Level Up (A5E) Advanced Journeys &Exploration Challenges

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fair enough. Just not a design thrust I favor, and I hope it isn't used instead of more simulationist rules in future products.
It’s just an article, dude.

Guys, if you’re not interested in it, please find a thread which does interest you so that those of us who are interested can work on it. In exchange I promise to continue not coming into your threads and declaring my disinterest! :)

Zaukrie

New Publisher

Guys, if you’re not interested in it, please find a thread which does interest you so that those of us who are interested can work on it. In exchange I promise to continue not coming into your threads and declaring my disinterest! :)
Dreamer. I like the direction, but this is a tough but to crack. Looking forward to watching you update this, partly to watch your process.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm not sure I like the whole "you can never carry more than STR Supply (even if you use encumbrance)" combined with the "equipment costs gp/5 Supply".
If you need one pricey item (which you can't buy with gold since "you do not use the gold value of mundane gear any more") you suddenly have "lost" food for a week.

This keeps the average wizards (with a STR from 8-10) from ever getting a reserve of food if they ever want to use some costly item.
I agree here, although maybe Morrus is assuming everyone uses pack animals, carts, or henchfolk to carry things?

...I forget (and can't seem to find an exact answer) if being able to lift more, like Orcs can, also means you can lift more Supply. If yes, that would help to alleviate some of the issues here. So even if the wizard is a scrawny human or elf, the orc in the party can help to make up for their lack. If no, then if you use this new Supply rule, the orc could.

Also because you only pay 1 gp per Supply (but get a worth of 5gp per 1 Supply spent) you have even less need for money (as you can only spend it for weapons/armor/tools/magic items/mounts/vehicles)
Also daily expenses. If the party decides to stay at an inn, they're still going to have to pay for their food and lodging. There's also bribes, tolls, crafting expenses, and a few other things like that.

I would imagine that you can still buy specific items--or at least, that's what I would do--and those items stay items. So if you really wanted a crowbar, you could buy a crowbar. I would also say you couldn't turn Supply into personalized items. For instance, in the D&D game I'm in, we have spent part of a session clothes shopping (there was a high-class Event), and we all got clothing, jewelry, and masks that fit our personalities. I wouldn't let Supply create anything that wasn't completely generic.

Anyway, this might be a reason to give smaller cash rewards. Monsters don't have to have hoards of hundreds or thousands of gp but instead could have more stuff. Including more Supply.

So here's a few things I would suggest, @Morrus:

Supply is disposable. If you make a crowbar, it lasts the scene. If you make a tent, it lasts the night. It doesn't poof out of existence after that, but becomes damaged, and you have to spend some time maintaining it if you want to use it again. Bought equipment doesn't do that, unless you deliberately buy cheap junk.

You can't later sell or trade Supply, except possibly at an incredibly reduced price (1 cp, maybe).

Supply can't be used to make any sort of material component, including components that don't have a cost. If you lost your spellcasting focus, you're outta luck.

You can't use Supply to create anything worth more than, say, 10 or 20 gp--this is in addition to the 1 Supply/5 gp. You could use multiple Supply to make a more expensive item, though, just like you could use multiple Supply to make a heavier item. So you couldn't turn one Supply into a spyglass.

You could also say that Supply can't be used to make anything with multiple moving parts anyway, since it's hard to imagine using Supply to make a spyglass in the first place.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Supply specifically as consumables (food, water, maybe fuel) is an acceptable level of abstraction for me, but I really don't want anything else included.
I'm for whatever gets the boring bits out of the game.

Waiting while players go over the book's equipment lists again and again in order to make sure they haven't missed out on something they may never use? Boring.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm for whatever gets the boring bits out of the game.

Waiting while players go over the book's equipment lists again and again in order to make sure they haven't missed out on something they may never use? Boring.
You and I have different opinions on what constitutes, "boring". Taking out stuff you consider boring would hurt the game for me and my players.

xiphumor

Legend

I apologize if that was how I came across. I began commenting with the assumption that you were looking for feedback for how to solve the problem of Supply not being important enough, and simply wanted to convey that I thought there were better solutions and why I was dissatisfied with yours. I now see that your primary thrust is about simplifying the game on the whole, at least in one area, which I can respect as a difference in philosophy even if I disagree with it.

A way to regain Supply in any form, be it through scavenging, Critical Successes, or feats, will remove the Supply Tax problem. I really enjoy this method of Exploration Challenges. It is sleek and really could be its own game entirely. Good job, Morrus!

Faolyn

(she/her)
A way to regain Supply in any form, be it through scavenging, Critical Successes, or feats, will remove the Supply Tax problem. I really enjoy this method of Exploration Challenges. It is sleek and really could be its own game entirely. Good job, Morrus!
There are several ways, but most of them seem to only grant one or two Supply at most. The Hunting and Gathering journey activity gain at most 2/day spent on the activity, which means that at best, you're going to break even. And that's without using Supply for anything other than food. So I think that, 5-10 years from now when LU 2e is put out, the journey activities will need to be revisited a bit.

Realistically, a deer has about 50 pounds of usable meat on it. Even assuming no magical means of preserving the meat, a ranger or someone with a suitably hunter-esque culture or background should be able to turn that into a lot of Supply--but not by RAW. Sure, you could say that you may be hunting for several days but only bag one deer. OK, sure. But your PCs have also killed monsters that should be perfectly edible, and there's a lot more meat on an owlbear than there is on a deer. And there's only so many times you can say "no, you can't butcher that monster, it's toxic" before it starts seeming either silly (owls and bears are both edible, so owlbears should be as well) or like you're actively trying to keep PCs from getting food.

Thinking about it, it might help to divide Supply into two forms: Food and Things. They could both cost the same, but you can't turn Things into Food and vice versa. And then add another journey activity--Scrounging--which specifically lets you find more Things Supply.

There are several ways, but most of them seem to only grant one or two Supply at most. The Hunting and Gathering journey activity gain at most 2/day spent on the activity, which means that at best, you're going to break even. And that's without using Supply for anything other than food. So I think that, 5-10 years from now when LU 2e is put out, the journey activities will need to be revisited a bit.

Realistically, a deer has about 50 pounds of usable meat on it. Even assuming no magical means of preserving the meat, a ranger or someone with a suitably hunter-esque culture or background should be able to turn that into a lot of Supply--but not by RAW. Sure, you could say that you may be hunting for several days but only bag one deer. OK, sure. But your PCs have also killed monsters that should be perfectly edible, and there's a lot more meat on an owlbear than there is on a deer. And there's only so many times you can say "no, you can't butcher that monster, it's toxic" before it starts seeming either silly (owls and bears are both edible, so owlbears should be as well) or like you're actively trying to keep PCs from getting food.

Thinking about it, it might help to divide Supply into two forms: Food and Things. They could both cost the same, but you can't turn Things into Food and vice versa. And then add another journey activity--Scrounging--which specifically lets you find more Things Supply.
Personally, I'd just increase how much supply you get back from these ways and that'd be fine enough with me.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You and I have different opinions on what constitutes, "boring". Taking out stuff you consider boring would hurt the game for me and my players.
And keeping it in could very well hurt the game for me and my players by dragging it down, so saying things like this doesn't really help anybody.

(There's also no reason to assume that this would be anything other than an optional rule you could easily ignore.)

Remove ads