• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advanced Fighting Fantasy ideas for SciFi

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Folks

I just received a copy of Advanced Fighting Fantasy as a gift, and impressed how the system is easy and fast. Due to that latter, is there a version or module that uses the rules for a SciFi setting or has anyone retooled the mechanics to work in a future/scifi setting?

Thanks.
JJ

Technomancer

First Post
Folks

I just received a copy of Advanced Fighting Fantasy as a gift, and impressed how the system is easy and fast. Due to that latter, is there a version or module that uses the rules for a SciFi setting or has anyone retooled the mechanics to work in a future/scifi setting?

Thanks.
JJ

Not as far as the actual RPG, but several of the gamebooks on which the RPG is based were sci-fi. A few you might check out:

Starship Traveler (my favorite of the sci-fi books)
Space Assassin (this one was kind of goofy but could be mined for ideas)
The Rings of Kether (outer space drug dealers!)
Robot Commando (robots and space dinosaurs!)
Rebel Planet (haven't read this one...)
Star Strider (...or this one)

You'll probably have to scour used book stores or else hunt them down on Amazon or ebay.

EDIT-All are available dirt cheap on Amazon, except (oddly enough) Space Assassin (it's there, just not cheap)

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
[MENTION=39901]Technomancer[/MENTION] ::
Thanks... I was thinking about using the AFF mechanics for a 'quick and dirty' system, so my group can focus on role playing - oppose to number chrunching. In addition, we are getting a little bored with the D20 dice rolls of AD&D 2nd edition.

Looking over the damage matrix for weapons and armor - can anyone offer suggestions on out to create my own? It looks random, but I am worried that if I create me own table for weapon damage - how would I generate a compatible armor defence/deflection dice matrix?

Thank you.

Technomancer

First Post
In case I wasn't clear, my reason for bringing up the gamebooks is that they use the same basic rules as the RPG (although the RPG is expanded/more robust), and many of the gamebooks had additional genre-specific rules that could possibly be incorporated into the tabletop RPG.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
In case I wasn't clear, my reason for bringing up the gamebooks is that they use the same basic rules as the RPG (although the RPG is expanded/more robust), and many of the gamebooks had additional genre-specific rules that could possibly be incorporated into the tabletop RPG.

Thanks so much - I understand now...much appreciated.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
What are some good bonuses and penalties to apply to the dice for events? For example: AD&D 2nd ed runes on a (+/-2, +/-4, +/-6, ~ +/-10). However, since the dice mechanics in AFF is 2d6+skill+special skill, I am not sure what a good difficulty or benefit modify should be.

Thanks.

bottg

First Post
What are some good bonuses and penalties to apply to the dice for events? For example: AD&D 2nd ed runes on a (+/-2, +/-4, +/-6, ~ +/-10). However, since the dice mechanics in AFF is 2d6+skill+special skill, I am not sure what a good difficulty or benefit modify should be.

Thanks.

Because of the 2D6 curve, even a +1 can have a profound effect. There are some good stats pages out there that i can't link to but if you search for 2D6 curve probabilities, the Dark fortress is useful...

You can see that if you would normally need to roll a 7 or more (58% chance of success) but get an additional +1, your chance increases to 72%. A +2 bonus would see you succeed 83% of the time. So most modifiers will be in the +1 to +3 range, with +4 or more being a huge bonus. The reverse applies to penalties.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Because of the 2D6 curve, even a +1 can have a profound effect. There are some good stats pages out there that i can't link to but if you search for 2D6 curve probabilities, the Dark fortress is useful...

You can see that if you would normally need to roll a 7 or more (58% chance of success) but get an additional +1, your chance increases to 72%. A +2 bonus would see you succeed 83% of the time. So most modifiers will be in the +1 to +3 range, with +4 or more being a huge bonus. The reverse applies to penalties.

I see what you mean... I am coming from AD&D, and just starting AFF, so it is taking a while to understand the modifiers.

Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads