• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Artemis' Pact

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Karma made the toughest Perception check, and I assume he pointed out exactly where the bats are to everybody, so you can all go head and read all the Perception boxes.

He has an action ready to go off when the umber hulk starts its turn and gets slowed.

[MENTION=100292]Neil1889[/MENTION]: You're right, 19 hp. Thanks for your honesty.
[/sblock]

The umber hulk stops its flailing and stands stock still, only its mandibles thrashing. Its head seems to vibrate from the psychic assult. From beneath its carapace ooze sluglike grubs which drop to the ground and lie in a festering heap, bringing with them a rancid smell of rotting meat. The parasites writhe horribly in pain as they hit the floor. More and more of the rotting slugs fall from the cracks in the umber hulk's armour until there is a writhing pile at its feet.

Alas for the hulk, as soon as the infestation has cleared out, Gil's illusionary insects begin squirming into the cracks they evacuated. The umber hulk cannot tell the new vermin from the real ones and begins flailing in pain once again.

As the beast shrinks back against the psychic assault, Karma's spell hits it, attacking its mind as well and pushing it over the edge. It turns and flees back up the tunnel it came out of, passing right through the static mote. Even after it moves out of range and the unnatural fear fades from its mind, it continues fleeing in rage and confusion.

Rather than follow their former host, the pile of rotting worms begins nosing through the water seeking other prey. The swarm splits in two, with one group heading for Artemis and the other heading in the opposite direction towards Karma. Half swimming, half crawling, the swarms are not able to make much headway through the water, but Karma is close enough that they are able to briefly surge forward and begin crawling up his legs. He tears the grubs off and flings them back into the water, but he can already feel their insidious rot begin to necrotize his flesh.

The buzzing insects wake the bat from its slumber and it lets out a high pitched shriek and dives towards its tormenter. It's animal brain can't tell who cast the spell, though, so it simply rakes at the closest moving animal it can see: Artemis. Two more bats, awoken and angered by its cry, so the same, swooping down on Karma and Bob. They are disoriented from their sudden awakening, though, and their attacks are easy to avoid. They pull up from their dives and return to perch on the ceiling above the rock piles - but now they are watching the conflict below alertly, angry at the intrusion.

Bob follows Gil's instruction and sloshes towards the edge of the pool, sticking close to the wall so that nothing can sneak up behind him.

[sblock=NPC Actions]
The Umber Hulk takes 8 psychic damage from Nightmare Eruption. The two rot grub swarms inside its carapace each take 2 psychic damage (half because it's a ranged attack on a swarm.) The rot grubs are at H10 and H11 (being swarms, they can share a space with other creatures.)

Since there are two swarms of parasite, I rolled an extra Winged Horde attack: Winged Horde at second parasite (1d20+8=14). The Umber Hulk, both Rot Grub Swarms and the Shadowhunter Bat at J14 all take 3 psychic damage, and cannot take opportunity actions until the end of Gil's next turn. The Rot Grub Swarms take an additional 10 damage (vulnerable to close and area attacks).

Maddened Umber Hulk:
As it begins its turn next to the static mote, it is slowed until the end of its turn. This triggers Shale's Cause Fear, which hits and causes it to move 4 squares, to C8.
Move: to A8

Rot Grub Swarm 1
Move: to J9
Standard: Attack Artemis with Infesting Bite: Infesting Bite at Artemis (1d20+7=25) Hit with 25 vs AC. Artemis takes 4 ongoing damage (save ends).

Rot Grub Swarm 2
Move+Standard: to K13

Shadowhunter Bats:
Standard: Flyby Attack: each bat moves 8 squares and makes a Tail Slash attack at one point during the movement. They do not provoke opportunity attacks for moving away from their targets.
Tail Slash at Karma, Bob, Artemis (1d20+7=12, 1d6+4=6, 1d20+7=11, 1d6+4=6, 1d20+7=8, 1d6+4=5) All three attacks miss.
Bat 1 misses Karma and moves to K11.
Bat 2 misses Bob and moves to K8. (By the time it passes Lilli and Karma it is near the ceiling again, so it is too far to provoke OA's.)
Bat 3 misses Artemis and moves to L11.

Farmer Bob:
Move: to M14 (the bat is too high to get an OA)
Standard: Full defense
[/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Stats]
Farmer Bob: AC 1719, Fort 1315, Reflex 1113, Will 1113
Maddened Umber Hulk: AC ??, Fort ??, Reflex ??, Will 17
Rot Grub Swarm: AC ??, Fort ??, Reflex ??, Will 13
Shadowhunter Bat: AC ??, Fort ??, Reflex ??, Will 11

Anyone who begins their turn next to a Rot Grub Swarm will take 5 damage, plus an extra 2 damage for each additional Rot Grub Swarm adjacent to them.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
Artemis: 28/29 hp, 5/7 surges, 4 ongoing damage (save ends)
Lilli: 19/22 hp, 4/7 surges
Gil: 23/26 hp, 5/7 surges
Shale: 31/33 hp, 6/7 surges
Farmer Bob: 2/2 hp, 0/1 surges, +2 to all defenses until start of next turn

Maddened Umber Hulk: 11 damage taken, cannot take opportunity actions until the end of Gil's next turn
Rot Grub Swarm 1: 15 damage taken, cannot take opportunity actions until the end of Gil's next turn
Rot Grub Swarm 2: 15 damage taken, cannot take opportunity actions until the end of Gil's next turn
Shadowhunter Bat 1: 0 damage taken
Shadowhunter Bat 2: 0 damage taken
Shadowhunter Bat 3: 3 damage taken, cannot take opportunity actions until the end of Gil's next turn
[/sblock]

External Map Link
[sblock=Map]
Climbing a rock pile takes a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check and you grant combat advantage while on top of them. The standing water and rock piles are difficult terrain. (Don't forget there is a rock pile beneath each bat. Yes, you can reach the ceiling for a melee attack from the top of the piles.)
ehhgqp.png

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
(please ignore this roll. I didn't understood well JnC's post and was taking an impossible action)

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
The accumulation of static back at the tunnel finally oscillates so quickly that becomes unstable and explodes in a large burst of lightning. Nobody was in the area, though.

Shale's orb flashes, and one of the bats at the ceiling seem to contract and expand quickly, finally dissapearing and appearing again near the water, badly mangled. As Shale's body flashes again, it's light being focused towards the large crystal on his hand, the area around the bat warps once again, twisting and bending. The flying critter dissapears with an audible "pop" and reappears at the mouth of the tunnel.

[sblock=actions]Crap, I've failed the rolls I didn't want to miss and made the ones I didn't mind if I failed. I'll try to explain the actions.

Start of turn the Mote explodes in a burst 3 area, catching no one.

Draw orb as minor.

As a free action use Forceful Push on K11 bat, sliding one square down. I assume they're clinging to the ceiling, 20 feet high. If they're not then this step's not neccesary.

As a standard action manifest Dimension Scramble centered at K12, 1 square high. This should catch both the swarm and the bat. It crits the bat for 12 damage, but I assume it doesn't hit the swarm, which was the important thing. Teleport the bat to I12, ground level.

Spend 1 action point for another standard action to manifest Dimension Scramble again, centered at K12 and catching again both enemies. I assume I failed to hit the worm swarm's Fort defense, but did hit the bat. Obviously ignore the 1d20+6 damage roll; the correct one is 11. If I hit the worms, since it's an area attack it should deal 21 damage. Teleport the bat to I11, ground level, and the worms (unlikely) to I10.

Move action 3 squares towards the south.

The plan was to teleport both swarm together and them move them again to the tunnel, freeing us to move and regroup at the south and allowing some good AoE action against both, but looks like that'll have to wait.

As a reminder, use one of both defensive powers (Intellect fortress or the Orb) if attacked and is useful[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats] Shalehttp://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Shale_(Someone) Shardmind psion 3
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16
Defenses: AC: 18, For: 13, Ref: 17, Will: 17
HP: 31/33, Bloodied: 16, Surge value: 8, Surges/day: 6/7 Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elemental
AP: 0, Power points: 4/4

Powers:
Static Mote, Dimensional Scramble, Betrayal
Shard Swarm, Far Hand, Forceful Push, Intellect Fortress, Orb of mental constitution (item), Second Wind
Living Missile, Amulet of resolution (item)[/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
"Great idea Shale! Try and get them together then blow then incinerate them!"

Artemis tries to force the worms back with his eldrtich blow but is unable to connect. He is more successful with a second swing, forcing the worms backward.

[sblock=actions]
Start: Take 4 damage
Minor: Warlock's curse: Rot grub swarm.
Standard: Eldritch Strike: Rot grub swarm: 1d20+8, 1d8+5+1d6 → ([1, 8], [4, 5, 2]) Roll Lookup . Natural 1.
AP: Eldritch Strike: 1d20+8, 1d8+5+1d6 → ([11, 8], [3, 5, 1]) Roll Lookup . Hit AC 19 for 9 damage. Slide the rot grub swarm to J-12.
Save: 1d20 → [5] = (5) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2951012/ . Failed.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Artemis stats]Atremis Harks- Male Human Hybrid: Warlord/Warlock 2
Darkspiral Aura: 0
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
Defenses: AC: 17, For: 17, Ref: 18, Will: 17
HP: 24/29, Bloodied: 14, Surge value: 7, Surges/day: 5/7 Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Primordial
AP: 0, Second Wind: used

Powers:
Eldritch Strike, Spiteful Glamor, Furious Smash, Darkspiral Aura
Battlefront Shift, Hammer and Anvil, Inspiring Word, Aid the Injured
Lead by Example[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli ducks and weaves as the flying creatures swoop around the room. She offers them the same treatment she gave the big crabbie thing. They are bombarded with images of bright daylight and flowers!

[sblock=actions]

Move to M6 (takes all my move and will prove an opportunity from beastie in K8).

Nightmare Eruption at the beastie in L11 (if it hits, it will damage the other beastie in K11) = Roll Lookup . Total: 25 !

I'm sure that a natural 20 hits. Damage is 13.

Nightmare Eruption (At Will Standard Ranged 10 Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Target: One creature
Attack: +5 vs. Will
Hit: 1d8+5 Psychic damage and any enemy adjacent to the target takes Psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier (+5)

[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Gil tries to divert focus away from poor Bob, recasting his minor light enchantment on Shale's Orb, causing Bob's rock to suddenly go dark. Simultaneously Gil casts a spell under is breathe, his own Orb glows slightly as the shadows cast by Shale's orb reach out and attack everything they can!

Both bats in the area are trapped instantly by the lacerating shadowstuff, only one of the swarms is lucky enough to be in a bright area thus avoiding entrapment in the gripping dark. The shadows don't stop thrashing, continuously lashing out at any who would dare close with them. Strangely the darkness loosens its grip on those bats that go limp, as if hesitating at delivering the final blow. The grubs on the other hand pop loudly as they explode from the pressure of the crushing darkness.

Gil skips onto the dry ground again, Work your way around the shadows, come this way! If we can all get past them, we can flee! Karma, try to take the bat alive! I could take it as a pet and study it! Think of the possibilities if it could be trained! What a delight!

[sblock=OOC]

Roll Lookup

Minor action cast light on Shale's Orb, 13 bluff to fake the caster of the spell, agro the bats away from Bob, toward the healthiest member of the group.

Standard (with stealth check 11 to hide the casting)
Grasping Shadows Enlarged; area burst 2 centered on K11
24 vs will Bat 1 HIT
15 vs will Bat 3 HIT
23 vs will Rot Grub Swarm 1 HIT
Auto-Miss vs will Rot Grub Swarm 2 MISS

Bat 1, Bat 3, take 6 psychic damage and Rot Grub Swarm takes 16 damage (Six of that damage being psychic), all three are also slowed until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn. This includes enlarged modifiers.

Effect:
Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes 5 psychic and is slowed until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn

Gil won't kill any of the bats, all non-lethal. Grubs get squished though.

Move (M16 -> L17 ->K18) Gil ends move in K18

[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministat]

Gil Human Hybrid Wizard/Artificer Multiclass Assassin
AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 17 Will 14 (+1 from ranged attack 5 squares away Cloak of Distortion)
HP 23/27 Surges 5/7 Surge value 6
Passive Insight 17, Passive Perception 17, Normal vision
Second Wind Not Used, AP total 0, Speed 6, Initiative +7, Languages Common, Draconic
At-will powers; Thundering Armor, Winged Horde, Scorching Burst, Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand
Encounter powers; Grasping Shadows, Shadow Step, Moonstride, Healing Infusion: Curative or Resistive, Orb Shift
Daily powers; Caustic Rampart

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Shale's power scrambles the air in a weird twisting vortex. After a moment, a bat emerges from it, looking confused, and a mass of grubs plops down into the water to merge with the other half of the swarm. Almost as confusingly, Gil performs weird tricks with light and shadow.

[sblock=OOC]
[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION]: Uh-oh. Shale's attack did hit the grub swarm. Which completely invalidates Artemis' action, since it's no longer next to him. Artemis can take his turn again. Lucky you, that means you get to re-roll that saving throw too. (Also, if the swarm had still been there when you started your turn, you would have taken 5 damage from its aura - see below.)

[MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION]: Your second hit does hit the grub swarm. Your second attack wouldn't hit the bat if it's centered at K12, though, since the bat was already moved to I12. So here's what I'll do: first attack is centered at L12. It hits the bat and moves it to J12. The second attack is centered at K12. It hits both, and moves the bat to I11 and the grub to I10.

[MENTION=100292]Neil1889[/MENTION]: Since there's nobody adjacent to your Nightmare Eruption target anymore, do you want to pick a different target? You'll have to reroll if so, though, since I'm making FourMonos reroll...

[MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION]: Grasping Shadows hits everything even in their new positions, so I'll have it go off as you posted it.

Bat 1 is hit twice by Dimension Scramble and once by Grasping Shadows, for 29 damage (bloodying it), teleported to I11, and slowed until the end of Gil's next turn.
Bat 3 is hit by Grasping Shadows for 6 damage, and slowed until the end of Gil's next turn.
Grub Swarm 1 is hit by Grasping Shadows for 16 damage (bloodying it) and slowed until the end of Gil's next turn.
Grub Swarm 2 is hit by Dimension Scramble for 21 damage (bloodying it) and teleported to I10.

Summary: I took Shale and Gil's actions as posted, Artemis must repost, Lilli can decide to repost or keep her existing action, Karma still has to go.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Stats]
Farmer Bob: AC 1719, Fort 1315, Reflex 1113, Will 1113
Maddened Umber Hulk: AC ??, Fort ??, Reflex ??, Will 17
Rot Grub Swarm: AC ??, Fort 13, Reflex ??, Will 13
Shadowhunter Bat: AC ??, Fort 13, Reflex ??, Will 11

Anyone who begins their turn next to a Rot Grub Swarm will take 5 damage, plus an extra 2 damage for each additional Rot Grub Swarm adjacent to them.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
Artemis: 28/29 hp, 5/7 surges, 4 ongoing damage (save ends)
Lilli: 19/22 hp, 4/7 surges
Gil: 23/26 hp, 5/7 surges
Shale: 31/33 hp, 6/7 surges
Farmer Bob: 2/2 hp, 0/1 surges, +2 to all defenses until start of next turn

Maddened Umber Hulk: 11 damage taken.
Rot Grub Swarm 1: 31 damage taken. Bloodied. Slowed until the end of Gil's next turn.
Rot Grub Swarm 2: 36 damage taken. Bloodied.
Shadowhunter Bat 1: 29 damage taken. Bloodied. Slowed until the end of Gil's next turn.
Shadowhunter Bat 2: 0 damage taken. On ceiling (20' up).
Shadowhunter Bat 3: 9 damage taken. Slowed until the end of Gil's next turn. On ceiling (20' up).
[/sblock]

External Map Link
[sblock=Map]
Climbing a rock pile takes a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check and you grant combat advantage while on top of them. The standing water and rock piles are difficult terrain. (Don't forget there is a rock pile beneath Bat 2 and Bat 3. Yes, you can reach the ceiling for a melee attack from the top of the piles.)

The grey square is Grasping Shadows. Any creature entering the area before the end of Gil's next turn takes 5 psychic damage and is slowed until the end of Gil's next turn.

29qi5bt.png

[/sblock]

Remove ads