ability.

ECMO3

Hero
So, going over the Dragonlance Book I saw this feat. If taken by a Fighter or a Rogue with Finesse weapons, in theory, once they get a 20 in their primary stat they could be guaranteed a minimum of 16 anytime they attack or do a skill test with that ability score.

It gives a minimum of 10 as a roll if they roll a 9 or under. At higher levels this means a Fighter would automatically get a 21 rolled if they max out their Attack ability score. The same with a Rogue.

Worse, with a Rogue with expertise it would mean that the minimum they could ever roll with a Dex dependent skill (saying the Rogue focused on getting a 20 in DEX) would be a 27.

This seems like it is even stronger than the Battlemaster...but it's basically unlimited or am I seeing something wrong on this?

I know it is meant for Wizards and spellcasters, but it almost seems like it would be worth it for a more martial class to take the feat just for this ability.
I don't think so.

I think counterspell is the most powerful use of this ability. With a 20 in your casting stat, this lets you automatically counterspell anything up to 5th level on a 3rd level slot. With abjuration Wizard at 10th level you can counterspell any spell period on a 3rd level slot.

It is also pretty awesome for maintaining concentration, with a 10 constitution this means you can automatically save against any attack that does less than 20 damage.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, going over the Dragonlance Book I saw this feat. If taken by a Fighter or a Rogue with Finesse weapons, in theory,

That Rogue or Fighter must also be multiclassed as a Wizard or Sorcerer, and have the Mage of High Sorcery background and the Initiate of High Sorcery feat. With that many prerequisites cutting into their being Fighter or Rogues, I don't expect it becomes abusive.

Remathilis

Legend
Compared to the other two robe feats, it's kind of in the middle. Black robes can burn hd for extra damage (and is much better if you have a higher hd) while white robes get damage mitigation at the cost of a spell slot, making it only useful for pure casters. Red does get the best spell choice though (if you can't find a good 2nd level illusion or transmutation spell, I feel sorry for you).

Overall it's fine.

That Rogue or Fighter must also be multiclassed as a Wizard or Sorcerer, and have the Mage of High Sorcery background and the Initiate of High Sorcery feat. With that many prerequisites cutting into their being Fighter or Rogues, I don't expect it becomes abusive.
I don't think this is absolutely the case. In a Dragonlance game you don't need to be a wizard or sorcerer to select the Wizard of High Sorcerery background, and get the initiate feat for free. In which case you qualify for the Adept feat at level 4.

It's only if you don't select the background that you need to be a wizard or sorcerer to meat the perquisites.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think this is absolutely the case. In a Dragonlance game you don't need to be a wizard or sorcerer to select the Wizard of High Sorcerery background, and get the initiate feat for free. In which case you qualify for the Adept feat at level 4.

Hm. Yeah, you're correct. I read an "or" as an "and". My apologies. The multiclassing is not necessary.

It's only if you don't select the background that you need to be a wizard or sorcerer to meat the perquisites.

When I was reading Lord of the Rings to my wife, we got to the death of Denethor, Steward of Minas Tirith, and the phrase used is... "....meet was his demise," meaning that his death was fitting.

And my wife started cracking up, and I had to wait for her to stop laughing to explain what was so funny...

GreyLord

Legend

Not how I read it. the requirement says 4th level, initiate of High Sorcery (Lunitari) feat.

Initiate of High Sorcery Feat only requires one of the following to be filled (Sorcerer OR Wizard Class OR Mage of High Sorcery Background).

You don't need to be multiclassed to take it. The only prerequisite for the Mage of High Sorcery Background is to be part of a Dragonlance Campaign setting adventure.

The reason I am asking is I had a player when we were setting up our characters who took Variant Human as their race and then proceeded to take two feats, one as per the book and one because they were a variant Human. They took the Squire of Solamnia Feat (because they are a fighter) and the Mage of High Sorcery Background. They plan on becoming an Eldritch Knight and taking the Adept of the Red Robes Feat at 4th.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Not how I read it. the requirement says 4th level, initiate of High Sorcery (Lunitari) feat.

Initiate of High Sorcery Feat only requires one of the following to be filled (Sorcerer OR Wizard Class OR Mage of High Sorcery Background).

You don't need to be multiclassed to take it. The only prerequisite for the Mage of High Sorcery Background is to be part of a Dragonlance Campaign setting adventure.

The reason I am asking is I had a player when we were setting up our characters who took Variant Human as their race and then proceeded to take two feats, one as per the book and one because they were a variant Human. They took the Squire of Solamnia Feat (because they are a fighter) and the Mage of High Sorcery Background. They plan on becoming an Eldritch Knight and taking the Adept of the Red Robes Feat at 4th.
Woah, deja-vu. I could have sworn you were writing about 3.5E there for a bit.

Remove ads