Adventure: A paladin in need (DM:Someone, judge: THB)

Someone

Adventurer
The bugs that infest the corpse make it run as swiftly as it can to it’s hiding place at the bushes. The cover doesn’t last long; half the leaves catch fire, others turn into crystal or sparks as Porphyria’s wild magic hit the plant. It opens the way to Brenwar, whose armored form charges against it. A final comment from Halleck convinces the evil spirit that the battle is lost; hundreds of bugs abandon the dead body and skitter, burrow or fly away before the paladin arrives and crushes what little is left of the corpse.

Unable to feel despair, the remaining undead continue their assault on you.

[sblock=actions]
Brenwar charges the mage and fails to hit. I think you meant you ended in O4, though you can IIRC shift after a charge, so you could be at O3 if you want.

P shifts north, casts Chaos Bolt, fails to hit because of cover.

Tenchuu’s post was a bit confusing; me mentioned doing a Brash Assault but rolled for Vcious Mockery. I went with the latter; Halleck moves and hurls a lethal insult at the bugs, killing them.

Joy moves, shouts very loud, fails to hit.

Minion continues stabbing Brenwar. This time he’s unable to touch his AC, though.

After thinking long about it, wight 1 decides to charge Brenwar. He’s the first to be surprised when he rolls a 19, which nets hitting AC 30. Brenwar suffers 8 damage after resistance and loses his remaining THP and1 HS, and suffers 5 damage.

Wight 2 moves around the rocks and charges P. This one rolls a 1. Oops.

Since nobody can sustain it, the area disappears.
[/sblock]

[sblock=enemies]
Lore: The bug-animated corpse is a rare kind of undead created from the corpse of a mage or warlock after it’s been infested by insects. Though not physically powerful or durable, they can summon clouds of flies to hamper and harass its enemies.
Some of the undead, the undamaged ones, are wights. They can steal your life force with a touch.

Large skeleton: AC 22 FORT ?? REF 19 WILL ??. MBA (Reach 2, threatening reach): +13 VS AC; 2d6+7 damage.

Undead legionaries (minion) : AC ?? FORT ?? REF ?? WILL 18. MBA: +12 vs AC, 7 damage and marks.

Wights: AC 19 FORT ?? REF ?? WILL ?? MBA +10 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage and target loses a healing surge.

Bug mage AC ?? FORT ?? REF ?? WILL 17 MBA +9 vs AC, 1d8+1 damage[/sblock]

[sblock=status]
Brenwar: 5 damage, 2 HS spent, Marked by minion.
Halleck= 23 damage, 3 HS spent
Porphyria: 6 damage, 1 HS spent.
Joy: 14 damage, 2 HS spent
Large skeleton: Dead.
Bug corpse: Dead.
Wight 1: 18 damage.
Wight 2: Fine
Legionary 1: Dead
Legionary 2: Amazed at being still alive
Legionary 3: Dead
Legionary 4: Dead
[/sblock]
[sblock=map]
paladin1-5.jpg

Squares marked with a “D”, as well those with rocks and bushes are difficult terrain. The mound, rocks and bushes are cover.

Tokens highlighted in red are bloodied.
[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
Brenwar grimaces a bit as the wight drains a bit of his life energy. Brenwar then tries to smash at the skeleton that had been hounding him the entire encounter.
[sblock=Combat]
You are right, that was a typo on my part.

Marked by Minion

Minor Action: Divine Challenge the Wight
Move Action: Null
Standard Action: Virtuous Strike vs. Minion (1d20+10=19, 1d10+5=14)

Ongoing Effect: All enemies that start their turn next to Brenwar are divine sanctioned until EONT of the enemy's turn.

[sblock=Stats]
Brenwar – Male Human Paladin 6
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Brenwar_Holyshield_(Rapida)

Initiative: +2, Speed: 5 Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 21

AC: 25 Fort: 18, Reflex: 18, Will: 20, Resist: 1/all

HP: 54/59 (0 THP), Bloodied: 29 , Surge Value: 15, Surges Left: 11/13

Action Points: 0

Feats of Note:

Whenever Brenwar spends a healing surge, he gains 3 resistance to all damage until the start of his next turn.

Whenever Brenwar uses a power that allows an ally to spend a healing surge or regain hit points as if she had spent a healing surge, that ally can use his healing surge value (15 HP) to determine the number of hit points gained.

OA Basic Melee Attack: +10 Virtuous Strike (Vanguard's Hammer) 1d10+5 Damage

Powers At-Will Powers:Divine Challenge, Ardent Strike, Virtuous Strike, Lay on Hands (3/3 Remaining)

Encounter Powers: Valorous Smite, Righteous Smite, Virtue, Channel Divinity, Deliverance of Faith, Swift Recovery, Heroic Effort, Second Wind

Daily Powers: Majestic Halo, Unyielding Faith, Magic Item Daily
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: And sorry for my confusion post. Twice in one day (also for HMG's game). Perhaps I should stop doing the summary text before my action block.

"Joy, Keep at it. Silver, keep strong!"

Halleck moved around the mound to flank the wight facing Brenwar. "Come now, surely I am an easier foe that Sir Brenwar. I'll even lower my shield for you..."

Leaving himself open, Halleck tried the gambit again, his blade just sliding past the creature's defenses.

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]

[sblock=Action Block]
Minor: sustain Canon of Avoidance, Porphyria (+2 to AC)
Move: to M6 (moving around DT, avoiding OA) (+1 to AC/Ref)
Standard: Brash Assault vs Wight1 (targets AC)

• Target: Wight1
  • Attack: 1d20+11=17 +2 CA = 19
  • Damage: 1d8+6=13
  • Effect: Against the target of this exploit, you gain a bonus to defenses equal to your Charisma modifier (+5) until the start of your next turn (due to Feat). The target can make a melee basic attack against you as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack. If the target makes this attack, an ally of your choice within 5 squares of the target can make a basic attack against the target as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack.
[/sblock][sblock=Halleck Stat block]Viscount Ambrose Halleck - Male Half-Elf Hybrid Warlord/Bard 6
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 20

Defenses:

AC: 23, Fort: 17, Reflex: 17, Will: 20 -- Speed: 5 (-1 Pen from armor)

Vitality:
HP: 27/50, THP: 0/8 Bloodied: 25, Surge Value: 12, Surges left: 6/9
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used
Languages:
Common, Elven, Goblin

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +11 vs AC - Harmonic Spellblade Longsword 1d8+6
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: N/A

Properties:
Always On: Resist 2 on Ranged and Area attacks
On Shift: +1 to AC/REF
On Second Wind: If bloodied, you can spend 2 healing surges

Powers:
At-Will:
Brash Assault, Vicious Mockery
Encounter: Righteous Brand, Inspiring Word, Majestic Word, Shout of Triumph, Diabolic Stratagem, Divine Challenge, Battlefront Shift, Boots of the Fencing Master Enc
Daily: Stirring Shout, Stand the Fallen, Heroic Effort, Canon of Avoidance, Dwarven Scale Healing, Harmonic Spellblade Boon,

Weapons:
Harmonic Spellblade Longsword +1

[/sblock][sblock=Halleck's Log]
Adventure Summary

Notes:
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
The Starling ducks behind Joy, away from the wight. She points her dagger again and a crackle of lightning dances just over Halleck's shoulder to singe the wight, barely missing him.

[sblock=actions and ooc]Move: shift to L10
Minor: sustain
Standard: chaos bolt vs. wight 1: 21 vs. will for 17 psychic damage. Odd again; no bounce. I keep meaning to send the bounce after the minion.

I'll be out of touch for most of the weekend. I probably won't be able to post again until Sunday night at the earliest. If my turn comes up again, feel free to NPC me to keep things moving. This fight is mostly in cleanup mode, but here are some ideas:
  • P has a good ranged basic attack, if a free basic attack comes up. Might not be as good as a radiant-based one, though, if someone else has such a thing.
  • I'm looking for an opportunity to use flame spiral. If the wights get one square closer together, that's my plan.
[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
[sblock=Brash Assault Attack]
As the wight reaches forward to attack Halleck, Brenwar lands a vicious blow with his warhammer. The head of the hammer is quickly slammed into the back of the creature's skull radiating holy energy. The wight staggers under the blow as Brenwar says to the wight, "Excuse me sir, I believe I asked you to dance first."
[sblock=Free attack]
Virtuous Strike(Brash Assault) vs. Wight (1d20+10=30, Below)
Critical Damage=Critical Damage (15+1d8=20) (Radiant Damage)
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
OOC:
Can we get the value of the creature's vulnerability once we hit it (similar to how we do the defenses)? That way I can go ahead and summarize my damage output when I hit with a radiant attack.

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Joy continued to dance with the wight, slashing at the creature with her massive curved sword. She had begun to sing as well, a high, nearly wordless keening that rang through the air around her. Once again her swing missed, this time by only the thinnest of margins...

[sblock= OOC]
>Move: none
>Standard: Attack Wight 2 with Demoralizing Strike (vs. AC), 1d20+11= 18 (miss, again); rolls Roll Lookup
>Minor: none

>If anyone needs healing, sing out.
[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
OOC:
Quick note, once this fight is over I can use lay on hands on anyone low on surges. That way we can preserve the surges for use in combat.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: Vulnerability was 5; I think I'll post alldefenses in the future, as it'll make life easier for everyone.

As the last wight turns to attack Halleck, Brenwar crushes and consumes it with the weight of his hammer and divine fire. The remains fall to the ground in a flaming heap. The notion that he's now alone penetrates that last wight's necrotized cranium, and it turns to flee. The last remaining walking corpse, lacking sentience, doesn't stop. brenwar barely manages to block a sword slash, and counterattack with his hammer, hitting the skull so hard that the heal falls hanging to the side. But not even that is enough to stop the monster from moving as it continues attacking until you gang on him and reduce it to small pieces.

You stand victorius on the grisly plateau.

[sblock=actions]I didn't notice when i decided the wight would use the AoO that he was already challenged by brenwar. Not only he falied to hit (rolled 21 vs AC) but took major damage from Brenwar's challenge and then the critical strike. Sorry I didn't notice you were too at range, Covaithe. At least it turned to be the best for you.

The last wight runs south (you can roll an AoO if you want, though I doubt it'll change much) and the minion makes his final attack against Brenwar, which hits AC 24. Not enough. I took the liberty to run another round against it, and this time you manage to finish it.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Joy kicked idly at the remains of the massive skeleton- now that the battle was over, she seemed merely happy and excited rather than completely transported. "I don't suppose we have a way of burning these creatures or something. I would guess they won't stay dead for us any more than they did for those paladins who were here first."

[sblock= OOC]
>I'll be away for most of this weekend. Joy will tag along with the rest of the group. Willing to spend a surge through Ardent Surge if Brenwar wants to conserve Lay On Hands. [/sblock]

Remove ads