D&D General Adventure Begins D&D introductory boardgame

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well, it’s finally been released to pretty much zero fanfare. Haven’t seen it advertised anywhere, and only heard about it because someone mentioned it the other day.

Looks like it’s a decent game after a quick overview, albeit very basic mechanically. Which is to be expected based on the type of product it is. Replayability after the four bosses are defeated is pretty low, which is a bit of a disappointment. But I imagine it would be easy to add expansions. One other disappointment was how the customization for your characters is false. Yeah, you get to select which abilities your character get, but mechanically they are all identical. See the image below. I would have liked to see more mechanical variation.

Attachments

• F4E72055-C16C-49E8-87FC-FDE13F0AFFC0.jpeg
    F4E72055-C16C-49E8-87FC-FDE13F0AFFC0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
When I said this was released with zero fanfare, I guess I wasn't kidding. It's been officially released, and no one is even talking about it at all lol. Maybe they should have called it "D&D Apathy"

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I had high hopes for this game, but you are right, the lack of hype is notable. I have not listened to DragonTalk Podcast in the last two weeks, does anyone know if they at least brought it up?

G

Guest 6801328

I received mine and opened the box. Wasn't sure what to expect so I can't say whether I'm pleased or disappointed. Haven't played it with the family yet, but will report when I do. (Caveat: both of my children are younger than the recommended "10+" age.)

One thing I like, that differs from canonical D&D, is that there are a number of mechanics that ask the players to inventively describe their actions. E.g., "Describe how you use nature to damage your foe, and add X" or things of that type.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I guess my question would be... I introduced my then 7 or 8 yo (?) to Dungeon and Munchkin Treasure Hunt. Would this have been better?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I doubt hype is particularly relevant for this type of product; it's a filler that gets put on the shelves at Target/Walmart/other retail locations to take advantage of the moderate familiarity people have with the D&D name for holiday sales.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Played the first game with the kid. While mechanically it's all the same for every ability, what I really like about the game is that every special maneuver asks you to describe the maneuver.

An example for the dragonborn is: "describe how you use trickery by using an item from your pack", then apply the attack roll results.

There are also scenario cards like "otto's irrisistable dance. Every player dances, and the DM decides who was best bthey get +1 gold"

Those things really help bring in the role playing into D&D, which is where most of the fun of this game comes in.

The art for the game is, as per usual with WotC's D&D branch, just straight up mediocre. I don't understand how Magic can have so much beautiful art but for almost every D&D product they get the same low to middling quality art for it. Where's all the money for these books going?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Played the first game with the kid. While mechanically it's all the same for every ability, what I really like about the game is that every special maneuver asks you to describe the maneuver.

An example for the dragonborn is: "describe how you use trickery by using an item from your pack", then apply the attack roll results.

There are also scenario cards like "otto's irrisistable dance. Every player dances, and the DM decides who was best bthey get +1 gold"

Those things really help bring in the role playing into D&D, which is where most of the fun of this game comes in.
I really like that. I ask basically those same kinds of questions to my players, for (it sounds like) the same reasons. It's good to hear an official product, of any type, encouraging the same approach.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases