• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] A scholar in need (DM:Someone, Judge: Renau1g)

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Again, I'm floored by the post rate! Technically Sound of Stone did 8 damage. I know doesn't matter.... but the power gives +4 damage bonus to the MBA. Just for future reference. :) [/sblock]

Artemis sits down next to the beaten and bruised guard.

"Listen. Friend. Bones here is serious. Help us. No, better yet, help us help you. Who sent you here? Tell us and you get to walk away."

[sblock=diplomacy 19] 1d20+9 → [10,9] = (19). Roll Lookup [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc] Just trying a little bad cop, good cop :) [/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
"Very well, I understand." says the man, coughing up a bit of blood. "I know the drill, we're all professionals. But heh" continues trembling a bit "I'm in a bad spot, so let's cut it short, I'll cooperate. I serve Theotocopolis' Seagull family clan. We arrived recently, led by a mage called Epigenes, on some business I purposefully ignored. The less you know..."

"We were ready to leave, when there was a change of plans. Some hours ago Epigenes ordered us to kidnap this Thogurius guy, and we did. But some moron failed, and he scaped. Epigenes went nuts, and has everyone of us looking for him. He even gave us a ton of money to hire local aid, but you already know that, I see. We found out that he had a friend, so we followed him; when he came out of that tavern with you, we supposed he knew where Thogurus was and hired you to rescue him."

"I told you everything I know. I don't know why this Thorigus is or why is he important." end with a ever weaker voice.

Fyrm

First Post
"Well, that sounds about right. Can someone patch him up? I don't really want him dying after he did as we asked"

Leave that to me. Master's lessons on healing were the best. Now let's see those wounds. still too tired to fully change form, yet bored enough to care, Mercurial changes his hair color again, this time to a dark purple.
OOC: Heal check(1d20+10=25)
Also, incase any of you forgot, I think I'm still in old Dwarf women form. Also, Merc can be convinced to hold of on the actual treatment, and just inpect the wounds, if you guys still think that there is something else to ask first.

orkish_blade

Explorer
Bones pulls the bloody dagger away from the injured man's side. Wipes it on the soldier's shirt, and with a spin and a flourish, tucks it in its small sheath hanging from his belt.

"I'm glad you could be reasonable," he says politely to the wounded soldier. "This Epigenes... where are his usual haunts? Has he been hanging around the Seagull family long?"

Bones turns to Domenicos, "Does any of this mean anything to you? Especially regarding you and your friend's historical research? How clever is Thogorius? Where would he go if he were panicked and hiding from a man-hunt in his honor?"

Bones paces back and forth for a moment, in thought. Epigenes, Seagull... have I heard those names before? Then he addresses the group, "If Epigenes or any of the Seagulll clan is likely nearby, we should go straight to the source... otherwise, let's press on to Thogorius's house and see what clues we can find there. If Epigenes has a legion of these goons out looking for Thogorius, he'll find us eventually -- provided, they don't find Thogorius first."

Bones takes a step back, out of earshot of Domenicos. He looks Domenicos in the eyes and gives him a genial smile as he whispers to one of his companions (whoever is closest), "I don't trust Domenicos, I think he knows more than he lets on."

[sblock=Actions]
Streetwise check: to see if Bones recalls any information about Epigenes or the Seagull family from tavern gossip and thieves' chatter, 1d20 + 6 = 11 (not impressive)[/sblock]

[sblock=Quick Stats]
Bones, level 1 human rogue
hp 29/29, surges 7/7; AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 17, Will 12;
available: easy target (daily), second wind, torturous strike;
expended: action point
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Bones pulls the bloody dagger away from the injured man's side. Wipes it on the soldier's shirt, and with a spin and a flourish, tucks it in its small sheath hanging from his belt.

"I'm glad you could be reasonable," he says politely to the wounded soldier. "This Epigenes... where are his usual haunts? Has he been hanging around the Seagull family long?"

Mercurial does a nice job patching the soldier up (he'll live), and he feebly answers. "He... we had a house... rented, up the good part of the city"

Bones turns to Domenicos, "Does any of this mean anything to you? Especially regarding you and your friend's historical research? How clever is Thogorius? Where would he go if he were panicked and hiding from a man-hunt in his honor?"

Domenicos managed to gather enough courage to come out of his hiding place and answer your question "The Seagull family? I know, I know. I though I mentioned you Thogorius and I are from Theotocopolis. Noble extended families take the name of a sea creature. The seagulls are newcomers, mercenaries that got rich one generation ago with a war against the crab men, which, may sound hilarious to you but I assure it was bloody. explains. "But, oh gods, what did my friend discover that could cause such carnage?" says looking at the corpses littered around. "Of that I have no idea. But we have to find him, wherever he is! If what he knows is so valuable, what could this Epigenes do to him to find out? I don't know where he could be hiding; we have no family here and few friends.

The pursuit, battle and interrogation have taken just a couple minutes, too little for the guard to arrive but Bones knows they will eventually. Violence may happen often in Daunton, but it doesn't mean they take it lightly when deaths happen. At the very least, it'll mean a lot of questions and a considerable delay.

GM: I'd like to know your general course of action. Whatever you do, it'll probably be solved by a skill challenge, unless it's something really clever and unexpected. For that reason, if you don't mind don't post skill checks until the challenge starts, if it starts

orkish_blade

Explorer
Bones takes a moment, considering Domenicos's words. "It's important that we stick together, but I am in favor of pressing on toward Thogorius's house first. We are more likely to gain information that may help us gain the advantage in the search for Thogorius."

[sblock=Quick Stats]
Bones, level 1 human rogue
hp 29/29, surges 7/7; AC 16, Fortitude 13, Reflex 17, Will 12;
available: easy target (daily), second wind, torturous strike; 3 daggers
expended: action point
[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
"It's important that we stick together, but I am in favor of pressing on toward Thogorius's house first."

GM: That's cool, but a bit too specific. I was asking for a general plan - your opinion seems to be "let's find Thogorius before anybody else does", which is sort of what I'm asking for. Normally that would lead to a clue, that points to somebody else that tells you something etc, but I was hoping to keep it a bit more abstract

Remove ads