D&D 5E Adventure ideas for kids

Tormyr

Adventurer
I am thinking of starting a 5e game for my 10 year old daughter and some of her school friends. I am looking for adventure ideas that are relatively low on violence and scary stuff with lots of other ways to succeed at the tasks required. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alternatively, I am also looking at the Tails of Equestria RPG as an option. Does anyone have experience with that yet?

aco175

Legend
Most everything I'm thinking of involved killing things and taking their loot. You could modify things like in cartoons where the monsters are ghosts and holograms that just disappear in a puff to go back to their home realm instead of die. Or better, like in GI Joe where the tank or plane would blow up and you see the pilot parachute out at the last minute.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Something along the lines of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (or Wizard of Oz) might be a good seed point?

Have your daughter and her friends get transported to some alternate universe and the adventure is finding their way back home, but encountering all kinds of strange characters and side quests on their way? Have them choose their class once they've landed in their new reality?

Tormyr

Adventurer
Most everything I'm thinking of involved killing things and taking their loot. You could modify things like in cartoons where the monsters are ghosts and holograms that just disappear in a puff to go back to their home realm instead of die. Or better, like in GI Joe where the tank or plane would blow up and you see the pilot parachute out at the last minute.

I seem to recall even the old D&D cartoon had very little actual killing. Maybe I need to go back and watch that.

Something along the lines of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (or Wizard of Oz) might be a good seed point?

Have your daughter and her friends get transported to some alternate universe and the adventure is finding their way back home, but encountering all kinds of strange characters and side quests on their way? Have them choose their class once they've landed in their new reality?

That is a good idea, and would fit into the D&D cartoon world setting. Maybe I could transport them in, have them choose a race that they appear as in the new world, lay out the different kinds of things the classes do so they can choose, and set them up with an iconic item that fit with the character class a la the cartoon.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The old D&D cartoon is amazingly nonviolent. It is well worth revisiting for inspiration, especially given the character development shown over the course for the series.

On point: Tails of Equestria is an amazing rules-light system, and the adventures published for it (one in the core book, one in the boxed set with dice and a GM screen and some character sheets) follow the show's friendship-focused and nonviolent tendencies perfectly.

The only gripe I have with it is the typos in the core book, but they don't make the game unplayable.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That is a good idea, and would fit into the D&D cartoon world setting. Maybe I could transport them in, have them choose a race that they appear as in the new world, lay out the different kinds of things the classes do so they can choose, and set them up with an iconic item that fit with the character class a la the cartoon.

Perhaps they land in some castle and are immediately told to stop sitting idly about and get busy. The various skill masters are looking for apprentices and they should each find one and make themselves useful. These could then become quest givers with the big quest given by the lord or lady of the castle that sends them off on their grand adventure. Perhaps this person knows they're not really from this world and tells them to seek out some ancient seer who will help them find their way home?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases