• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

"Yes, Ghourra, but what makes you think they will breech in more then one place?

True, we don't control where, but we don't have much of retreating space. As I understand, we need a consecrated altar to fully destroy the thing.

But, Deimos, as was mentioned, could we build up some shield, maybe Tena and me with your aid so we control the amount of energy that makes it out to them?"
Bellegon motions vaguely toward the walls

"That way, even if we take some backlash, we're still enclosed, they are outside of consecrated place and no better off. And without the crystal they may leave.

As for opening the temple, I'd prefer we open it in the lower room or this central hole so we shoot down and they need to climb up. If we agree on such course, of course."

Arcana (1d20+11=17) - what does Bellegon think? Would such shield be viable?

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
GM: First off, folks, I love this discussion. I never thought such a heated talk would happen but the character's personalities are just the right mix to create such tension. I'd give all of you XP if I didn't need to "spread it around" some more.

As for creating a shield to contain the energy, you don't think a ritual created on such a short notice would be able to contain energy strong enough to animate all the undead in such a large area. If you had a few uninterrupted days, you could do something, but not while being assaulted on all sides by such a horde.

"So, we're waiting for a breach before our mage decides it might be smart to finish the crystal in which case he won't be able to help with the defending.

On the other hand, we have the idea of letting undead enter on our own and prolong the fighting needed without dealing with the crystal.

Finally, we could jsut do the ritual in relative peace and deal with the consequences as they come.

At least now we have some reprieve to discuss everything cooly...more or less."
drow eyes Ghourra

"I don't think we could prevent the energy outburst whatever form it takes. Maybe only lessen it a bit or direct it. Anyone have any other ideas? Should we vote?

My vote would be for immediate destruction of the crystal while we're safe to conduct it and we have fortified position to defend. That way we could retreat as the need comes or take a chance and run for it. But I will do as majority decides as would, I hope, everyone else."
with this he looks at the thiefling, since his incooperation would grind the whole thing to a halt.

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

"Defend-able position? This zombies breached twice and I killed most of them with my spells. Currently we have a chance to hold them back. Are you really suggesting to give that up by releasing the crystal's energy to make them stronger? And where do you want to retreat?
Fill the holes in you plan first before trying to point out the ones in mine.

But you are right in something...
out there are so many that opening one side will not necessarily remove the attacks on the other weak points.

I still think we can hold them back if we work together. But I'm not sure we will succeed after feeding them the crystal's energy all at once."
Deimos tries to argue.

[sblock=OOC]
could I try to make a check to deduce if the destruction by day will have any effect on the zombies or on us?

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

"It is fortified. Imagine how this would end if we were caught out there in the woods. They breached before we locked down as much as we were able. I would retreat into that rat hole we killed the mummy in. Not much, but better then having the crystal and be unable to retreat.

I was not pointing out holes. I did think this through, much more then you did since you're so sure you're right and are holding to your position, not considering other options."

OOC: just checked. horticulture told you the destruction COULD not WOULD empower those undead, so I'll look over the crystal now.

"Now, you didn't say what would you do if we were breached before the dawn. While you're thinking on it, let me have the crystal. Don't worry I won't try to destroy it on my own. I'm well versed in dark magics so maybe able to determine something you missed."

Bellegon sits cross-legged facing away from the party and opens himself up to the intricacies of magics within the crystal. His own aura dims as the crystal draws negative energy inside.

Arcana to analyze the crystal (1d20+11=30)
[sblock=horticulture]
[MENTION=6671055]horticulture[/MENTION]

Questions:
Would the undead really be empowered?
What would be the area of such outburst?
Would the destruction of the crystal affect us?

Could we create a warding circle to at least lessen the impact on us, if we cannot prevent it's blast to the undead?

Could we create something similar that would channel the energy (maybe into the altar of at least in a line or even blast instead of burst) - so that it empowers only part of the undead (and we would of course choose the side best of us :)

Roll as appropriate when you consider this initial roll insufficient, apply the roll for at least first two, please, as they are related...

[/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
OOC: I think we should put this to a vote.

Either Destroy crystal OR Wait till Dawn. Majority rules
Brondin: Destroy crystal
Bellegon: ???
Deimos: ???
Tana: ???
Ghourra: ???

OOC: I already voted. IF we deem waiting not feasible, destroy the crystal now. But I'd like to see what horticulture says on my questions first.

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: I already voted. IF we deem waiting not feasible, destroy the crystal now. But I'd like to see what horticulture says on my questions first.
OOC: I want to wait, too. And if Bellegon confirms Deimos fears and expectations what happens, he will not help destroying it, no matter what the others say.

Of course you will, and you will like it! Because if we don't get your help we'll do it inexpertly and maybe unleash the energy without destroying it :) And you die any way you turn it. ;)

Remove ads