(Adventure) A hunting trip

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Moving down the corridor, a torch in hand,Aranel hears the sobs and moans turn desperate and then a faint '...help,please...help...'. Racing forwards, she sees a chamber dim and with a stench almost unbearable. Moving near the back are two forms. An older woman lies upon the ground, unconcious, and a young man lies beside her, trying to shield her, though he looks nearly dead himself. Could this be the wife and other missing son of Farmer Krimp?

Aranel

First Post
Aranel hurried over to them, looking around for anything she may have missed. All the while her rapier drawn she moved closer to them. "I am coming, please, is there anything else here?" She wanted to keep talking to them, to try and get at least the boy to respond, to keep his mind busy so it would not dwell on the current situation.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
The chamber is something like 20 foot by 30 foot, A small den, really. the two humans are in thefar back corner, bound with vines. Nearby is a partially devoured body that is a bit difficult to identify...

About the chamber are several niches, with weapons and other odds and ends sittng in them (a skull caked in dried blood in one case).

Aranel sees obvious treasure about the place as well, a pile of coins here, a well-worked sword there. there are also several wolf pelts, matted with dried blood, perhaps 5 in all.

The man (boy really, he loks to be about 15 years old) says weakly ...I am...JoshuaKrimp and this is my mum...' The youth lapses and falls near blacking out. he looks to have been wounded sorely inhis trials.

OoC: Post away, I need to run to work now, though i can post from there as well. This one is nearly wrapped up. Just gathering loot, seeing to these poor unfortunates and deciding what to do with the baby Ogre.

Aranel

First Post
Treasure! Her eyes lit up, but at the sight of such a young human in such a state she felt compelled to help. Hurrying over she unbound him and his mother, "Come now boy... Open your eyes and speak to me...My name is Aranal, my friends and I have been looking for you. It'll be ok now..." She tried soothing him before calling back. "They are here!" Knowing she was not strong enough to lift either of them all she could do was try to make them more comfortable for the moment.
There was still the baby ogre to worry about...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Katherine gives the Ogre baby a passing glance to see if it appears as mutated as its parents before hurrying with aranel to the rear of the cave. "If it could be raised without evil it's strength could be a mighty aid to the harmed family." she comments.

[ooc: bardic knowlege, any idea if an infant orge could be raised to usefulness? different DMs have different veiws on such things]

While helping Aranel free the two survivors, she says quietly in elven, "If these are well enough, I think a cleansing rain would be more welcome than recovering in this horror pit..." She glances around "Any of this could be the source of whatever curse effected these monsters. We should return in the morning when I've recovered enough to 'see' what we should be wary of." In common she she speaks soothingly to the woman and her son. "Your nightmare is ending, dear ones, we're going to wake to the dawn soon. I want you to trust us and close your eyes so we can lead you out of this place. You do not need to see any more than you already have had to."

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: That's fine Uriel, my plan was pretty much "wait 'til it gets close and smack it". :)

Remi looks from the baby ogre to Telerin
"What do you think, is it free of taint?"

Then, looking to Kat and Aranel for their opinion,
"If it is shown to be free of taint, I propose we leave the future of the infant in the hands of Mrs Krimp as she is the one here who has suffered most at the hands of the beasts. It may have a hard life living here, helping the Krimps rebuild the farm; but it seems only fitting."

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC: Interestig idea,leaving the ogre ifant with Mrs. Krimp. I'm not sure how she'll feel about raising the child of the things than ate her husband...well, parts of his anyways.
Bardic Knowledge: Katherine has heard tell of Beasts such as Ogres being reared by other folk. Several Clans of northern Gypsies are noted for taking in orphans of whatever race, so long as there might be a place for them some day.
It would pose an interesting PC option sometime down the road of LEW, should we last that long. Years, I mean, not the wierd 'warp-time' proposed by some to create items etc... In short, yes, there have been Ogres raised without the Taint of Evil.Odd, i gegerated the treasure without regard to what weapons you folks used etc... things turned out very interesting, indeed.

IC:Looking over the dead female's form, Remi and telerin note several things. The Ogress wears a couple of necklaces as wristbands, the first seems to be gold and silver set with many small opals.
The second looks just like the one that Telerin took from the body of the first Ogre, a leather cord with several red and green beads on either side of a long tooth...

<I assume that someone wraps the Ogreling up in a cloak or perhaps a spare shirt?>

In the Lair, the Companions gather, helping Mrs. Krimp and her son <I made successful Heal rolls for several of you>, managing to avoid harming them any more. Both look bruised and battered, though alive.

The presence of so many wolf pelts makes Whitefang uneasy, and he whines in sympathy with his dead brethren, looking to Telerin to assure him that all is well. Occassionally, he snarls in a low tone before ceasing and pressing up against the Druid.

It seems that these Ogres preyed upon many beside the Krimp's, for there are indeed signs of at least a dozen more folk, judging by the Skulls.

Remi hits upon the thought that the Ogre heads might be worth some coin to the Town Council, or to the merchant's Guild of Orassis at the least.

Gathered from the detritus are the following:

The two necklaces worn by the Ogress. Aranel guesses the worth of the Opal-studded one at perhaps 600 Gold Crowns <GP>.

Some 824 CP,735SP and 756 GP are scattered about in various piles, along with 3 small emeralds worth perhaps a hundred Crowns each.

There is a Masterworked Violin as well as a usable suit of chainmail.

As well there are 2 exquisite weapons,a longsword with platinum leaf on it's guard and a small ruby set into it's pommel, and a slim hand crossbow, crafted of a dark wood and detailed with silver leafwork along it's handle.
Both are obviously Masterworked as well.

Finally, Telerin finds a Hooded Cloak of magnificent make, a dark grey upon one side and a pale green lining on the inside.

<Let me know what you plan to do with the Ogreling and regarding the Krimps then I can wrap it up and grant EXP>

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Seeing a matching 'necklace' on the female ogre and the (presumedly) un mutated form of the baby, Katherine makes the obvious connection.

"Remi, perhaps we should keep the two necklaces safe together until they can be examined. We may have to simply destroy them, but then again they may have been made to some purpose for humaniods that reacted badly with orges..."

Looking at the assorted treasure, katherine seems more sad than anything. "Some very beautiful things to be found in such a ugly place..."

If tellerin does not kill the infant, katherine will wrap it up in her cloak to carry along. She will see if it can be kept alive through the crucial first few days and let the remainder of the Krimp family put their lives somewhat in order before they decide if they can raise the orgeling or not.

Pyrex

First Post
OOC:
Remi really meant it when he mentioned leaving the infant's future in Mrs Krimps hands. He's all for appointing her as Judge, Jury and (if she sees fit) Executioner. However, he's betting that she'll choose to take mercy on it. If she asks us to take it away, Remi will do so. But if she wants it dead, Remi will insist that it's by her hand.

IC:
Remi picks up one of the wolf pelts strewn about the lair and uses it to wrap up the infant ogre then begins herding everyone out of the cave and back towards the farm house.
"Come on, we should get back to the farm house and check on Bron and the other children."

Remove ads