Adventure in the Open Skies: The Liralen Irregulars (Eberron, Updated 5/10)

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I would also like to chime in about how excellent as your description of the battle, Phoenix. It is definitely one of the draws (one of many) to your story hour. I love seeing how the characters interact with the environment as a result of a good or bad roll. Very well done. Another great update.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
I would also like to chime in about how excellent as your description of the battle, Phoenix. It is definitely one of the draws (one of many) to your story hour. I love seeing how the characters interact with the environment as a result of a good or bad roll. Very well done. Another great update.

Thanks jeremy_dnd and Krafus! I spent a lot of time working on those battle descriptions in this update, I'm really glad that it's enjoyable. :D

At this point, we're 3rd level. Ruel is enjoying the giddy thrill of throwing second level spells around (aside from that errant Pyrotechnics at Elaydren). ;)

Micah

First Post
Hey PhoenixAsh

The Dundjinni forums have been having an art contest appropriate to the holiday. As I was creating these I couldn't help but think what a mess they could cause in the game.

Ruel's wisdom modifier wouldn't interfere with his use of one of these,
Alexandre might chug one to see exactly how much alcohol it has in it,
and I think scariest of all, it could land in Dox's stash.

Not that you guys have time to play with such things right now, what with saving the world and all. . . :p

Attachments

• Love Potion 9c.png
    Love Potion 9c.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 128
  • love potion 8b.png
    love potion 8b.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 113

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update #37: A Guide Pays Off

Feels nice to pick up the digital pen again...

Sasha leads the way inside the spire, a piercing glass nail in the coffin of Fallen district. The Irregulars fan out soon after her, Elisa flanks her to her right, greatsword resting against her shoulder. Loki is to her left, the half-giant’s axe held firmly in both hands. Alexandre moves quickly towards a passage extending to her left, his thinblade and dagger drawn, checking it for any threats. Audric, with heavy crossbow held in tow does the same to the right. Dox follows behind, along with Ruel, who holds the group’s everbright lantern high, illuminating the crumpled and fused chamber of rock and glass.

Tension runs high among them. Fallen has an oppressive feel that is palpable, a foul, provocative aura that sets anyone on edge. Sasha has lived in Fallen for three years, she is used to it – the Irregulars are not.

Alexandre flexes his fingers around his dagger, gripping it tightly. He whispers harshly, through gritted teeth, “I hear more voices, more Ravers, get ready!”

“No!” Sasha commands sternly. She strides up to him and gives him a hard look, “Remember your promise. You agreed not to shed blood needlessly.”

Not giving him a chance to respond, she steps into the dark passageway. She is fully aware she is presenting herself as a target, if these are truly mad or hostile Ravers. She doesn’t look back, but the sudden wash of lantern light suggests that at least Ruel has moved behind her. Softly she calls out, “Hello? Is anyone there? Won’t you come out? We are friends.”

She’s certain she hears Alexandre groan from behind her. She resists the urge to turn around and slap him.

“Sa… Sa?” A disheveled face peers out into the corridor. She recognizes it even in the faint lantern light and smiles. “Sa-sa!” The man comes all the way out in the open, but hesitates at the armed bunch of Irregulars behind her.

“It’s okay Crah. They are friendly,” Sasha says gently. Following her initiative, the Irregulars sheath or at least lower their weapons. The man grins and comes up to Sasha and gives her a fierce, friendly hug.

Sasha gently separates him after returning the hug, but holds him by the shoulders. Behind him she can see the other members of his gang, the Nightstalkers peeking out, but none venture any further when taking in the large armed group behind her. “Crah, have you seen any bad gangs inside? We’re looking for a bad gang that stole something they shouldn’t have.”

“Bad gang, yes,” nods eagerly. “Bad men and bad… gone dogs.”

“’Gone dogs?’ Ruel questions suddenly from behind. “What are these ‘gone dogs’?”

Crah looks at the wizard strangely for a moment, then looks back to Sasha. “Here. Then… gone. Gone dogs. Very bad.”

“We’re going to talk to them, okay? Can you show us where they are?” Sasha’s voice is gentle.

“Yes, I show. Come!” Crah grabs her by the arm and urges her down the corridor. She follows, and the Irregulars press into the corridor behind her. As they pass the chamber where the rest of Crah’s gang huddles, they quickly dart away from the Irregulars, afraid. Stoically, the Irregulars pass them by with barely a glance between them.

Crah doesn’t tug Sasha far. “There. Right, then up. Careful Sasa, very bad!” Crah looks wide-eyed at Sasha, imploring her for caution.

Sasha smiles and gently pulls her arm free, “Thank you, Crah. We’ll be very careful. These men and women will protect me.”

Crah looks at the Irregulars, then nods. “Strong gang. Good. I go.” Crah leaves them, skulking back past the rest of the group. Crah and each Irregular give each other as wide a berth as possible in the cramped corridor.

“Sasha, why don’t you let me go first? Whatever is ‘very bad’ up there, I’d like to see it before it sees… or hears us.” Dox squeezes forward, after Crah has left. He barely goes 2 steps before his foot slips into a pile of crushed glass with a loud ‘crunch’. He winces, looking back at Sasha with a self-depreciating shrug. She smiles sympathetically.

Despite his misstep, he continues forward, but not far before coming up to an abrupt stop. After a moment he shakes his head, and then returns to the Irregulars. “Something is… babbling up ahead.”

Elisa sighs, “Babbling!? Are you sure?”

Dox nods quickly, “Yes! I can’t make out what its saying, but it just sounds like really quiet babbling.”

Sasha nods, “Let’s go forward together. Dox, you first. Please.”

Dox leads them forward, one by one they follow after him. They hear the babbling Dox heard, one after the other. Some stop in their tracks to try and pick out the words to it, and only continue when prodded by the person behind them. Sasha observes this with a soft frown, though none of the Irregulars seem to have any ill effects from hearing the disturbing whisper.

They follow the babble to an open doorway, leading to a small room, still mostly intact despite its proximity to the crash site of the glass spire.

“You gonna try and talk to it?” Alexandre smirks at Sasha.

“No,” Sasha responds seriously. “I think this is a mad spirit, we should banish it quickly. I should be able to, if it is what I think.”

“By all means,” Audric agrees immediately.

The Irregulars scramble forward, Dox and Sasha still in the lead. The babbling doesn’t stop, but it does intensify as its source detects their approach.

The babbling creature hovers spectrally a couple feet off the ground in the small room. Its form wavers upwards, as if constantly consumed in a dark figure. Its figure is poorly formed, and only two arms can be distinguished from its torso. It is faceless, but conveys a terrible, insane anger as it focuses on the living creatures approaching it. Wrathfully, it turns upon the one who angers it the most – the cleric of Dol Arrah. Shrieking, it grasps at her, intent on wringing her neck. Its fingers have no strength, and pass harmlessly through Sasha’s armor and skin. Its touch, however, is madness. Sasha reels, paling as the creature assails her very sanity. Her faith, strong as iron, sustains her – yet she feels the strength of her connection to the divine weaken and wither. Her cry is strangled, not from the creature’s insubstantial grip, but from the horror of this terrifying realization.

Tears spring from her eyes, as she grips her holy symbol lying over her rose-embroidered chest plate. With a hoarse voice, she calls out, “Dol Arrah! Bring light to end this madness!” She raises her symbol high and it flares brightly in answer to her cry, a blinding flash of light explodes from the symbol and the creature is thrust back, and then ripped apart by the greater turning. The light from her symbol lingers briefly in her golden hair, illuminating it softly before it fades, along with the maddening babbling.

“What was that?” Loki asks, letting out a heavy, relieved sigh after it disappears.

“It was the spirit of a creature that took its own life, in grief or madness here. It is called an ‘Allip’.” Sasha replies, laying the holy symbol carefully back against her armor. “It is a great mercy that it has been driven away – hopefully it will find a measure of peace now.”

With the Allip gone, the Irregulars search for a way forward. The outside wall of the glass spire blocks further progress, but they discover that there is a narrow passage circling the outside of the glass wall, braced against one of the stone walls. It is a tight fit, especially for Loki, and none of the Irregulars make it through without cuts or abrasions in their clothing and skin.

First through, Dox sucks on his bleeding little finger. His eyes widen as he realizes the Irregulars have made it through inside the glass tower. Looking down, he is amused to find he is walking on what was built as the ceiling – the glass tower obviously flipped around before hitting the ground. Furniture is scattered across the floor, as well as a very secure looking metal chest. Grinning, his nicked finger is quickly forgotten, “Nice, jackpot!”

Bending over it, he pulls out his tools and inspects it quickly for traps. “No traps, that’s good. The lock is pretty good, but not good enough…” His picks make short work of the lock and it gives with a satisfying click. Pulling off the lock he opens the lid.

Unfortunately, he missed the slender protruding wire between lid and case, which, with equal misfortune, is rigged to a magical device which showers the area around the chest with arcs of electricity!

Dox’s only warning is a sudden thrum and a prickle on his skin, but his reflexes are sharp and take over as soon as he is conscious of the danger. Throwing himself backward he flips head over heels, landing on all fours several feet from the discharging box.

Alexandre whistles, as he emerges from the cramped tunnel, “Nice moves, that looked like it would have hurt.”

Dox laughs, “Probably. Well, I take care of the traps, one way or another!”

Audric shakes his head, “Are you sure it won’t do that again?”

Dox nods, “Oh yes. Well, pretty sure. Most traps don’t go off twice.”

Audric sighs, “You can check and make sure.”

Dox shrugs and steps up to the box, then opens it once again. Sure enough, the trap doesn’t spring again. Still, he disables it – magic can be tricky, and it could recharge in a few minutes. He pulls out a few sheets of paper, “Letters of credit! Think they’re still good?” He hands them to Audric behind him.

Audric considers, and then nods, “They are not made out to anyone in particular. And I don’t believe Kundarak typically has expiration dates for these.” He carefully tucks the bank notes away.

Dox pulls out a small rod, turning it over in his hands a couple time, “Ruel, is this a wand? It looks odd for one.”

Ruel takes the rod from Dox, then shakes his head, “Close. It is a rod. I recognize it, it is attuned to dragonmark magic. Most likely it would affect the strength of a dragonmark ability.”

“Magic rods are worth a lot, aren’t they!” Dox exclaims.

Ruel smiles faintly, “Most are, but this one would not be particularly valuable. It has only a minor effect on the least of dragonmarks. We should hold on to it for now, I think.”

Audric agrees quickly, “Yes. I don’t think we should sell that.” Ruel raises an eyebrow at Audric’s unexpected agreement, but nods and stashes the rod in his belt.

Elisa, bored with the lack of weaponry in the metal chest, walks up to a stairway that leads upwards. She notes that the actual stairs are on the top of the stairway, and there is only a smooth incline to use to ascend. “I think this might be a problem.”

Sasha walks up to Elisa and shakes her head softly, “I cannot climb this.”

Ruel shines the lantern up the stairway and smiles, “It shouldn’t be too bad, with a rope. You think you can hook this, Elisa?” He withdraws a grappling hook and length of rope from his Handy Haversack and hands it to her.

“Hah! No problem!” It takes a couple throws, but Elisa soon hooks the rope at the top of the stairwell. Giving it a couple strong tugs, she decides it is stable enough and using the rope as a hand hold, she walks up the incline with ease.

“Cramped and dark up here guys, but room for everyone. Come on, who’s next?”

Alexandre volunteers, and he is halfway up the stairway when Elisa hears a low growl from behind her. Turning, she sees it is from a dog. Then in an instant it is gone. An instant later it reappears and bites at her, and she just snatches her leg away from it. Then it is gone again.

Drawing her greatsword out she exclaims, “Crap! Gone dogs!”

Micah

First Post
Sweet! It's good to see the storyhour back!
Just was skimming through the bulk of it and enjoying the past games. I'd forgotten navigating those upside-down stairwells.

I hadn't forgotten the "gone dogs" though or what happened next. As part of the DM team it was a learning experience for us in large group mechanics, topped off by that running in place feeling you get when one of your players does something totally unexpected. . . .

Great update PhoenixAsh!!!

toetapper1

First Post
From the mind of Audric

YEAH!!! Great to see you posting again PhonenixAsh! We've really enjoyed continuing this game, it takes us to exciting places and fantastic plots lines by our DM's. It's always so enjoyable to be able to read the posts - it's like enjoying the evenings all over again! :D
Coming from the background Audric does :uhoh: I remember looking at Sasha and thinking how trusting can a person be? Walking into a dark passageway and ANNOUNCING that we're here - WHAT? :eek: But her instincts were dead on and Audric was beginning to see how other members of the group would push him out of his cynical thought processes and perhaps trusting other members of the group was possible. It was a subtle thing in the overall game play but this was the beginning of Audric's shift in thought about Sasha (not as a naive person but a strong minded courageous person who just had more faith in people than Audric) and also really belonging to a group.
THANKS PHOENIXASH FOR POSTING!! I hope others outside of our group start back up reading this thread too - you are a great writer. And THANKS again to our DM's who have great plot lines and AMAZING world class maps!

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Update#38: Unexpected Transformation

Elisa soon finds that no less than three of the ‘gone dogs’ are up where she is. They nip at her and draw blood. Readying her weapon, she slashes one of them, returning the favor. She’s inhibited by the darkness, but using Mage Hand Ruel raises the lantern up to give her light. The swifter Irregulars, Dox and Alexandre scurry up the rope to help her, but in the tight confines they aren’t able to take the fight to the dogs. Spreading out, they weather repeated attacks while the other Irregulars struggle up the stairway more slowly.

This level of the inverted glass spire is a warren of tight passageways, crumpled in places and tricky to navigate. Despite their best attempts to ready spells and attacks against the dogs’ appearance, the Irregulars are unable to defeat them. The dogs are injured, but the Irregulars soon find themselves in worse shape. They eventually give up trying to fight the dogs altogether, and simply press forward, searching for a place where they can properly work as a group, rather than being strung out through the twisting passages. After a grueling minute they make it, and huddle up with weapons ready. Sasha uses her divine magic to cure the worst of their injuries.

In the room they have entered, however, the dogs do not pursue them. After a minute’s pause, they realize they have happened into a safe haven. Relieved, they take stock of the situation – there is another upside-down set of stairs ascending further upwards.

“We may have missed something back in those passages,” Loki points out.

“I’ll be damned if I’m going back in there! What were those things anyways?” Elisa grimaces.

“Blink dogs I believe. ‘Gone dogs’… I should have made the connection,” Ruel muses. “I am surprised they were so hostile.”

“We’ll have to go back through them eventually,” Loki folds his arms.

“But not yet,” Alexandre interjects. “Maybe we can find a way to put those doggies down up there. Come on, Elisa throw the rope!

“I don’t have it! Did anyone remember it?”

“I did,” Ruel says smoothly, producing it for Elisa.

“Good man, holding the light and you remembered the rope! Guess wizards are good for something after all,” she smirks.

Ruel laughs, “Glad you think so.”

Elisa throws the grappling hook and secures the rope up to the next floor. Alexandre is first to climb up this time. When he reaches the top he sees another group of Ravers. They do not notice him, however, as they are paying rapt attention to something that he can’t make out from his vantage point. “More Ravers,” he whispers harshly down towards the rest below.

“Help me up!” Sasha asks urgently, pushing forward. In her full plate, Sasha struggles to get up the stairway, but with Elisa pushing from below and Alexandre helping to pull her up from above she makes it. Most of the rest of the Irregulars follow her up into the cramped space, though Ruel and Loki are left alone below – there is simply no room for them until the others press into the room with the Ravers.

“I’m going to try and reason with them,” Sasha says quietly. “Please try not to aggravate them.”

“All yours missy,” Alexandre smirks.

Taking a deep breath, Sasha emerges into the room. There are a half-dozen Ravers, and all seem alarmed at her presence. They grab makeshift clubs and move aggressively towards her. Quickly she takes in the tattoos on their hands – that of the Stonekeepers. These are the Ravers the Irregulars are looking for.

Sasha speaks quickly, “Please, I mean no harm! May I come in and talk?”

“No!” the lead woman thrusts her arms out in front of her, scowling. “No, go away! Or we make go!”

“Won’t you listen? That can’t hurt, can it? I just want to talk.” Sasha pleads.

The Raver looks closely at her, then at the rest of the Irregulars clustered behind her. “Just you. Come,” she gestures with her hand.

Sasha steps forward, taking in the whole of the room quickly. The room is divided in half by a thick set of opaque glass walls, but from the center of the room she can see its entirety, through a wide opening in the center of the dividing wall. The back corner of the room is full of small, fuzzy pups, watched over by a canine licking an injury to her flank – a mother and her litter. On seeing Sasha the canine looks alarmed, and herds her puppies back out of sight.

Through a wide opening in the central glass wall, she observes a massive, majestic statue – what appears to be an angel. Inside a standing figure, most certainly not a Raver to her experienced eye chants softly. She watches him then pick up the stone arm the Irregulars wish to recover and attach it to where it was broken off of the large statue. As he places it at the shoulder, it mends seamlessly back together. Two more canines, along with one more Raver observe her approach sternly. She feels the collective gaze of the rest of the Ravers on her back, and she get’s the sense that they are not pleased that their fellow Stonekeeper allowed her to pass.

Ruel, meanwhile – finally climbs up to join the rest of the Irregulars, appraising the situation silently.

Sasha subtly intones her prepared Enthrall spell. “I don’t want to fight. I just want to talk to you, become friends. I am looking for something, you can let me inside. It’s okay.” She smiles and the magic takes hold on many of the Stonekeepers. She can still feel the stares behind her turn from hatred to rapt attention, and most of them lower their weapons and watch her, entranced. The one Raver before her furrows his brow. He is unaffected, but does not know what to make of the spell’s effect on his and keeps his place.

The man who repaired the statue is also unaffected, but turns to face her. He is dressed in a garish rainbow of colors, wholly out of place in the grey and black misery of the Fallen spire. “What are you doing here?”

“My name is Sasha, I’ve come to talk to you,” Sasha says, maintaining her Enthrall spell, while doing her best to answer.

“You’re interrupting sacred rites,” the man glowers.

“I apologize,” Sasha replies. “I think that I have a connection with your st… ceremony.”

“Are you ready to take the blood oath?” he asks immediately.

“I think I might, I’d like to know more about it,” she replies, trying to keep him talking. Abruptly a glass shard on the floor flings itself off the floor and shatters against the corner of the wall. Sasha flinches, but cautiously takes a step closer. “Ah… when your worship is over, then…?”

The man stares hard at her, “You are not a follower.”

“If you let me, I can show you! I can show you the connection!” she exclaims.

Another glass shard lifts off the floor and flings itself against a wall. “Sythriel will deal with you shortly… Oh! I’m so glad the college sent you, you came just in time!” the colorful man exclaims incongruently. “I can certainly use your help right now, a piece is missing, can you help me find it?”

Taken aback, Sasha hesitates a moment, “You need help finding the last piece?”

“Yes, of course! Just one piece is missing, see here, look! Just his left eye is missing,” he gestures. Indeed, the left eye of the statue is missing. That’s the only thing. Years of hard labor down to a single piece of stone! I’m so excited!” the man rambles, sounding every bit like a college professor.

“What will you do with the statue once it is complete?” Sasha asks.

“A museum, perhaps a university, oh! Maybe one of the art galleries will pay for it! It’s certainly an exciting piece and I feel it must have a great story and history behind it,” he exclaims.

“I feel that too!” Sasha exclaims. “Ah, I have a friend who is… skilled at understanding these kinds of works of art, can he take a look at it too?”

“Of course,” the man smiles. “We need all the help we can get.”

Sasha’s eyes widen as suddenly the man darts behind the statue, “Mommy! Keep the doggy away! Keep the big doggy away! Nanny! Please keep it away, don’t let it bite me!”

“Ah… well, I’ll protect you!” Sasha casts a wide-eyed look back at the Irregulars, utterly befuddled at how to deal with this man.

“I don’t know, you look pretty scary. I’m not supposed to talk with scary people. I want my Nanny back,” the man utters childishly.

“Do you want me to find her?” Sasha asks gently. Two more glass shards shoot off the floor, hurtling at her this time. The glass strikes her chestplate, shattering startlingly, but harmlessly. Taking a half-step back, she decides she doesn’t want to deal with the man alone anymore. Turning to the enthralled female Raver she says calmly, “My friend wants me to bring my friends here, okay?”

The Stonekeeper nods immediately and steps aside, still beguiled by the cleric. The Irregulars hesitate, but after a moment Ruel slips forward to stand beside Sasha, his eyes glowing under the effects of Detect Magic, cast while still clustered with the rest of the Irregulars.

Sasha introduces him while he tries to analyze the magical auras in the room, “This is my friend, he’s going to help.”

Suddenly there is the sound of footsteps crunching on the glass, though there is no visible source to the sound. Around them the Stonekeepers are shaking off the effects of the Enthrall spell as Sasha’s conversation becomes disjointed, though they do not intervene in the conversation between Sasha and Ruel and the man in the colorful clothing.

“What seems to be the problem? Ruel asks him, not unkindly.

The man’s gaze fastens on Ruel, “I demand an explanation for your intrusion, and reparations for the deaths you’ve caused!”

“What do you mean?” Ruel replies, puzzled. Once again two shards of glass lance out, one at Ruel, one at Sasha. The later again shatters harmlessly on the clerics armor, but the former draws blood – cutting his cheek below his left eye. He flinches, then shudders covering his face with both hands. He doubles over, and suddenly changes. His skin smoothes and turns a stony alabaster, his clothing reforms into the simple garments the angelic statue wears, he seems to grow taller by nearly a foot and wings sprout from his back. When he draws his hands away and straightens, his left eye is missing – only an empty socket remaining.

The colorful man draws in a breath, “Sythriel!”

Micah

First Post
This is great timing PhoenixAsh! I just realized that these posts will save me a lot of time in discussing "site history" in our upcoming game.

Some DM background on the session posted:
Colrac Hall in Godsgate was pierced by one of the spires or spinnerets from the Glass Tower when it collapsed. The spire landed upsidedown and it's internal construction was such that several levels survived fairly intact. Most of these levels used to belong to a group of "entreprenuers" who were breeding blink dogs. They also had a training facility in the form of a maze on one of the levels. Some of the dogs survived and Ravers found and befriended the creatures.

It all sounded very unique and a lot of fun. An upsidedown maze with blink dogs. It would be a lot of fun for a smaller party. At the time we had seven PCs navigating the area and it took an entire session to get through the maze. By the end of the evening it felt slowgoing and not very satisfying.

We learned about the advantages of large open combat spaces through that game. * Thankfully our next session started out quickly, the negotiation with the memmelith was fast paced and Ruel's decision to use his disguise self in a rather untraditional way kept us on our toes trying to react.

*Which has produced some really interesting maps including a very spacious bathroom. . . . :heh:

Remove ads